The Shadow Rising (Book 4) - Discussion Thread WITH SPOILERS

Hiya, LW!

You have me sussed. :eek: I'd love others to experience the highs of Jordan. I just didn't think you'd be interested, since you left the series. We could have a little Chrons-Jordan reading circle!

BTW, eBay has some great offers on Jordan books. I've dug out some treasures for you on the US site, so I hope you see them before they're bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-5-book-...42957?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item232b2ecdad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-5-book-...42957?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item232b2ecdad

Hoops, what chapter now? :D

Thanks for the links Leisha! If I can get a copy from my brother, I may read the next book. However, I'm not sure when that will happen. (He's been lending them out to others in the family to read so I have no idea who has it right now, or if its currently being read.) Hence the reason I told Hoopy there was no pressure. :) I probably won't be able to read it right away anyway, but I just might pick it up sometime. But I'll be sure to let you know when I do!

All right, New theory. WoT is like a massive version of the film The Village. The Breaking of the World was like a big Atlantis like event that sent them sailing off by themselves. The world beyond The Waste is our earth but WoT is so weird we just built a massive wall and let them get on with it!

I know I'm right.

Also, like Thom is totally Elyane's dad, right? That's why he had to scarper...be a bit of a scandal!

Urgh, been on the couch most of the afternoon. The flu bug thing Seph and I have has wiped us out somewhat...

Anyway, I suppose there's no harm in getting the book whenever you can and trying it one last time, LW. :) Fingers crossed this time works for you!

Hoopy... hmmmm. I can't say I haven't had the same thought with one of your ideas. :p

Ooh! And which chapter are you on? There's certain chapter numbers I've been waiting for you to reach...

Okay, I'm gonna crawl back to the couch. Spelling correctly is too difficult. Hurray for spell checkers. :D Hopefully I'll be up for typing more tomorrow.

I keep having to stop at chapters I really wanted to read! I like how Jordan set up the last few. Rand's meeting in the Heart of the Stone was going to be an interesting one anyway, but with the weird thing (you know what ;)) felt by all the characters in approaching chapters just heightened the suspense! Then I had to put the book down last night just before Rand and Mat go into That Desert Place (they've got it easy compared to how the women had to go ;))

I've really enjoyed pretty much everything that's happened in the entire book so far. The thing with Epic fantasy is that there's usually One Big Event that will come at the end and then lots of mini quests and goings on that eventually led it to. This book has been quite full of such but they've all been really interesting.

And another interesting race added! I like the Aiel, of course, but the Sea Folk are fast climbing behind them.

And I know people do say that Jordan's women are very similar and act the same and etc. But to be honest I'm just so happy to be reading an epic fantasy series that has women...well, even just doing stuff! I've read books where women literally just provided backdrop. Here we have women planning, organising, being agents of change, being in charge, being captains of ships, fighters, magic wielders, traitors, Forsaken, rulers...even entire chapters that contain nothing but women! It's just quite refreshing.

And I'm also starting to very much like Jordan's cosy feel. That his main characters are largely very "good" and moral and always trying to do the right thing and that human based nastiness is largely kept to one side or not mentioned in great detail. It's a nice respite from "grittiness" and I'm finding I'm enjoying the feel of it the more I read.

I'm gonna have to reply to this!!! Wow!!! Excuese my spelling, for my head's hurting too much to spend aaaages re-reading and editing this post.

Oh, Hoopy!!!!!!!! I CAN@T WAIT FOR WHEN YOU NEXP PICK THE BBOOK UP!!!!! (Oop, yeah. Sorry. I did say my spelling's suffering from my bug. :D)

You've got one of my fav ever set of chapters next! AND I MEAN FAVOURITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I could fill this book up with exclamations!!!! Hey, wait, did I just write "book"? Erm... I mean "post")

Hoopy, I envy you so much for being where you are. Treasure your Jordan first-read, because it's something very special. And YES! that cosiness really does get to you. His writing makes me feel at home, and I have complete faith in Jordan...

