Under the Dome

MPorter

Owner of Little Fish Comics in Fredericksburg, Vir
Happened to catch the pilot episode of this tonight and I'm glad that I did. I was a little worried about it since it's basically a live action of 'The Simpsons Movie' without the humour.

My fears evaporated during the opening credits when Brian K Vaughn was listed as the screenwriter. He's the incredible writer behind the comics Saga and Ex Machina, the graphic novel 'Pride of Baghdad', and he wrote the first two volumes of Runaways for Marvel.

And so far he's doing a pretty good job of managing a fairly large cast of characters.

Some of the characters are fairly typical Stephen King mainstays but there's enough going on that I'm setting my DVR to catch the rest.

Anyone else watch?

~Mike

King adaptations very so much in quality. Yeh, if it turns up over here and not on Sky, I'd watch. I quite liked Under the Dome despite the rubbish antagonist. Keep us informed which side of the line it falls! Shawshank or Pet Sematary (shudders).

Wow. I gaped at the end. It was such a shock to see him drop. But I cannot say that, even though I have suspicions about certain characters, I can say where it's heading as it's Mr King's ones.

All I can say is that I recommend it, especially in the light of another one my favourite from the Breaking Bad, who plays in this series plays the wannabe "Mayor." Just check what happens to "Hank" as he hugs the "psycho" and think, "He has not learned anything."

I wasn't too impressed by the script, to be honest. There were a few jumps that left me completely baffled (the big one was Angie going from being at home dressed as a waitress to being at the hospital in completely different clothes), and in parts the dialogue was atrocious (particularly in the scene between Dean Norris and Jeff FaHey at... wherever it was. Police station?). To be fair to it, this was only the first episode, so it's likely to improve, as will Brian K. Vaughan (whose previous screenwriting credits are just a few episodes of Lost).

I've not read the book, but I too can guess what might happen simply from knowing it's from Stephen King.

I look forward to following this series.

I have read the book and was a big fan of it. I have never seen a tv or movie adaptation of something I have read that I liked. That being said, I will probably watch the show, maybe those who didn't read will like it better? The characters like Junior being a total creep really doesn't translate, when he is a brooding good looking guy with a butterfly knife.
He was indeed a messed up dude in the books but the chapters in his POV help explain it along.

I was really hoping for better

I have never been able to understand why King is now thought of as the Best Writer in America when his first decade had him seen as about equal to Stephanie Meyer. (Maybe she'll be taught in College courses someday)

I mean, doesn't it seem even slightly contrived that this inexplicable Dome comes down on just the one small town in America which must have more murders, rapes, infidelities, major crimes etc going on daily than you'll find in most neighborhoods in New York City?

Oh dear, oh dear ... the town is going to fall into the lawlessness.

LOL

This series is brilliant and I love having "Hank" in the helm. Although the mayor is possibly evil, he isn't Heisenberg. And King didn't write him that way. But I love him as much as I love this series at the moment. The tension in it is palpable. And the characters real.

I don't spoil it more just leave you with the question: Why the "Psycho" did need to lie?

I mean, doesn't it seem even slightly contrived that this inexplicable Dome comes down on just the one small town in America which must have more murders, rapes, infidelities, major crimes etc going on daily than you'll find in most neighborhoods in New York City?

I don't see it that way and especially after second episode I see it as possible. And it's nothing like any scene you see in the urban crime related series.

And the Dome doesn't present any problem to my disbelief. It just happen to be that there's something freakish going in unknown small town far away from the Urban Megapolises like the London and New York city.

But you could also argue about the technology they present in this day of age, and would say that we are very close to that sort of thing - if the barriers develop in this half of century.

Are people still watching this? I must admit to having packed it in halfway through episode three. The writing was awful, and I couldn't make myself like a single character (heck, if you can't even feel for a girl locked up in a bunker by a psychopath, then what's the point in trying?).

If people are still watching, you may be pleased/dismayed to learn that CBS have renewed it for a second series of thirteen episodes, to be broadcast next Summer, with King himself writing the opener. If you were hoping that the mystery of the dome would be revealed by the end of the first series, then I'm sorry to say you're going to have to wait at least another year:

“We’re excited to tell more stories about the mystery of the dome and the secrets in Chester's Mill, and are thrilled to have the master storyteller himself, Stephen King, tell the first one of next season,” said CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler.

