Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan

I have this book in a cart on amazon for next order. I have 4 books to read right now that I need to get done first

I just finished this in one sitting and have to give this book the thumbs up. It is different, what with gunpowder mixed with sorcery and social change. Although I would say that the revolution and the idea of a new society were the weakest parts of an otherwise excellent read. I really enjoyed the characters and found myself routing for Tamas, Adamat and Taniel from the get go. Again I would question the logic behind such a brilliant general like Tamas ending up in some of the binds he finds himself in, but it is a minor quibble. Book of the Year for me so far.

Anyone tried The Autumn Republic yet? I really enjoyed Promise of Blood, but I've actually waited until the series was finished before plunging in. A satisfying ending?

Brian, I have it on my shelf but haven't cracked it yet. I did enjoy Promise of Blood, but I think I need to re-read a synopsis, because I forgot more of the plot than I remember.

I am half way through The Crimson Campaign and enjoying it immensely. Taniel and Adamat are good main characters and the world is well realised.

Well, I did read and enjoy the hardback of Promise of Blood - reviewed it here back in 2013: Review: Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan

I got the other two books in the trilogy as ebooks a while back, but I don't really remember too well the events. However, the ebook of Promise of Blood is only £1.99 at Amazon, so I've bought it and figure I'll re-read that, then move on to The Autumn Republic and The Crimson Campaign. :)

I read Promise of Blood when it came out in hardback and I enjoyed it immensely, but have yet to get around to the sequels.

I completed the trilogy and whist I found them enjoyable the first book was the best in the series.

I've read some of McClellan's standalone novellas and enjoyed those, too - I recall one was about Tanriel in the Fatrastrian war, and how he met Ko-Poel. It was made all the more interesting because the setting was like a bayoux swamp, which was different.

I've just started Sins of Empire, the first book in the follow up series, and am really enjoying, building on what went before and taking things in a different direction. I'm enjoying as much as the first series (if not a little more) and think the selection of characters is magnificent, both old and new.