And the Windfinders were cool. Not as cool as teh Aiel, for me. I love the kicking, running Aiel. The women, flawed as they are in the series (yes, I will admit it now there's nt just negativity all over the place), play important roles and hold equal power (or more). A breath of fresh air in these male-dominated epics.

And, tbh, I'm not a fan of grimdark. I've tried and tried, but I prefer having... well... just "normal" people. I know grimdark is supposed to be more realistic than "wholly good", but how many of us really are prepared to do bad things to get our own way? REALLY? I prefer having normal people I can relate to, who are not afraid to lie or do what they must on ocassion but are largely good. And then have other larglely good characters with differing goals and cares, which sets up a much better conflict. That's one of the things I love about Jordan. He uses the races and people themselves to set up conflicts, even if it takes a few books to get into action.

Argh! I've niopped back on to say that I can't wait for your reaction to the next cuple of chapters. However, I've got to swich my PC off for the night now, because I've just found out I'm gonna have to go out to a grand opening of a shop I'm baving to make a website for (friend of the family, see). I didn't think I was up to it - going out, discussing website ideas, and meeting people - cos Seph adn I have been feeling ROUGH, but apparently everyone's expecting me to be the official photograhper for the occasion so I can put the photos on the site... :eek::eek::eek:

Eep! So I might not be able to reply to your post if you make one (but I WILL read it, definteyl).

*hugs Hoops and LW, and vanidshes*

Edit: Oh, poop! Look at my spelling! Sorry. Grr. I definitely need to rest so I'm in a decent state tomorrow to meet strangers without scareing the m away! Oh, I think my spelling is going downhill... :eek:

Definitely loving these chapters! I love that we've only briefly, really, met both the Aiel and Peddlers but now suddenly so much has been revealed about both and who would have guessed that connection! Loved the first Maiden of the Spear, what a badass. And going right back to the Breaking of the World, yay, finally seeing actual stuff from then. Just had to put the book down to come say before I carry on and forget...LOVED the mention of Jo-cars and jumpers and hoverflies, qllb these strange sounding transport thingies from before, and how much everything has changed. And seeing things we already know all the way back in book one, like what Nym ultimately ends up doing. Awesome!

Anyway, back I go, there's still more, will no doubt be back soon to say more if this carries on!

Also, yes, hope tomorrow's OK. Sneeze all over people as revenge for making you go when you're ill!

Edit: omigod SO MANY QUESTIONS. Though firstly, holy crap, Mat! But but but so the big sphere in the sky was the Dark One's prison?? Did they know this at the time?? And someone was drilling into it??? And they mentioned a source that both male and female could use, is that why there was drilling? Or was someone being a maverick and trying to release Bill?????

I am but questions!!

Last edited:
Did I mean Peddlers? That's what Fain was, wasn't he...damn, now I can't think of what their name is, but you know who I mean!

TINKERS!! I knew it was a similar name, just couldn't quite get there. Them. Yeah, the whole history lesson was just awesome.

EDIT: also just when you finally get some information about something, he goes and brings up something completely barmy elsewhere! Just read Perrin in the wolf dream and this Slayer person and mystery woman. Jordan, you big tease!

Last edited:
Coooome baaack I need to talk about WoT!! Stop being off actually doing things while I've been reading all day :p At this rate I'm going to have to, like, Skype you or something just so I can babble about everything so far. There's so muuuuch.

So when it changed from Rand and co to Perrin I was, for the first time, disappointed to go to Perrin. But now at the end of Perrin I'm disappointed to go back to Rand, cos the end of Perrin's bit was awesome!

But yes, chapter 34 now and I really do need to do some work. But I'll be lurking. Just in case you pop up, Leish ;)

Hiya! Wow, again, so lovely to see you enjoying it so much! (Im really trying hard to make this post readable, but I'm shattered. I don't nkow how I managed to go to the grand beauty salon onopening when my throat was all closed up and I felt all dreamlike. I took nice photos, though, which I'm proud I managed! And, shock horror, I even managed to sound coherant; I'm good at that when I need to be). I couldn't bring myself to coucgh on anyone, though, cos I'm too nice. :D

I'm awa y tp sit on thw couch for the rest of the evening (but I'll sneak on to see your reply when you have one, though I'll reply tomorrow). But heh! YAY! So the great parts got to you! Yeah, it was awesome to read how everything had come about.

