Book title - Science Fiction from 60's or 70's

yfrankel

I am looking for the title of a science fiction book that was written in the 60' or 70's about a human space traveler visiting a planet. He goes into a cave and gets bitten by a creature that transfers its personality into him. He calls it Pard - short for partner. It appears that the man is now immortal and the book tells his story - even how he saved people from some sort of malady caused by another immortal. Anyone know the name/author? This has been driving me "nuts" for years now. Thanks.

I believe there was a comic strip with a similar plot line-- only I believe "Pard" was a computer implant and the man was partially bionic.
There was also a story in Analog magazine decades ago about a classical pianist whose brain had had the connections between the left/right halves severed when he was a child-- but both halves grew up and survived-- with 2 different personalities: The 'daytime' personality was the classical pianist, and he and "Pard" played so very exceptionally well because there was 1 brain to 'run' each hand! Of course, Pard had his own personality and his own career-- he was a spy/secret agent...

Thanks for the reply. It was definitely a SciFi book - not a comic. I recall the "hero" of the story commenting on why the natives of the planet he was visiting (he was an anthropologist or something) didn't go into the caves. It was because the person would die or come out crazy. I remember the story rather well, but would like to try to get it again for nostalgia sake.

Thanks for trying to help!

The book you are looking for is Healer by F. Paul Wilson. This was the full length book. The character you are talking about appeared in a short story by Wilson, but was later developed into a full book.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, that IS the book!!!!!! I have been looking for this title since I read it over 30 years ago!!! I can't wait until I "kindle" a copy of it.

Thank you so much. You have made my decade!