Board Games

Plank

So how many of us are really into board games? As in, a real hobby, rather than playing every so often with the family?

Personally I love them, and am starting (shock horror) to enjoy them much more than video games. My collection so far consists of:
Settlers of Catan (possibly a favourite)
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Dominion - card, I know but still
Scrabble... cluedo... monopoly... of course
Small World
Munchkin (again cards...)

I have several friends who are similarly into board games and we try to meet up every so often to play. We also have, amongst others, Small World, Battlestar Galactica, Citadels, The Resistance, Lords of Waterdeep...

So... can we talk board games? :)

I used to play a lot of the old Avalon Hill games years ago. Hitler's War was a favourite of mine. Also played a cracking WWII strategy board game at division level called Against The Reich. It was slow(a day needed to be set aside to play it), took forever to set up, the rules were ridicolously complex, the action when it happened was spectacular and then it took forever to manouvre for the next battle. Yep, I loved that game, but not sure would I play it again.

A group of us used to play Axis and Allies non stop for a period of time. We got so damned good at it that we could predict the winner after the first five moves, but still played out the bloody game to its bitter end. Every strategm of the that game is inprinted upon my mind. Not a lot of girls used to hang out with us back then, but it was better than going to the pub and getting hammered at the ages of 15-18.

We love board games, favorites at the moment are Pointless (yes from the TV), Cranium and Rumikub.
Love Perudo (ok no board), scrabble, risk (seriously long game) and all the classics.
I'm fond of a good quiz, and even at times make up our own games to be played on a board.

I love boardgames, but have too little time to let it develop into a full blown hobby. I do get to play Small World sometimes, though, great fun that. I'm also really looking forward to the boardgame version of the old Lone Wolf gamebooks: http://www.greywoodpublishing.com/lwwg.html

Axis and Allies has always intrigued me, whenever I see it in the shop. Interesting to hear your take on it.

I love perudo!! I got it a long, long time ago from my then-girlfriend's parents, and have enjoyed every game since. Risk is a favourite of mine, too.

Mr Fraaz, I know what you mean with lack of time :( My friends and I try to meet up once a fortnight for a games-evening, which is always good fun.

A nice light hearted game is Pandemic (as it's a co-op game it takes out the competitive element), although it can get stressful when you get so close to winning.

Like svalbard, I used to play a lot of the Avalon Hill stuff - mainly Up Front(brilliant card game, still have it, never play it, too fond to part with it) but lack of opponents meant that it was never going to last unfortunately.

A place worth visiting http://boardgamegeek.com/

That has always being one of the big issues with board gaming. Finding suitable opponents who were willing to give up 4 to 5 hours of their time to play Hitler's War, Risk, etc. After a cerain age life just took over and it became more difficult to find the time to play these games. I recall a mammoth length game of Risk that lasted over 15 or so hours. It ended when one of the players in a temper tantrum upended the board. In his defense he suffered a sequence of bizarre dice rolls that saw his much larger army wiped out by a force a tenth of it's size.

Third Reich
DNO/UNT (lets be obscure here!)
The SPI stable
Avalon Hll
Etc.

we have chess, checkers, monopoly, sorry, battleship, risk, pictionary, clue, trivial pursuit, life, snakes and ladders, chinese checkers, parchesi, and a few movie games including lord of the rings; magic the gathering, and candyland.
we find board games to be useful when friends come over just to hang about for a while. (along with cards- but we aren't hanging those in here also, are we?). when there are big family dinners or holidays, they get pulled out to pass time until dinner. they are a good way of including everyone from littles on up into doing things together. and of talking instead of having the television on.

Will Wheaton's Tabletop is a good source of reviews for various games.

I used to play Go a lot, and found it was enjoyable but you really had to get an opponent of the same skill level or it is completely unbalanced.

I also think like the break from sitting in front of screens (work, mainly!) and keeps everyone together and chatting, as jastius said

Love board games. Anyone interested in them should check out the Shut up and sit down site, it's awesome and will get you psyched for some new games without a doubt. And they are funny as well.

Myself I own Android, bertayal at house on the hill, ghost stories, cave troll, infiltration, quarriors, warrior knights, island of doctor necreaux and epic spell wars of the battle wizards: duel at mt. skullzfyre.

Just checked out shut up and sit down - they review citadels in episode 1, so I'm sold!! :)

kromanjon, what games would you recommend from those you've listed - I haven't played any of them!

Quarriors is a Dice building game and has gotten the most play time so far. I love it dearly but must still warn you that it's a game about luck almost exclusivly. If you like random chance though and fists full of dice this game is a must.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a strange survival horror game of sorts. I've only played it a few times but it's been great and very surprising.

Ghost Stories is a cooperative game were you play taoist monks fighting of ghosts and monsters and trying to protect a village. It's relentless and basicaly must be played by four players if you want to stand a chance. Played it a bunch of times but we've onlt managed to beat it once, don't know how we did it.

Warrior Knights is my latest purchase and I haven't had the chance to play it yet. Reading the manual though and looking over the components have gotten me realy exited. This might be my greatest game thus far.

I love all my games in one way or Another but these are the ones I would recommend and they cover a spectrum as well depending on what kind of board game you like.

Regularly play Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Dixit, and Perudo with with the family.

Fantastic to see others enjoying Perudo :)

Ticket to Ride is a family favourite, it seems to appeal to all ages. The ladyfriend doesn't like Carcassonne very much, so it doesn't get played too often! Catan is the popular one it seems!

There are some great Scifi themed board games out there, such as Eclipse, Alien Frontiers, and Cosmic Encounters. I also have to mention Le Harve, Dice Town, and China Town. ;D

Since I last posted to this 20 months ago my board game hobby has grown. I now have loads of games including: pandemic, marvel dice masters, dominion, game of thrones, edrich horror (a lovecraftian co-op game) and plenty more. This Christmas I got Dixit, small world, forbidden island, werewolf, betrayal at house on haunted hill, ticket to ride Europe and Telestrations.
werewolf went down really well with my big family. Also telestrations was hilarious.
I think boardgames are having a big resurgence that might go mainstream soon.
love tabletop and dice tower on YouTube.

...Alien Frontiers...
I'm a big fan of this game, specifically for the mechanic it uses with the dice. It's nice to see a game where there aren't really "bad rolls", only rolls you can't use the way you wanted to. While some may be shocked to hear this, I really dislike Catan. It is just too random for my taste.

I have the good fortune to have a gaming group that live nearby and a local group that meets twice a month. This past weekend our gaming group played Lords of Waterdeep and I was reminded why it current is top of my list. 4 player game, 1h45 followed by a 3 player game, 1h10 to finish. Lots of different strategies and the game is unique each time. Can't recommend it enough.

Cheers,