The Returned, SF&F without blue screens

Sally Ann Melia

Sally Ann Melia, SF&F
S A Melia is an English SF&F writer based in Surre
It was about half way through the second episode of The Returned that I felt the French Pride running through this new Sunday night series on Channel 4. A burly bar man just released from a Police interrogation is under attack by his brother, one of the Returned, he stands holding a door closed against his attacker, and without irony he chants the first prayer of the catholic faith: Hail Mary, full of grace... It was at that moment I felt 'l'envie' for our Gallic cousins. France is a republic, and church has deconnected from the state since the 1789 revolution, but it considers itself a Catholic Country, and unburdened by political correctness, the French KNOW they are Catholics, and it is without irony that they use common prayers, because that is part of their Gallic identity that is what it is to be French.

It is the way The Returned handles religion which I find so interesting. Because the French like us Angle-Saxons are not a religious country, and while less then 10% go to church every Sunday, there is a much greater consensus that church is the right route for Christmas, Baptisms and Weddings. I mean we're French, it's our birth right to be Catholic.

So The Returned sensitively portrays a woman who is divorced following the death of her 13 year old daughter, but nevertheless 'has turned to religion' to see herself through the grieving process, and now is desperately trying to 'square the circle' of her daughters return. After all says her new partner: You are not the first. ( an oblique reference to Jesus Christ's resurrection.)

And don't you just love the teens portrayed so realistically that you can smell them. The moment I enjoyed the most on Sunday evening was the brief glimpse we had of two thirteen-year-olds, dressed, yes but only in modest underclothes, lying side by side and face to face, thinking about sex.

"if you don't want to," he says...

And for it was a Darcy moment, a mumbled line which felt freash, and right, and just so romantic. Why do the French get it so right when it comes to sex? When we the puritans, the Protestants, the politically correct, angle-Saxons are served up early evening government health warning about violent sex, showing young teens forcing the issue, when our red tops revel is a cultue of not ciggies, but blow-jobs behind the bike sheds, the French in one careless 5 second scene, illustrate without even knowing how it should be for teens. And I just wanted to have it on a loop and watch it again and again and again.

So, the title of this piece was SF&F without blue screens, and therefore we should before we close talk about the special effects. Well that's just it, apart from some wonderful time delayed light and shadow shots, there is no SFX in this classic SF&F show. OK a coach goes off the edge of a cliff, but I think it was a model, I leave it to the film tech guys to correct me. In any case, the French did not both with the long crash shot into the valley followed by an explosion, in something that was much more terrifying the bus driver looses control and the bus just topples over the edge of the high mountain road.

This is classic stuff, make sure you catch up the first two episodes on 4OD, and with me prepare yourself for a treat this coming Sunday night.

I've enjoyed the first three episodes. Quite a sedate pace, but the atmosphere is good.