Just to confirm... Jordan mentions about the bore thing... in a later piece of writing published between later books, so It'll be fine for me to tell you cos it's not spoillery. The floating circle place was actually the leading reasearch centre of researching the Power and such, and it had discovered a new form of Power (heh, ooooh yeah!) which meant males and females would get to use the same source rather than separate ones. What they actully found was the Dark One, who - and you need to think it less normal terms - is trapped beyond the pattern and exudes a vast well of power... which the Aes Sedai instruments picked up.

I can't say any more.

And Tinkers, yes. I LOVE Tinkers! Tinkers and their "lost song"....

And the Aeil! The two!!! I felt so sad when they kicked out the guy from defending himself for his sister... And to see that their "veils" started out as dust masks"...! Oh, and did you notice the age changes? During the first few visions we see people living relatively short lives; at the beginningwe we them living REALLY long lives... Hmmm.... Something's changed over the years, methinks!

OH!!! And I mustn't forget, in my haste to rush areply before Seph reminds me I am overdue to rest, LANFEAR!!! Did you here her mentioned?! The man in the last vision worked for her, and she was good. She was one of the leading scientists who found the bore and watnted to usher in a new era, of men and women sharing Power. But then things went VERY wrong, and the Dark One seeped out just enough from the bore, blew up the reseach centre, and spread his malace around the planet. And thus anger and hatred and other negative emotions twisted people in the 100 years before Lews Therin and co. could seal bore. (Bore is only tiny in the grand scheme of things, just a pinprick through which the Dark One could exert his unfluence until he slowly widened the hole to escape... which never happened, thankfully!)

Oh! ANd the Green Man, Someshta, he was there in the visions too! YAY! And you got to see his colleagues... (I SO want to go back to that Age - everything was lovely!)

I just get so much emotion reading Jordan. I find him incredible. Sure, not every book is as packed as this one, but they all advance the plot in their way and make me feel. :)

Okay, I think that's everything I wantedf to say. Haven't checked for spellings, cos I'm awwway overdue to rest (sorry, I'mm a stuck record, I knwo!) and I must go ASAP.

*does excited Happy Dance for Hoopy*

Yay, you're here! I was just rolling on the sofa next to No One going "where issss ssshhheee, I need to talk WoT". But of course I'm not going to say you can't rest, so go go go and no replying. In fact I shall make my post so uninteresting that you can't ;)

But ooooh, that's all really cool stuff. How off-putting would it be to think you've found something new and awesome only to realise you've gone and found like, the most evil thing you possibly could. I have some other questions, but shall leave them for now, But yeah, I noticed mentions of Lanfear and her being good, and also yes, the dude saying he was like, 67 years old or something and still just middle aged. Seeing life before the Breaking was so awesome!

Heh, just been going back through the first three threads and seeing how down I was on them and now suddenly I'm on book four and there's mad stuff going on in every chapter and I can barely make myself put the book down.

I love your descriptions, the image of you rolling around grumping! Ever thought of being a writer? ;)

So. Ahem. I believe you were bursting with comments? And have you got to any other... interesting/shocking scenes?

Oh! And now a new post, before I could get around to posting this (I had to go rest on the couch). Hoopy...!!!! You've just made my day!!!! Seph and I thought you might bow out if you weren't properly hooked by the end of this book (cos this is the book that should make people REALLY sit up and take notice, though I took notice from book two onwards). But maybe it's finally got its claws into you. :D

Edit: Heh. I just realised. This isn't the book to be reading while trying to work on freelance stuff, is it? :D Luckily, I'm on the book that Jordan freely admits went wrong - book ten - and there were a few POV chapters in a row that draaaaaged. Seems to be over with now, at least!

Which won't help my freelance work.

I swear I had something to shout in big capital letters, but I can't remember what now.

But I'm on chapter 41 now and there's so much going down that I don't think I can quite recall it all!

