Need a recommendation (space exploration sci-fi)

I mean, hell, I'd probly read a sci-fi book written by Ted Bundy or Adolf Hitler if the actual book itself was good, you know what I mean lol?

You can do that. Adolf Hitler wrote the Hugo-winning Lord of the Swastika in 1953 after moving to the United States in 1919 and you can read it in Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream. ;)

It's not remotely a space exploration book but, seriously, it is pretty amazing in a disconcerting way.

Wouldn't Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow fit this category? It seems to me that she takes some time to develop the sense of the vastness of the journey outside the solar system for the first time. It's quite a while since I read it, though. It deals with religious issues, if that is a problem.

Also -- A. E. Van Vogt's "Far Centaurus," right?

Also -- A. E. Van Vogt's "Far Centaurus," right?

Btw... when I read Van Vogt's wikipedia page, in the critical reception part of the page, it basically said that a lot of critics and other sci-fi writers considered him to be like, an extremely terrible writer or something. What's that all about? I've never read any of his books and don't really know anything about him.

Does he have a really bad writing style or something? Or are his sci-fi concepts not usually very deep? Or does he fail in regards to the hard-sci-fi aspects of the science parts of his books? Why are his books considred so bad by a lot of people, basically? (I'm not asking in a trolling type of way btw, I am just honestly asking, since I'm an almost complete novice in the realm of sci-fi and am just curious what that's all about)

Van Vogt based his entire career on the advice given in how to write book. Basically, he wrote all his novels in 800-word chunks, each of which ended in a cliff-hanger. Most of the time, he had no idea himself what would happen next. He also jammed together short stories he had written earlier and mashed them up into novels. Sometimes it worked, but often it produced near-unreadable tosh. I still have a soft spot for many of his novels, and I maintain The House That Stood Still is classic piece of 1940s sf. But you won't miss anything if you avoid any of his books.

Btw... when I read Van Vogt's wikipedia page, in the critical reception part of the page, it basically said that a lot of critics and other sci-fi writers considered him to be like, an extremely terrible writer or something. What's that all about? I've never read any of his books and don't really know anything about him.

Does he have a really bad writing style or something? Or are his sci-fi concepts not usually very deep? Or does he fail in regards to the hard-sci-fi aspects of the science parts of his books? Why are his books considred so bad by a lot of people, basically? (I'm not asking in a trolling type of way btw, I am just honestly asking, since I'm an almost complete novice in the realm of sci-fi and am just curious what that's all about)

The wikipedia article itself supplies the most relevant information, I think. Damon Knight seems to have adopted Stendhal's maxim about entering society with a duel, so slagged van Vogt. Philip K. Dick rebuts this nicely:

Damon feels that it's bad artistry when you build those funky universes where people fall through the floor. It's like he's viewing a story the way a building inspector would when he's building your house. But reality really is a mess, and yet it's exciting. The basic thing is, how frightened are you of chaos? And how happy are you with order? Van Vogt influenced me so much because he made me appreciate a mysterious chaotic quality in the universe which is not to be feared.

Does he have a really bad writing style? If you are looking for melodiously flowing prose or evaluating things with a Flesch–Kincaid mindset then, sure, an argument could be made for bad style. But if you're looking for effective dramatic prose that portrays things that can't be found in more ordinary or elegant writing, then his style is excellent. I'd point out one of my favorite lines in the SFE where John Clute says, "[van Vogt's signature concerns] are presented in a prose that uses crude, dark colours but whose striking Sense of Wonder is conveyed with a dreamlike conviction". (I recommend the entire article.) Are his concepts very deep? Well, they are often about self-improvement unto transition into supermen and often deal with exotic life-forms or physical structures and often deal with power and personality. So they are certainly powerful and loaded concepts - there is something almost comic-book-like to them sometimes, so could be seen as shallow/superficial but van Vogt was so genuinely concerned with these things that I find them "deep" in the sense of being endlessly provocative. Does he fail in the hard SF aspects? Not exactly - he would only fail if he was writing hard SF and getting it wrong. His SF is more "super-science" based - indistinguishable from magic. He had a great deal of interest in technical matters and drew inspiration from science and tech but wasn't really a hard SF writer. (He makes some interesting comments relevant to this in a radio interview I've mentioned elsewhere - direct link to mp3.

