Nice weather for writing???

Bowler1

Senile Supporter
Supporter
I shouldn't complain - but I will!

Finally the UK has nice weather and I've discovered I can't write when I'm hot. My concentration slips away, not even editing which I like to do. It could be the sticky nights making me tired, it could just be an Irishman missing damp weather. Whatever it is, my word count for the last two weeks has been very, very low.

Is this just me?

I doubt that anybody likes to do much writing, or any other kind of mental or physical labor, when the weather is sultry. Give me a nice, cool, crisp autumn day, or a light rain, or (to be more realistic) an air-conditioned room.

Perhaps the weather could inspire you to write something that vividly conveys the way you feel. Something set in a swamp or jungle, maybe.

Hot weather drains me, which makes writing and a lot of other things sheer drudgery.

(Why then, you may ask, does she live in California? Because the town I live in has comparatively few hot days -- and they aren't hot compared to other parts of the state. But we had a run of days that were hot for us, and they just about gutted me. Today is better.)

I'm a celt so

A. I can't cope when it's hot. I basically collapse and have to remember to breathe.

B. i am hols and am, thankfully, not writing anyway. (Honest...;))

C. There are only about eight days of sun in Ulster per year so I can drop writing for eight days and be guilt free... Vive le sun?,

I can't deal with hot weather at all. Never mind forming words for a story, I can barely keep my thoughts in a straight line! I was in a shop today, after a long walk, and twice I momentarily I forgot why I was even in there.

Bring the colder weather back, plzkthanxbai.

London gets muggy after a few days hot weather. That's the joy of the Thames Valley, air gets a bit stale I think. This weekend will be into the 30's - so I should just be a lump of quivering jelly standing around a smoky BBQ wondering if the chicken has cooked through. Red faced, as Irish people don't tan, we just go straight to lobster sunburn, and watery eyed from hay fever - summer eh!

It's not that bad really, I'm taking a few liberties with words. I've been cycling to work the last few weeks, enjoying being out in nice weather.

Writing sadly has suffered, ideas haven't I'm glad to say. Ideas can be like rats in the attic, a pest if not taken care of! :D

It's good to know it's not just me, cheers guys.

My office is cool (well, it is the Highlands so we only have low 20's at the moment) so it's nice simply to be outside.

However, we now have an 8 week puppy so my normal routine is out the window!

Bunch of gurt jessies. I am from Somerset, land of the Summer People. I laugh in the face of the sun. Ha ha ha! Burn me.

I love this weather.

Bunch of gurt jessies. I am from Somerset, land of the Summer People. I laugh in the face of the sun. Ha ha ha! Burn me.

I love this weather.

Ha! If you'd seen the state of the Alc-springs' family joint retreat to air conditioned Maccy-D's at the weekend you'd have disowned us as mates. :D

I've only recently in the past couple of days stopped wearing a coat. ;)

My skin is so pale, I can make my entire year's supply of vitamin D just by taking off my hat to a lady. I like the summer because it makes wearing a hat a necessity. What I dislike about it is that some people consider hot weather an excuse to not wear a tie. What's that got to do with writing, you ask? Well, there's an interesting story about that ...

Like my countryfolk, my writing has dwindled to a trickle these last few days. My neighbours are currently hosting our first estate barbecue - when they all ran for jumpers about 9.30, the temperature had just cooled enough for me in my short sleeved shirt. My thermostat is set low.

Hm, interesting. Must be some sort of Brit thing. Yrs truly is sitting here in Boise, Idaho where the high was 100 (that's about 38 for you folks Over There) and I'm doing fine. The weather seems quite suited to Johnny Walker Red over ice, writing tough-minded prose and no sentence longer than this one.

It was 112 the other day. That was a bit much.

Some writers have created their best work when in what otherwise would be adverse conditions. For example WW1 trenches really shouldn't be conducive to poetry, but inspired some of our greatest literature.Not to say that we should all start digging trenches! But perhaps try something a little different when the your mood is altered by the weather.

One thing I like to do when it's nice and sunny is got to the Lakes (I'm quite fortunate living near the Lake District in Northern England) find a nice warm rock in the shade and lying on it. The seclusion (well secluded compared to living in a city), the change in surroundings and the pleasant conditions can help to push myself in different directions to that which I would sat in my living room at home.

Btw losing your concentration can be a good thing; concentration can often restrict your imagination by making you think (and write) in straight lines, whilst allowing your thoughts to wander can sometimes produce great results.

If you're finding it hard to concentrate when writing in hot weather, then don't. Write what comes naturally, and see what happens; if it doesn't work for you then there's nothing lost, but at least you've given it a shot.

Perhaps the weather could inspire you to write something that vividly conveys the way you feel. Something set in a swamp or jungle, maybe.

OTOH you might find some comfort in that adventure set in Antarctica you've been planning. The beauty of ice and snow is far better appreciated when there's not three feet of it actually outside.

Is it hot? I had not noticed.

Not really writing due to other circumstances at the moment so I'm not sure how it'd effect me.

Luckily it doesn't really get that hot over here, although it does get quite cold. I think the winter cold is less productive for me than the summer heat. When it's cold I want to wrap myself up in a nice fluffy blanket, but then I can't type because the blanket is in the way. Slip my hands out of the blanket and they start to freeze.

Of course I could just turn on the heater, but who wants to pay a big power bill when electricity rates are already so high...

Better yet: fingerless gloves + blanket. Right, off to buy gloves -- since it's the middle of winter here.

Hotness and humidity are loathsome. I also find it harder to work in such conditions (not aided by the fact my computer room is south-facing and therefore the hottest or second hottest room in the house).

I'm always hot because I'm either dashing to a class across London, or teaching dance. I can understand why some of you hate the heat but I'm thinking 'bring it!'

I'm into hot weather for writing stories that are set in hot climates, I wrote The Unshakeable Decency of Trees over the period of a week-long heatwave and Boney Tom, and they both ended up being set in very hot conditions.

However, rain, snow, grey misery.... All of these are my prefered writing weather :)

pH