• More F than SF

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Almost exclusively F

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

Nerds_feather

Purveyor of Nerdliness
Follow the blog on twitter: @nerds_feather Like u
This has probably been done before, but always fun to see where people's allegiances/interests lie. The choice in the poll is just between science fiction and fantasy, though other stuff could be brought up in replies.

For me, I'd say currently my SF/F reading is close to 50/50.

If I broaden it to all fiction, then it's probably:

30% science fiction
30% fantasy
20% crime fiction
20% literary fiction

Certainly more SF. But I have to scratch the fantasy itch occasionally. Mainly because I get sucked into something by discussion on these boards.

When I was younger, it was probably 90/10 SF/F or possibly slightly less imbalanced than that and, these days it's even more imbalanced: about 93/7 SF/F. In the last couple+ years, I've read 140 SF/F books, of which 10 were fantasy/horror and I didn't finish 2 of those.

As far as other reading, I tend to read very little prose fiction that isn't SF/F but generally do read a lot of non-fiction and some poetry. Probably over my lifetime, it's about 50/50 or maybe 60/40 non-SFF/SFF but I really have no idea. Lately, it's been almost all SF/F as I continue to scale the Unread Mountain. Ironically, while I've been doing that, the unread non-SFF mountain has been growing a bit.

Currently I read more Fantasy than Science Fiction. If you had asked this a couple years ago, it would have been Fantasy with no Science Fiction. :)

But I also read Historical fiction and Non Fiction books. My order would probably be:

Fantasy
Non Fiction
Historical Fiction
Science Fiction

I chose More F than SF, although it's all some sort of Horror tale. Horror Fantasy, horror Science fiction, or just plain horror. But when I'm not reading horror I would prefer to read fantasy - even high fantasy - rather than science fiction.

I've only read a handful of science fiction novels, so few I can name them all here without taking up much white space: Ender's Game, Dune, Tommyknockers (i know that's pushing it), and The Gods Themselves.

So I'm a horror and fantasy guy. Very little SciFi. I love scifi movies though. ;)

I've only started reading SF in earnest these past 2 years. That gives me a lot more choice than Fantasy, since I have some catching up to do. I'd say in a year or so it will be 50:50. I really like alternating genres when I read - sort of like a palate cleanser.

Of the two I read almost exclusively Science Fiction. I've read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Hobbit I've also read one of Teresa's books and enjoyed it enough to buy the follow-up (which I need to find and read) and I've also read some of Jim Butcher's stuff and enjoyed that. But when I'm not in "real" world, it's probably Science Fiction. Last couple of years, though, I've tended to be interested in Classic detective fiction. But in the end, it's all good.

I stopped reading SF and Fantasy for about 25 years, focusing on history and archeology instead. However, I came back to SF and Fantasy in the early 90s and have read hundreds of novels since that time, so mant that I have pretty much caught up to where I would have been had I continued. In that interval I have discovered many new and wonderful authors.

At first I focused almost entirely on fantasy, reading my way through various series until I had finished most of those that caught my fancy. In the last few years I have swung the other way and now read mostly science fiction.

So to answer the question I would say that right now I read almost exclusively SF. However, that will probably change as I exhaust the offerings of current authors, especially now that a few fantasy series I have been waiting on such as Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time have finally ground to a conclusion. Ditto for George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. and Steven Erikson's Malazan series.

I'm almost exclusively SF. Sure, there's a lot out there to read, but there's just so much more SF too.

Same for my TV/Movie choices.

For most of my life it was probably about 75% SF and 25% fantasy. Now, those two are approximately equal and I've broadened my horizons into other areas, most notably the classics that I spent far too long ignoring.

About equal, I'd say.

25% fantasy
25% science-fiction
25% detective/mystery fiction
25% all other genres including non-fiction

As a kid it was pretty much pure SF, as a teenager and into my twenties it was almost exclusively fantasy. I found I got very bored of the 'same old' in fantasy and have now moved back to amost exclusively SF, which, for me at least, has a lot more variety; I've never been into urban fantasy which I guess removes a lot of the modern variety in fantasy.

My reading breaks down roughly as follows:

45% SF
45% F
10% Histories

More SF than F lately, maybe a 70/30 split at the moment.

I would say 60% SF and 40% Fantasy at the moment like in recent years. I have more natural,broader interest in SF, all of its types no matter the author while i read fantasy only to read some fav authors. Many who also write SF.

In fiction in general i would say:

30% Science Fiction
30% Crime fiction
20% Classics, genre classics and mainstream classics
20% Fantasy, poetry,other genres like general fiction, historical fiction,horror,humor