Anyway - I recommend Mission to the Stars, The Voyage of the Space Beagle, the "Weapon Shops" books, War Against the Rull (Gardner Dozois' favorite van Vogt), the first "Null-A" duo, Slan, The House That Stood Still, and I think even The Mind Cage, as well as the variety of stories found in Away and Beyond, Destination Universe, and The Masters of Time and elsewhere. Some of the above notwithstanding, his fixups aren't always the best so I wouldn't recommend too many of them unless you're already a fan and the "Clane" series is weak so I'd recommend delaying or avoiding it, too. Before Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein, the "big three" was Asimov, Heinlein, and van Vogt and titles like Slan, Weapon Shops, and Null and the stories in the "Space Beagle" fixup are landmarks and historical necessities to know about in SF.

This doesn't seem to be very well known, but I really like it.

Yeah, it does seem to sort of get lost in the flood of Anderson titles, but it does stick out to me, too.

I read "Far Centaurus" again just now. I would say it was good, not perhaps as good as I'd remembered it; probably a good first story to read by this author. I'd rate it 4/5 if I were including it in my ongoing Conklin anthology review. (Conklin did select it for one of his books, but not one that I own.)

My own view of van Vogt is that, while he certainly has his off moments, and certainly he didn't let science get in the way of telling his story if the two conflicted, generally speaking he was a fine storyteller with a near-breakneck pace to much of his work. He is highly enjoyable (in the main); and I would also strongly argue that, while he may not have always dealt with sociological issues (though he by no means avoided the subject when it suited him to deal with them), his books are, in their own way, "deep", in that they deal with various philosophical or psychological issues. I have to disagree strongly with Ian that you wouldn't miss anything. Actually, I'd say you'd miss a rather unique and often quite wonderful experience....

Slan is rubbish, the worst kind of special snowflake sf. The Universe Maker is bonkers but quite fun, Mission to the Stars has some fun moments, and the Weapon Shop books are among his most coherent. It's been far too long since I read the Null-A books, so I don't recall what they're like. The Clane books are nonsense and eminently avoidable. His later books are really terrible. Pretty much all of them, however, are very dated, and it doesn't always work in their favour. If you're looking for realistic space exploration, you won't find it in Van Vogt.

Thanks for the opinions on Van Vogt, everyone.

And yes (in response to J-Sun), I saw that the wiki page had some of the criticism listed there in the page itself, and I actually had read all of that before I posted in here, but, I was just curious to hear more, since it was kind of brief and just gave me the feeling that there are lots of people who don't like his stuff, so I was just curious to see this forum's take on it I guess.

Personally, of all the info that I've seen about him so far, the thing that makes me the most worried about whether I'd like his books, is his association with Scientology/Dianetics. Like, I'm hoping that his books aren't just thinly disguised ads/propaganda for Scientology or anything like that. But, based on what I've read on the wiki page and on here, it doesn't seem like that's the case, so, I will give his Space Beagle book a try, when I'm done with some of the other books I got.

Edit: I wrote that before seeing Ian's most recent post, lol. I guess I'm a little less enthusiastic about Van Vogt after hearing that, since I definitely enjoy more "ahead of their time even while sticking to legit-hard scifi" type of writer, which it sounds like this guy is kind of the opposite of, but I'll still read the Space Beagle, just to form my own opinion on it and see if I really hate it or not.