‘Under the Dome’ Renewed by CBS for Second Season - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Lenny, I watched 3 episodes and gave up as well. It was bad...I wanted it to be good, but it was not. The book really was enjoyable but the show is so poorly scripted and the acting is awful.

To hear that they will drag the story out another year is ridiculous! How and why would any one want to drag that out!

I was pleasantly surprised with this as a King adaptation; they usually do so poorly, 'Salem's Lot (David Soul version) notwithstanding.

I was not so taken with the book as I am with other SK stories but I hate to start something and not finish it. I just hope they keep the ending explanation the same. The story has deviated substantially in places, from the book (much to its benefit) so we shall have to see.

What is it people dislike about it? I think it is well-acted and the script is fine; a nice little character/concept slow-burner. It seems to be getting an okay reception elsewhere.

The only thing that troubles me is the extension for a 13 episode second season. Does that mean we are not going to follow the book? Will season 1 conclude where the book does? Does it mean that it will carry on beyond the book? How do I stop my rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan?

pH

Stephen King is supposed to be writing the S2 opener, so it's an approved continuation of the storyline.

Personally I'm enjoying it so far. It doesn't bother me too much that they've deviated from what was written, and I've forgotten enough of the details anyway that sometimes I don't know when they do :)

I spoiled myself a bit as I read bits and pieces from the wiki, and I'm quite baffled on how they are going to extended this one with another season?

I have never been able to understand why King is now thought of as the Best Writer in America when his first decade had him seen as about equal to Stephanie Meyer. (Maybe she'll be taught in College courses someday)

I can't agree with that. When Stephen King wrote his early books they had not been copied a thousand times. Carrie, Salem's Lot and the Shining were not knock-offs of thirty other books written in the previous decade. They were quite fresh and not designed for young adult market. The books were pretty decent Horror when read before the hundreds of books that copied his.

Hi,

I thought I'd paste this in as it may be of interest regarding the changes to UTD. My only cause of concern is this line; '...because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome.'

A lot of folks didn't like the reason for the dome in the book but I happened to be one of those that loved the idea. So this really troubles me. I can''t say more in case of spoilers, however. :(

pH

June 28th, 2013

A Letter From Stephen

For those of you out there in Constant Reader Land who are feeling miffed because the TV version of Under the Dome varies considerably from the book version, here's a little story.

Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. "The movies didn't change them a bit, son," he said. "They're all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them."

I feel the same way about Under the Dome. If you loved the book when you first read it, it's still there for your perusal. But that doesn't mean the TV series is bad, because it's not. In fact, it's very good. And, if you look closely, you'll see that most of my characters are still there, although some have been combined and others have changed jobs. That's also true of the big stuff, like the supermarket riot, the reason for all that propane storage, and the book's thematic concerns with diminishing resources.

Many of the changes wrought by Brian K. Vaughan and his team of writers have been of necessity, and I approved of them wholeheartedly. Some have been occasioned by their plan to keep the Dome in place over Chester's Mill for months instead of little more than a week, as is the case in the book. Other story modifications are slotting into place because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome.

That such a re-imagining had to take place was my only serious concern when the series was still in the planning stages, and that concern was purely practical. If the solution to the mystery were the same on TV as in the book, everyone would know it in short order, which would spoil a lot of the fun (besides, plenty of readers didn't like my solution, anyway). By the same token, it would spoil things if you guys knew the arcs of the characters in advance. Some who die in the book—Angie, for instance—live in the TV version of Chester's Mill…at least for a while. And some who live in the book may not be as lucky during the run of the show. Just sayin'.

Listen, I've always been a situational writer. My idea of what to do with a plot is to shoot it before it can breed. It's true that when I start a story, I usually have a general idea of where it's going to finish up, but in many cases I end up in a different place entirely (for instance, I fully expected Ben Mears to die at the end of 'Salem's Lot, and Susannah Dean was supposed to pop off at the end of Song of Susannah). "The book is the boss," Alfred Bester used to say, and what that means to me is the situation is the boss. If you play fair with the characters—and let them play their parts according to their strengths and weaknesses—you can never go wrong. It's impossible.

There's only one element of my novel that absolutely had to be the same in the novel and the show, and that's the Dome itself. It's best to think of that novel and what you're seeing week-to-week on CBS as a case of fraternal twins. Both started in the same creative womb, but you will be able to tell them apart. Or, if you're of a sci-fi bent, think of them as alternate versions of the same reality.