Well, firstly -- Poor Perrin! What a thing to come home to. Jeez. But he's being an absolute dude, getting the Two Rivers sorted. Desperate to know what it is about Lord Luc that's not right...Immediate thought of course is FORSAKEN (wait...I recall saying that out loud as soon as someone was introduced, maybe it was at Lord Luc, though...)

And talking of shifty people, yet another with Rand. The Peddler dude. So many shifty people!

But yes, as I said before, holy crap to Mat! And his fancy new spear. And marrying the Daughter of the Nine Moons??

Which reminds me of Perrin's dream and the Snakes and the Foxes. Eelfinn and Aelfinn, or something, their names were? And something to do with the metal tower. I'm very much guessing the Snakes and the Foxes were what Mat met. I want to know more about them, they're weeeird. And this Slayer guy!

Too much going on, I neeeeeed aaaannnsssswers :D

Oh, also part of me kinda liked Liandrin in her first POV bit. Just for being such a badass when dealing with Bors.

There's no doubt loads more I meant to mention!

Wow! Yes, LOADS! Gah! I wish I'd been able to post earlier so you could remember your caps lock words! Maybe about the bore? The Aeil's history? The Dark One's prison?

And, oooooh! You've got my other favourite scene coming up in a few chapters!!! I won't say whose POV it is, but you'll know it when you read it. I had to put the book down and exclaim when I read it.

LOL, though!!! Yes, I agonised over the Daughter of the Nine Moons. Who is she? What is she like? When will I see her? I went down all routes, thinking. I remembered that the Windfinders mentioned Two Moons once, which made me wonder... (I shall neither confirm or deny my suspicions).

And heh! The peddler dude. Yeah. I didn't trust him! Too many secretive people, and you just KNOW that some of them are PROPERLY BAD. :eek:

One thing I WILL say is that you DO get answers. I know what most of those all mean, which will be a relief to those who don't like hanging on to stories that go nowhere. Looking back, I even see how Jordan foreshadowed SOOOOO much, or outright just said it so plainly, no one suspected its connotations. :D

See now why I started the thread in the writing area saying how can anyone write/plan as great as Jordan? When he's at his finest, which that book is... wow. Just wow. Complex, interweaving, puzzling... Jordan, I AM IN AWE!!!

Of course, I can't exactly write him a fan letter for reassurance as one person suggested. ;)

Edit: And yes, one thing I CAN confirm is that Mat (and Moraine and Rand) met the Snakes and Foxes).

Heh, maybe this might be the one that turns out to be not as dramatic as it seems. Maybe the Nine Moons is the name of an inn or something ;)

And yes, though I'm impatient, at the same time it's cool because there's just so much to think about and ponder.

I mean, I'm still thinking about the ending of book three and if anything it just shows that this is a series, like, a hefty series. That he can go for three whole books and then suddenly pull the rug out from under you feet about that particular thing makes me think he might well decide to do it five books in, or eight, or eleven!

Oh, I had a moment that made me think IS LAN RAND'S HALF BROTHER AND WAS ALSO THE GUY WHO KILLED RAND'S DAD, but that's just because I can't quite remember how many years ago some things happened. Like, I know his parents story now, and I had a tickle about who the woman might be, but as I say, I need to think about time frames. When I work that out, I'll talk more :D

Heh, I could see Mat happily married to a tavern! :D Or a tavern barmaid!

Aaaand... you're thinking is going very well. Jordan likes to tell you something as fact, then well, you'll see. Soon. Heh.

And - ooh! - if I may say so, there is a connection between two you mentioned, and also not, weirdly - just not at all how you could ever imagine! (And very subtle; Seph had to tell me when I got confused in one particular scene in the last book.)

Look forward to hearing more Hoopy Theories as and when. :)

There are so many squishy couples in these books! Perrin and Faile all married! I swear to Azathoth, if one of them dies now...

And the braid pulling did turn out to have a use! Such a habitual thing, something that is so intrinsically 'her' that it managed to get around that. I like that.

I wish we could have a Loial POV, I'd love to see things from his point of view for a brief while.

Less than one hundred pages left.

Oop, also, Lord Luc and the Slayer, I didn't put those two together!

Back