3.07: Game of Thrones - The Bear and the Maiden Fair

Lenny

Press "X" to admire hat
Dany exchanges gifts in Yunkai; Brienne faces a formidable foe in Harrenhal.

---

For an episode written by Martin himself, involving Brienne fighting a bear, it was kind of dull. Sansa is still sulking, Team Bran is moping North as slowly as possible, Theon continues to be methodically broken...

The highlights for me were Tywin's slow and deliberate walk to the throne, the aerial shots of the Blackwater, and Hodor's perfect comic timing after Osha finishes moaning about having to do all of the work.

Other than that, we saw good Jaime being good (and for the first time, I think, Brienne called him by his actual name), Ygritte being cute ("Is that a palace?"), and Dany doing her awesomer-than-thou thing.

I can only feel sorry for the people who haven't read the books, because this episode has to be the most boring hour of GoT they've had to sit through. On top of that, almost nothing that actively progresses the story really happened. If it weren't for the character development going on, I'd proclaim it a wasted episode.

I loved it. Lots of seeds planted.

Dany's making mistakes. This is where she "jumps the dragon" so to say, imho. As a character, that is. The consequences will unfold . . . slowly.

Robb is making his mistakes while Catelyn is forced to sit back and watch. She's helpless.

Jon's making choices, or shall I say struggling with choices.

I fear that Sansa's brooding is just who she is. I don't think this will change. Ever.

We needed this episode for what's to come.

My only dislike was watching the torture of Theon. I hope this doesn't go on all of next season too. That's my aesthetic, though. Just not interested in watching anymore.

The bear scene at the end felt a bit rushed to me. I don't know why.

Mr Martin please take note: Jamie and Brienne need to hook up, get married, raise a family and rule Casterly Rock and live to a great old age happily ever after! (I can dream and someone should have a happy ending)

I wouldn't say the episode dragged, I think for those who have read the books we are just anxious for what comes next.

Loved Dany's Dragons. I sort of agree with you Lenny regarding Theon but without saying to much we know all this has to happen to get to the point where Theon is at the end of book five. I don't like watching it either and had to cove my eyes last week but I can see the point of it.

Zombie wife I agree Sansa is just broody, she stresses over everything, however she's also been through a lot so she can be forgive. I've actually come to like Sansa. Margery certainly learnt a lot from her mother!

I'm not sure but were we meant to see Joffrey as a confused boy when talking to Lord Tywin? We're they trying to make us feel sorry for him? Surely not. I did like Tywin suggesting they could carry him up the stairs. He could have just as easily said Men walk boys winge.

Arya and The Hound there's a fun travelling duo! I'm sure they'll have lots to talk about.

Overall it was a solid episode. It had good character development, with Jaime finding new depths to his character with each episode. Although usually not my thing I enjoyed the banter between Jon and Ygritte. Possible spoiler below.

And that letter not-Jeyne was writing, I wonder who it is really intended for.

Another so-so episode for me. Again, I'm tired of Theon. There is so much going on in the 3rd book, they could easily choose to show us something else. I don't need to see him tortured every episode.

I'm hoping the remaining episodes blow me away. For an episode written by Martin, I thought this one could have been better. I actually thought he would write a different episode...and I'm sure readers of the books know which one I'm talking about.

Mr Martin please take note: Jamie and Brienne need to hook up, get married, raise a family and rule Casterly Rock and live to a great old age happily ever after! (I can dream and someone should have a happy ending)

Yes, seconded! (Cept I'm not overly bothering on weddings and babies, I'll settle for the hooking up). But really. It should happen.

As for the ep, it was ok. Don't like the Theon stuff at all. Don't really see the point in it either.

Without giving to much away for those who have not read the books, Theon has to go through a lot to get to the person he ends up as by the end of book five. I hate watching Theon's scenes and I hope they don't have it every week but on the other hand I can understand what they are working towards.

Ok Mouse Ill settle for hooking up, even that's a happy ending is Westros.

Found it a bit slow as well, and fast-forwarded through the Theon scene - I found him a very peripheral character at the best of times. Considering the actual tortures available in the mediaeval period, I find the TV torture scenes more intended to titillate.

Tywin's confrontation was a high point. :)

Cannot understand why Dany has stopped wanting to return to Westeros with her army, and has decided instead to travel the world freeing slaves through slaughter.

Brian I had those very thoughts reading the books but I guess she is working on building an army and waiting for the dragons to get bigger. Maybe by freeing people from slavery she is hoping those who are able will join her. Just a thought.

That's not a bad suggestion actually. Even still, I can't help but feel GRRM is simply trying to stop her getting to Westeros until he wants her there. :)

Well yes that is the most likely reason Brian. I think when the time is right he will have her on a dragon, ship or whatever it takes to get her to Westros. Oh no I just had a Horrible thought... What if George doesn't want her at Westros? No that's not possible is it???!!!!!

Oh no I just had a Horrible thought... What if George doesn't want her at Westros? No that's not possible is it???!!!!!

If this were to happen, I think the fans might revolt. :) I don't think he can build up her storyline, all leading to her coming to Westeros, and then not have it happen. But then again, this is GRRM we're talking about........