If you want hard sf before hard sf was sort of invented, then there are number of sf novels - though most are set within the Solar system - by the likes of Charles Eric Maine, Jeff Sutton or Murray Leinster. Go even further back and you have Willy Ley and Garritt P Serviss. And Arthur C Clarke, of course. Most of all that is what I call "Men in hats" science fiction - it's set in the future but it might as well be the 1940s or the 1950s: they have giant computers that read cards, the men are in hats and the women in the kitchen, and everyone - including the aliens - has the values and sensibilities of a middle American...

Give The Voyage of the Space Beagle a go, you'll either like it or you won't. If you want to read more Van Vogt, then's the time to cherry-pick. I wouldn't worry about any connection to Dianetics, I don't think Van Vogt held any set of beliefs for very long and most of his books are based around weird, and often misinterpreted, philosophies - the Null-A books, for example, are supposed to be based on non-Aristotleian logic, and one of the others (I forget which) made much of General Semantics.

Most of all that is what I call "Men in hats" science fiction - it's set in the future but it might as well be the 1940s or the 1950s: they have giant computers that read cards, the men are in hats and the women in the kitchen, and everyone - including the aliens - has the values and sensibilities of a middle American...

Lol, that's a funny way of putting it, but I know exactly what you mean. Could still be interesting I guess, although, it would probably be even more interesting for people who are a lot older than me, who can think back to actually being around back then to be able to relate to it better (I'm in my mid 20's). Still, I might give one a try just to see how I like it.

Anyway, I guess the further we've gotten into this thread, the more and more I'm realizing that modern, relatively recent hard, or semi-hard (oops, that sounded kind of erotic lol) space sci-fi is what I'm by far the most interested in. But I'm still open to checking out some other stuff as well.

It's gonna take me a while just to get through the few books I've gotten so far though, so I guess I'll just read through some of these and see if my stance has changed any, once I'm done reading what I've got so far. And then I'll just go from there.

van Vogt is great fun, with some interesting bits if, like most pulp, one reads it in context, rather than looking for great literature. EE Smith, ERB fall roughly into the same category for me, though unlike van Vogt they did not try to follow any odd "scientific" psychologies as far as I am aware.

I really enjoyed Slan back in the day, and for pulp nonsense (which it undoubtedly is) it rises above the general morass.

An overlooked van Vogt, better and odder than Slan or Null A is The Book of Ptath, in which a god-like individual awakes with amnesia.

Slan is rubbish, the worst kind of special snowflake sf. The Universe Maker is bonkers but quite fun, Mission to the Stars has some fun moments, and the Weapon Shop books are among his most coherent. It's been far too long since I read the Null-A books, so I don't recall what they're like. The Clane books are nonsense and eminently avoidable. His later books are really terrible. Pretty much all of them, however, are very dated, and it doesn't always work in their favour. If you're looking for realistic space exploration, you won't find it in Van Vogt.

I can't agree with you on Slan, though I don't think nearly as highly of it as a lot of folks seem to. I'd put it more in the middlin' range. I agree about The Universe Makers and the Weapon Shop books. I also agree, to some degree, about the "dated" qualities; but to me there are also compensating factors which make this a minor consideration. I 100% agree with you when it comes to the assessment of "realistic space exploration" in his work -- it just ain't there.....

I can't agree with you on Slan, though I don't think nearly as highly of it as a lot of folks seem to. I'd put it more in the middlin' range.

Yeah - I don't like it as much as its historical reputation would suggest, either, but it's definitely an interesting and important read.

I 100% agree with you when it comes to the assessment of "realistic space exploration" in his work -- it just ain't there.....

This is probably the key point - Voyages is one of the most relevant van Vogt titles but van Vogt is not the touchstone for literal realism in space travel any more than PKD is. Still, if realism was the primary criterion, the OP wouldn't have limited it to extra-solar exploration. For realism, it would help to stay in-system with Ben Bova's Mars and Hal Clement's Half Life and so on.

Still, if realism was the primary criterion, the OP wouldn't have limited it to extra-solar exploration. For realism, it would help to stay in-system with Ben Bova's Mars and Hal Clement's Half Life and so on.

