Od Magic- Patricia A. McKillip

Old Magic

Patricia A. McKillip

Ace, Jun 2005, $22.95, $22.95, 320 pp.

ISBN: 0441012485

In the Northern Country of the Kingdom of Numis, the giantess wizard Od asks Brenden Vetch to come to the capital of Kelior to become gardener at the Old School of Magic that she established years ago after protecting the city from invaders. Living in sorrow since his parents died and his brother Jode and his girlfriend Meryd left the sadness behind by moving on, Brenden accepts the position.

Brenden arrives at the school after walking for several months, but shocks instructor Yar Ayrwood by entering through the door under the big shoe; a portal not used in almost two decades and not seen by most people. The students are mostly the sons and daughters of the ruling class hoping to gain an edge in their loyal support of King Galin. Former student Wizard Valoren arrives as the monarch’s chosen one to spy this year’s students to insure none display disloyalty. Valoren is unaware at this time that the real threat lies in a reticent new employee who talks and listens to the plants as he speaks their language.

OLD MAGIC is a terrific fantasy tale starring a delightful protagonist, a vile villain, and an assortment of eccentric supporting characters including the mysterious wonderful Wizard of Od. The story line grips the reader from the moment that a befuddled Brenden enters the school through an unused for two decades portal and though wizardry driven, mesmerizes readers until the final spell is spun. Patricia A. McKillip writes a charming tale that showcases why she consistently one of the best fantasists on the market today.

Harriet Klausner

Re: Old Magic- Patricia A. McKillip

Amazon has this title as "Od Magic." I wonder which is correct?

Harriet, if you don't mind my asking, if this book is still 2 months from being released, how come you are able to write a review of it??

I'm a big fan of McKillip and love all but a handful of her books. So I'm really looking forward to this one.

How would you compare it to her other books, Harriet? To which ones would you say it was the most similar?

Is that a declaration of your interest of the book, or are you in need of some assistance???

Neither.

Amazon has this title as "Od Magic." I wonder which is correct?

Od Magic is correct, one would think Amazon's #1 reviewer would know:) (But we don't expect much from them anyway), and I know for a fact that the ARC copy plainly says OD Magic on it.

Back