Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)

Well put. 'brams-Trek feels like an audition reel for Star Wars now. He was just trying to get Disney's attention and could care less whether or not he lived up to the spirit and ideals of Star Trek.
Moviebob has an epic rant on where they went wrong

Just re-watched this and still think it's a great film - in fact, I think I liked it more this time around for having re-watched Wrath of Khan only a few weeks before.

Also, having seen a few things now starring Benedict Cumberbatch, it's really clear to me how he tries to make his Khan character different and unique.

The only thing that spoils this film slightly is the scene where Carol Marcus strips to her underwear, for no other reason than to titillate male viewers and offend female ones. It's a sexist moment that should really have been cut.

Aside from that, great character interplay great script, and great special effects. I appreciate some people don't like the Star Trek reboot, but IMO it holds its own and remains the best of the three new Trek films to date. In fact, not surprisingly, the best since Wrath of Khan.

I really liked Star Trek (2009), so I was a bit skeptical when they announced Star Trek: Into Darkness. I enjoyed watching it more than once, so I guess this makes it a good movie.

I didn't like Khan and I was glad when he died, so Benedict Cumberbatch made a good character.

The only thing that spoils this film slightly is the scene where Carol Marcus strips to her underwear, for no other reason than to titillate male viewers and offend female ones. It's a sexist moment that should really have been cut.

This is a common bit of commentary on the film. And I think I read somewhere that JJ Abrams even said he should've taken it out b/c it didn't serve any narrative purpose. (Which it didn't.) The scene would've worked just fine w/o actively showing us Marcus' underwear.

Another thing I think is great and not mentioned enough is the beginning.

Not the enjoyable dramatic opening sequence - but the fantastic sad piano solo that follows the credits and goes on for a few minutes. The film sequence sets up a wonderful sense of pathos about a little girl dying yet also foreshadows so much of what is to come. IMO it's a great piece of film-making that's all show no tell.

EDIT: Here it is as a reminder:

Last edited:

Back