As for me, I'm enjoying the chance to watch that alternate reality play out; I still think there's no place like Dome.

As for you, Constant Reader, feel free to take the original down from your bookshelf anytime you want. Nothing between the covers has changed a bit.

Stephen King
June 27th, 2013

A (possibly) amusing anecdote about the series. I was out of state with work when it came out and the week before. I had bought a copy of Under The Dome while there. I ended up having to take another guy to the hospital (he dropped something on his thumb, he's fine) and I'm sitting there reading my book, while they're running non-stop ads for the series! I thought it was hilarious.

I've only watched about half of the run but it seemed OK.

This is my take on it so far (an extract from my SFF blog: http://sciencefictionfantasy.blogspot.co.uk/):

Based on a Stephen King novel (which I haven't read), Under the Dome is set in the present day and concerns events inside a small American town that is suddenly and mysteriously sealed off from the world by an invisible dome-shaped force field several miles across. Cue some dramatic crashes and slicings-in-half as the dome arrives.

The focus in the early episodes (I've seen the first three so far) is entirely on the impact of this event on the townspeople and visitors who are caught there, with all sorts of personal stories and devious schemes being gradually revealed and people showing their true colours under the stress of the situation. We are not shown anything about what's going on outside the dome (except for the sight of biohazard-suited people performing tests on it) nor is there any hint as to how or why it might have appeared. Bizarrely, there is no attempt by those outside the dome to establish communications with those within, which if anything like this happened in reality would be a first priority. While radio waves don't reliably penetrate the dome, it would be simple and obvious to erect message boards on both sides.

Also, apart from one brief mention, no-one has so far expressed any concern about what would rapidly become the priorities as a result of the shut-down of mains electric power. First there is the piped water supply. If the source were outside the dome, it would be cut off immediately. If inside, the towers providing water pressure would soon run dry as they need electric pumps to keep them filled. Then there's the availability of food. Shops normally keep only a few days supply of food (rather less for perishables) and much of that will be frozen or refrigerated, as will be the food in people's homes. With no power, except for a few places with their own generators, that will quickly spoil, so only dried and tinned food will be available, plus whatever happens to be growing – and ripe – in fields and gardens. While there seems to be plenty of farmland and a lot of cows within the dome, it takes months to raise crops, and people might get tired of nothing but beef to eat. And incidentally, when the generators run out of fuel, how will they be refuelled? Without power, the gas stations won't be able to operate. You could probably get around that issue by moving one of the generators to a gas station, but nothing like this has even been mentioned. In fact, the main problem with the loss of power identified so far is that teenagers can't recharge their phones and media players (without which, of course, their world comes to an end), and the only response to potential shortages has been someone bulk-buying cigarettes.

As a result of this peculiar omission of such obvious practical issues, so far it's just a routine "disparate group of people trapped in isolation" story, with the mysterious dome being merely an excuse for this. There's no evidence in the first few episodes of anything that we haven't seen before, but it's just about interesting enough for me to persevere with for the time being, in the hope that it improves.

As above there isn't really any sense of the realities of such a situation. Water, food etc, but I am hoping they are building towards it.

Bearing in mind this is a storyline that it supposed to run for some months there is still time.

Last episode was better I thought.

I have commented on Under the Dome before, which I criticised after seeing the first three episodes because I felt that the events depicted bore little relationship to the likely course of events if a town was indeed abruptly separated from the rest of the world. In particular, the shortage of water and food would begin to hit home far more quickly than was shown, especially with the lack of power ruining all of the food in freezers and refrigerators within hours. However, the various personal dramas and conflicts that have dominated the story held my attention sufficiently to keep watching, and the shortage problem did eventually take centre stage – in episode 6! It took even longer for any progress to be been made in discovering what might have caused the dome to appear, but that proved to be very mysterious and mystical. Only in the final episode of the first season did the SF element start to take centre stage, and the episode finished on as contrived a peak of suspense as could be imagined. It isn't great SF but has been just about worth watching so far for the performance of the major characters. I gather that a second season is on the way, but I just hope that it isn't going to be stretched out until it dies of futility, as so often happens.

(An extract from my SFF blog: Science Fiction & Fantasy)