staying in the game

shamguy4

aaaaaaaand im back...
from my life of coding and developing all day.

Code:
if (me not posting here == i have not written my book since) {
//if this statement is true then:

alert ("i suck so bad and will never finish my book 
   because the tiniest thing hinders me");
}

that piece of code runs beautifully.
Why is it that i cannot stay in it?
I have been doing this novel cycle for 5 years.
writing, stoppping, then writing again. (although my imaginaiton continues to make the book grow)
Its torture.
And I do not fancy it.

the beautiful thing about being a developer is that I have created a wiki for my book, as an incentive to get me into it again.
this wiki is much like wikipedia, but only for my book. Its quite cool and allows for organization of my thoughts.
If you can I highly recommend you do the same.

Interesting idea. It does seem like a very good way to document things, especially if you've got loads of worldbuilding stuff to write down. Is this wiki available to the public or not? ;)

Its a great idea, but so far I have been making a wiki... not writing

available to the public!
lol are you crazy!
i have it password protected twice.....
but like i said tis never going to get written....
why am i not writing now?
sigh...

Last edited:
Do you feel that time is the issue? Or do you lack inspiration/motivation to write?

Its a great idea, but so far I have been making a wiki... not writing

available to the public!
lol are you crazy!
i have it password protected twice.....
but like i said tis never going to get written....
why am i not writing now?
sigh...

I have to be honest this was my reaction. Very cool and all that there, but I'd be itching to write, and would think it's writing time used up. i'm not sure what the answer is - we all have different appraoches, except the age old write something every day even if it's only fifty words.

no, i think the book has grown that it looks huge to me. And my creation intimidates me.
I have literally created a whole other world.
and its overwhelming sometimes. And I have work and other things going on.

And when I do fall out if it, the hardest is getting back into it. Just to open it up is hard and it feels like I have to load the whole book back into my brain to remember exactly whats going and everything.

I guess ya just gotta force yourself to start writing, then. Once you get past the initial barrier of getting back into it, things should come easier. I write on and off, but usually all I need to start up again is reading something awesome or something to inspire me. The reason I stop is usually because I write myself into a corner, or I feel like I don't like my story anymore.

And, out of curiosity, what wiki service do you use? Can you recommend one for me to try it? Or did you just code one yourself?

mediawiki.

you will need to run it on a server. I would do so on a local server.
so if u have windows use xampp
if you have mac use mamp.

then download the installation and place the folder inside where your server is running. you can change this location.

rename the folder to your book or something unless you want it to be called my wiki

then um... run it.

dont be deterred if you get stuck or if your just getting used to using the wiki.
i dont spend time setting it up and adding an image or logo or home page...
i just write.
remember your not running a website. and no one will see it...
lol! look at me telling you to write! the guy who has not written a word in a month

Ok, Shamguy.... You have this whole, wonderful world that you know everything about, and something big is about to happen in it. Big enough to tell people about.

But what about the small things? Might those be able to lure that ever-elusive muse? What I'm suggesting is, I suppose, "warming up". I've been told athletics do that before they ... athletisise? ...do athletic things.

Write about someone, something else in your world. Write just a little bit, 100 words or so, or much much more if it feels good. Unless you have a publisher breathing down your neck for you to finish your book, what's the hurry?

The point of course would be for you to get back into it, but not needing to stress out if this one warm-up passage turns out to be complete and utter trashcanfodder. Best case scenario, you'll get some more written on your main plotline, AND a little something extra you might be able to use at some point. Either way, you'll still know you wrote something, at least, and something is better than nothing.

Btw, my current excuse for not writing is "I have a nasty cold".

if i recall... i stopped wiriting cause i got stuck on my main characters father and his past, and it was taking long to figure it out.

I love world building. more than writing sometimes. but if im not writing i fall out of all of it.

also i was working on traveling in the great void of space and how it worked.

My book is a fantasy that takes place amongst the stars.
Its interesting...

travel by magic was easy to come up with. It was for the non magic folk that I had to actually apply science, but I twisted it a bit but im not sure it makes sense...

i dont want to give away my book, but I need some info:

Is it possible or even logical (remember im writing a fantasy so it doesnt have to be too strict) to say there is oxygen trapped inside vortexes in space which also pulls scattered debris as well as anything into it and it moves very fast?

ohh! i came up with something good... well writing this post has seemed to help...
thank you

Last edited: