Thoughts on Peter Brett

AndrewT

I just picked up "The Warded Man" as it's called here. Before I decide when to start this I was wondering how he compares with his contemporaries - Jim Butcher, Brent Weeks, Scott Lynch, etc. Is Brett similar to them and better or worse?

He is more closer to Brent Weeks but not as action packed or brutal. He is pretty traditional but the book is quite tense and keeps building on that tension. I enjoyed it, but didnt like the second as much, very repetitive with different characters.

I really enjoyed all three books. I think of them as traditional fantasy made with a modern edge. You've got the great fun 80's style idea of the demons for some hack and slash, but really they 'just' exert the pressure to exercise the characters in a nicely done character driven tale.

I've not read any of the others you mention, but if they're as good or better then I probably should :)

As a writer and storyteller he's better than Butcher, Weeks and Lynch. Butcher's books are rather pedestrian and uninteresting, Weeks showed a lot of promise with his Night Angel series, but his lightbringer series is horribly disappointing, and Lynch's books are extremely slow. Someone buy this man a book on how to pace a story properly.