Really good Star Trek novels?

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
I went to see Into Darkness a week ago. Yes, in lots of ways it was terrible, but I sort of enjoyed it anyway. It reminded me how much I used to enjoy the original Star Trek as a child. Later I really liked Star Trek TNG and DS9.

Anyway, books. I did read some Star Trek books long ago. At the time I didn't know enough to judge whether they were really any good and I don't really remember any of them now.

Are there any really good and well written Star Trek books out there? Maybe something tending towards the darker/gritter?

Thank you.

Coragem.

My top three with the original characters are
Prime Directive by Judith Reeves-Stevens
Enterprise the First Adventure by Vonda M McIntyre
Spock's World by Diane Duane

I found all three to be quite dark.

My favourite Next Generation one is
Q in Law by Peter David but it is funny rather than dark - I laughed most of the way through it.

It's been a while, but I enjoyed Ashes of Eden by Garfield and Judith Reeves-Stevens.

Ishmael and also Ghost Walker by Barbara Hambly. One is Spock on the earth in the past, the other involves an alien and is in the future.

Janet Kagan - Uhura's Song. With the one and only Tail-kinker To'Ennion (which I may have mis-spelled). Lots of fun.

Second Diane Duane - and would also add the others she wrote. Most are set in the Romulan empire and have some cracking characters. Also like Doctor's Orders - McCoy is left in charge of the Enterprise....
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/d/diane-duane/

In terms of dark, from memory Ghost Walker is the darkest. None of them are comedies as such though may have lighter moments, some have serious overall story arc - plague wiping out a race for example.

Most of these are not on the bridge of the Enterprise - they are on expeditions to worlds.

Blimey. I went through a phase of reading Star Trek books about 20 years ago and must have about 2 to 3 hundred at home. I thought they were well written for the most part but the TOS stories were better.

I've just finished reading "The Buried Age", which was quite good and the second half was quite dark.

Stay away from ST:Titan novels though - the one that I tried to read was rubbish, especially when the ships doctor was described as a sentient velociraptor...