Yea, I mean, don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm just completely uninterested in all other forms of sci-fi other than the specific sub-niche that I am asking about in this thread or anything. Rather, it's more so that at this particular moment in time, extra-solar-system maiden-voyage space exploration is the topic I am most passionately interested in right now.

However, once I scratch this specific itch, I will very likely move on to a whole new (possibly entirely unrelated) one.

But, I do realize that, of course, in order for hard-scifi to be as hardcorishly-hard as possible, the setting pretty much needs to be something that we have a more thorough understanding of (i.e. stuff happening in our own solar system and/or planet, rather than far away stuff in other solar systems or other galaxies etc, which the majority of those topics are still unknown/undiscovered to our scientists, meaning an author has to do more fudgery/guesswork compared to a topic where we already have it 90% figured out and the author then only has to mess around with 10% of fictional leeway for the "fi" part of the "sci-fi", lol.

So yea, pretty much I'll start off reading these books in this thread first, but once I'm done with these, I'll definitely be back for other stuff, possibly in totally different categories of book topics.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Gateway by Fredrick Pohl.

Also,

Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamilton (Humanity's first FTL ship, so kind of fits)
Tau Zero - Poul Anderson (Awesome scope to this novel)
Cities in Flight - James Blish (an omnibus of four novels)
Slow Lightning - Jack Mcdevitt (first contact novel, horror SF. also would make an excellent movie)

another cracking little read Encounter with Tiber - Buzz Aldrin (yes THE Buzz Aldrin. it's about a return to the moon, but discoveries are made and ..well, why soil the surprise. well worth a look.)

(**Warning: Possible minor spoilers in this post, regarding "Time for the Stars" by Robert Heinlein. But I will try to keep it as vague/non-spoilerish as possible**)
Hey guys!

So, I just finished reading the first book of the bunch that I ordered from your recommendations: Time for the Stars, by Robert Heinlein.

That was an awesome read. I enjoyed the book thoroughly. It's pretty incredible that the thing was written in the 1950's. There were much fewer moments throughout the book where its aged showed than I had assumed there would be, going into it.

As for the writing style, that was interesting as well. He played it very differently from how I think the vast majority of writers would've, stylistically speaking. This definitely had a "less is more" type of vibe, with a consistent dark edge to it, sarcasm, cynicism, black humor, whatever you want to call it, and amplified by the way he seemed to "glaze over" certain aspects of the story, but in a way that had the opposite effect of a genuine glazing-over would've.

Additionally, the way the pace at which the events of the story unfolded increased to a faster and faster pace throughout the book seemed like an intentional metaphor/device, in itself, for the speed-of-time related issues going on in the book. The speed at which the time-slippage was happening, both in the story itself, as well as literally the story the paper of the book, created a nervous, uneasy, but exciting sort of feeling in my stomach while I was reading the book.

Anyway so yea, that was a lot of fun, and very interesting and thought provoking too. Thanks for recommending this one to me! I look forward to getting through some of the rest of them, and giving my thoughts on those, and hopefully discussing them with you guys. Thanks again for all the recommendations! And by all means, let this thread live on. Whenever you guys have additional recommendations, obviously feel free to keep adding them, and also to discuss books in this sub-category as much as you want in here. I enjoy reading the discussions about these types of books almost as much as the books themselves sometimes.

Alright, so that's my update for now! Gonna go eat some pizza! :)

What about Stephen Baxter's NASA trilogy?

From Wikipedia:

"These books explore the possibilities of the American space program if the circumstances had been different. They have generally darker tones than his other books and are critical of NASA."

VOYAGE
"A crew of three travels to Mars in spacecraft based on Apollo hardware. A parallel storyline deals with the development of the program and the astronaut selection."

TITAN
"A crew travels to Saturn's moon Titan in a modified space shuttle and Apollo command modules to find organic compounds."

MOONSEED
"A mysterious substance called "moonseed" is brought to Earth in a moon rock that begins to destroy the planet."