1. Now Available on Amazon:                            

> Click here for more Amazon stores

Dismiss Notice

Paper or electronic?

Discussion in 'Stephen King' started by Christopher Fritschi, May 26, 2013.

Christopher Fritschi

Christopher Fritschi Member

I heard this week that Stephen King isn't putting his new book out on e platform. I'm surprised, given his support of ebooks in the past. Interested to hear some thoughts on this.

Jo Zebedee

Jo Zebedee Come away, oh human child - Waters and the Wild

I have no idea why, but I am wondering if he thinks bookshops are under threat? He would be quick to state support if so, I think, given his background as a vorcious reader/hack?

Christopher Fritschi

I guess that's why, though the cynic in me always wonders if it's aimed at some publicity.

I know he helped launch the Kindle 2, and in 2000 he published a book solely as an ebook.
    Maybe like the rest of us he's seen all those B&Ns and other book stores close down and is now wondering about the future of the traditional book.

TheTomG

TheTomG Thomas M. Grimes

Of course, people will just order the physical copy.... on Amazon. Thus contributing nothing to the saving of bookshops.

Christopher Fritschi

A very good point - buying a book does not necessarily save the bookstores.

I'm still on the fence about the whole ebook thing. At the heart of my concern is that people will keep reading, so in theory I shouldn't care how they buy their book.

ratsy

ratsy www.scifiexplorations.com

This is true. I have not given way to the ebook world yet but I still order all of my books on Amazon so they are making money on me regardless. I only wish I had some nice "ma and pa" bookstores to support in my city. There is only one that I know of and we have a million people! It is downtown, where I never have to go. All other bookstores are Chapter/Indigo so they are just as bad for the "bookstores" as amazon IMO.

Is this the Shining Sequel he is not putting on E book?

biodroid

biodroid Expensive Gadget User

Ratsy, I think it's his new novel Joyland that won't be ebooked. The Shining sequel will be a big seller because of it being a sequel to a classic book, so it will most likely be in ebook form as well.

BigBadBob141

BigBadBob141 Well-Known Member

The trouble with electronic devices ie. laptop, kindle ect. is that they all eventually die.
    When was the last time you saw a book stop working!

Kerrybuchanan

Kerrybuchanan Delusions of Grammar

The last time I dropped one in the bath:(

Having said that, bathwater wouldn't do a kindle much good either ;)

Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

The reader might die but your electronic book will have a much, much longer lifetime than any paper book could have. That argument is the same as saying, for example, that all accounting should be done on paper because paper accounts books never 'die' but computers do. So long as you keep your data backed up (and most ebook stores do that for you) you should never lose any of your digital media. I have plenty of old books from the '60s and '70s that are virtually unreadable now; the pages are both falling out and becoming so brittle that they almost crumble when you turn them. So even without the bath water (and a certain member of this forum can tell you a horror story about the loss of his entire library in a flood) paper books do not last forever.

Personally I think it's silly to 'fight' ebooks; they're here to stay and, no matter what people today may think and feel, within a couple of generations they will inevitably have taken over from paper books, apart, possibly, from certain niche markets in much the same way as vinyl records still retain a niche market. Quite honestly I feel that to think otherwise is simply sticking a luddite head deep under the sand.

I just did a bit of googling and King states:
    I think he's deluded if he truly believes bookshops can be saved in this way. As stated earlier in this thread, it's not ebooks but the internet that is destroying both bookshops and many other types of shops. A trend that is not going to be reversed ever in my opinion.

BigBadBob141

REF: Kerrybuchanan
    Good point!!!
    Books and water don't mix, suggest you listen to the radio instead.
    Just try not to drop that in the bath, especially if it's mains powered!!!

Kerrybuchanan likes this.
    BluePhoenix711

BluePhoenix711 Bloody Scribbler

Paperbacks, computer screens... who cares? People will always read regardless of the platform.

Vertigo likes this.
    BigBadBob141

Horses for courses I suppose.
    If you want to go the electronic route that's fine.
    I'm rather old-fashioned and like the feel of a book in my hands, plus it's probable easier to refer back to something you read earlier.
    But the trouble with books is the do tend to take up space, my house is chock-a-block with the darn things!!!

BluePhoenix711 likes this.