Board Games

Board games are probably my second love after books, I probably own a few hundred now though I daren't get them all together as they'll reach critical mass and my wife will explode.
I can relate to that! Indeed, I've actually managed to get rid of a few games lately...I've been ruthless and made the difficult decision regarding which games I just don't think I'll get to the table much.

Still acquiring new ones though. Here are a few recent acquisitions:

Impulse - A 4X space game:

Impulse-Sector-Core.jpg

Oh My Goods - Terrible name but a great economic engine building game:

Oh-My-Goods-9-of-16.jpg

Pandemic: The Cure - A dice version of Pandemic:

pandem.jpg

Two favorite board games

1.Chess
2. Stratego
Strange that you mentioned Stratego -- last weekend my youngest brother (to whom I had not mentioned the game) texted me to say that he'd found the game at a garage sale, paid a buck for it, and played it with his son...apparently, my brother, at least, enjoyed it... (No word from my nephew on that...)
Coincidence? o_O
Now I'm trying to remember whether I ever played the game with him (my youngest bro, that is)...I had the game years ago, but he was nine years younger than me, making him about 13 when I went into the Navy...so I don't really think so...
So why did he buy the game, I wonder...?

I just purchased The Cataclysm expansion for Talisman. It's particularly interesting because it has an entirely new three-realm board to replace the original main board.

I bought Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed. today. I was hesitant at first, as I wasn't sure what to think of the app. Decided to give it a go, and was rather disappointed with the component quality compared to the retail price. However, once we played the game we had a tonne of fun. So much so, in fact, that we immediately played another game. Those stories are pretty great.

Mansions%2Bof%2BMadness%2BSecond%2Bedition%2Bminiatures%2Band%2Bdice.jpg

[Image credit]

I've playing a game of Pandemic Legacy, and it's very, very good. It's my first time playing a legacy-style game and it's a bit mind blowing.

I played Terraforming Mars the other day, although I had to quit mid game, it was great fun. It feels like Agricola, but in space. Try it if you ever have the chance!

I've playing a game of Pandemic Legacy, and it's very, very good. It's my first time playing a legacy-style game and it's a bit mind blowing.
Interesting. I received Pandemic Legacy as a gift the other day but I'm thinking of selling it. Primarily because I feel that you need to have a core group that you sit down with and play every single time. It's like a shared experience that you all go through and I just don't have such a regular group to play with.
I played Terraforming Mars the other day, although I had to quit mid game, it was great fun. It feels like Agricola, but in space. Try it if you ever have the chance!
I would love to play the game but it seems quite hard to get hold of.

Meanwhile a couple of my latest games.

"The King is Dead" - A re-implementation of "The King of Siam". Absolutely excellent showdown between two or three players:

17457815_10211151558816310_6607478559558638039_n.jpg

And "Discoveries" - Dice rolling and allocation as you're trying to recreate the exploits of the legendary American pioneers Lewis and Clark:

Discoveries-Header.jpg

Interesting. I received Pandemic Legacy as a gift the other day but I'm thinking of selling it. Primarily because I feel that you need to have a core group that you sit down with and play every single time. It's like a shared experience that you all go through and I just don't have such a regular group to play with.

This is true. Well, obviously, you don't have, but I can't imagine playing with different people each time. It's very much a shared experience.

A curious acquisition recently:

pic3418969.png

Looks like a box of mints but is actually a very good worker placement game in which the players are rival neighbourhood planners trying to make their neighbourhood the best.

bg_mintworks_02.jpg

With how scatterbrained I am, that would probably not be a good fit for me. I'd end up gnawing on the pieces, wondering why on earth this mint is so hard to get through.

As for recent purchases, I bought the BattleLore 2.0 expansions that I didn't own yet, so I now have the whole game complete.
bt02-04-new-layout.png

[Image Credit]

The only downside is that it no longer fits in the base game box, so I'll have to find some other way to store it all.

Having posted here for a while but the games have still been coming thick and fast. Here is my latest purchase (with a photo I've actually taken myself for a change):

Mint Delivery - Another game that comes in a mint tin!

pic4252028.jpg

My daughter and I have played a bit of these lately. She's lost three for three in Chess, but won three for three in Stratego. The set I have is a 1961 original (as befits my avocation...)

620602stratego.jpg

620602young.jpg
Yes! That's the game I had!
Ah, the memories...thrashing my younger brothers over and over again...!

I've played a lot of Uno in my time -- all of that well before there was a Game of Thrones game.
But a question about this thread: does Boggle count as a board game?

(For that matter, does Uno?)

I've been thinking about the mentions of having a "core group" of people to play with. I think the absence of such a group is why I've fallen away from playing games lately...
When I was in the Navy I had a small group of buddies that would spend an entire weekend battling -- our favorite game was Avalon Hill's BATTLE OF THE BULGE -- simple to learn to play, and a game that could come to a finish in a few hours.
But occasionally, we would decide to try something more challenging --- you see, we were forced to play in our barracks, and so had to dance around military requirements and such -- for instance, we tried several times to play Avalon Hill's game 1914...it was a difficult, complicate game that we never managed to finish...always, when we tried that, we went right through the weekend and had to put the game away when Monday came and it was back to the Real World. (Is there a game called REAL WORLD? Should there be?)

Once out of the Navy and back in Minnesota, I fell in with Bad Company...no, I mean, with a different sort of group; and our games of choice were DUNE and KINGMAKER.
Alas, all of us developed family connections that did not really want to spend so much of a weekend listening to the rattle of dice and incomprehensible commentary on English noble houses...
*sigh*

Board games are interesting. I got yahtzee from top1apk. With the available grid, it helps us save time. We usually play this game when we go in group. It's really fun.

Yes, I'm looking at a box with Yahtzee right now, across the room on a shelf. The deluxe Boggle is on top of that, and underneath are one of my chess sets, the Stratego, and the Monopoly. (The Avalon Hill games take up 'way too much room to be on that shelf...)

We have been having fun with Puerto Rico since Christmas. Simple yet deep. The amount of detailed needy analysis of this game on the web is impressive.