Roman-esque fantasy recommendations?

Lindsey Davis - Falco series - murder mystery in Ancient Rome. She keeps up to date with archaeological discoveries so all seems pretty accurate to me. Fairly light read. I found the first one I tried (can't remember which it was) hard to get into. Then I listened to a book tape of one and once I had "Falco's voice" in my head from that, I romped through them.

For great standalone books set in ancient Rome, Imperium by Robert Harris and Julian by Gore Vidal are among the best - the Harris is now technically part of a trilogy, but I believe it was originally written as a standalone.

Robert Fabbri's Vespasian series has been great reading so far - enough detail to really give a sense of setting and culture, but written to a good pace, too. :)

If you want something with a little more fantasy in it, I might suggest The Sword in the Storm or Lion of Macedon, both by David Gemmell, but both solid fantasy novels set in the ancient world (Celt/Roman, and Greece accordingly).

Killer by Karl Edward Wagner and David Drake . A deadly alien create is accidentally set loose in the ancient Rome

Ranks of Bronze by David Drake. Aliens kidnap an entire Roman Legion for use mercenaries to use in their wars agains lo Tech alone planets

Lest Darkness Falls L Sprague de Camp a 20the century man Martin Padway via a lighting bolt get transport back to 6th Century Rome

The Clash od Eagles Trilogy by Alan Smale

1.Clash of Eagles
2.Eagles in Exile
3. Eagle and Empire
Alt History history the Roan Empire in 1218 AD still stands and is about to launch a conquest of North America . In this alt world Roman greatest rip the Mongol Empire which the are at war with.