Richard Matheson Has Passed Away

So sad. I never read any of his books but I know I am Legend was based on his book and I think the Robin Williams movie What Dreams May Come was one of his books too. Very good movies. Wasnt Stephen King influenced by him as well?

And so passes another Legend. He was not just a great novelist, but he wrote some cracking screen stories and screen plays as well. I didn't realise how prolific he was until I looked him up on IMDB. I loved I Am Legend (the book) and it seems to have spawned about 4 movies. Not bad. Thanks Richard.

Very sad news. I am Legend and The Shrinking Man are two of my all-time favourite books.

Stephen King described Richard Matheson as "the author who influenced me most as a writer." He dedicated his novel Cell to Matheson & George Romero.

Several of Matheson's novels were adapted to movies and he wrote many classic TV episodes, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" for Twilight Zone.

Not to mention that Steven Spielberg's film Duel (1971) was from a Matheson story and screenplay.

Matheson has been a favorite of mine from about age 10; his blending of the outré and stark psychological realism made for a very powerful approach.

While I can't say I'm surprised at his passing (the last several times I've seen him, he was looking increasingly frail), I am saddened by it. As has been said, another of the great legends of the field is now gone, and all lovers of the fantastic are the poorer for it....

I am Legend has been on my TBR pile for a long time. Perhaps i'll read it now.

RIP Richard Matheson and thanks.

I read Hell House when I was a kid and became an immediate fan of this great writers work. RIP Richard.

I dont know how i missed this news, i greatly admire Matheson for his short stories, I Am Legend, Somewhere in Time.

I just saw this in a memoriam topic in some tv,film forum.

Great writer that will be missed. Im thankfull i have so much of his left to read.

I will read one of his classic novels next just to feel his words, him still being vividly in my mind, memory. That helps me feeling less of the loss of a great favourite author.