AE - Introducing Caroline (760 words)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. S. Behsam

Hi everyone,

I haven't been very active lately, and it's mainly because I'm close to my brother's death anniversary and I'm not feeling really well (it usually lasts the whole month of his...death). So browsing through your amazing critique thread, I thought I would send another piece of my main project which I almost done editing.

I haven't been writing much because I'm busy with commissions and I'm trying to complete your art requests as well. I'm so sorry if it's taking too long.

Anyway, in this part of the story, Anahita and her sister Lyra take Michael to see Caroline; a Seer who might help him with the choices he has to make. This this the part Caroline is introduced and we first see her and her house.

Your comments and opinions are most welcome, and really appreciated.

~Aty

-----

Out of the passage was plain like the spot we'd stopped the car, but large and looking like a vast yard; a fence secured the edges, and the trees and bushes were trimmed. At the end of the yard up against the mountainside sat a dozen stones that ended to a wide two-story house. The smoke coming out of the chimney, which split the house in the middle, dissipated into wisps in the chilly air. The whole structure was made of large black stone bricks. The stones were worn and smooth, and they reflected the pale light of the sun. Two small balconies were positioned on either side of the chimney. All the windows were dressed with green curtains.

“Actually it’s not as scary at it seems,” Anahita said, considering the black house with me.

“It’s not scary,” I said. “It’s unique.”

Lyra slouched toward the wooden door as I walked to the fence, captivated by the view. It kind of had me reconsider my doubts in Caroline’s sanity. The cold metal fence felt pretty solid when I shook it, so I leaned more over the barrier, scanning the cliffs in the distance. We hadn’t gone as high as I thought we had. The whole place was on a cliff probably higher than any of the other cliffs overlooking the ocean from Eagle Valley. The infinite grayish-blue water met the cold azure sky at the horizon. All in all, it was awesome.

Caroline!” Lyra shouted, hammering the wooden door several times and shifting her feet constantly to warm herself; I’d almost forgotten how frigid it was up here.

“Come on,” Anahita said. She headed toward the house and I followed her.

The moment we reached the door up the stairs it swung open, and Lyra brushed past a tall, lean woman in a long black dress.

“In case you’re not aware,” she told Anahita, not acknowledging me. Her voice was calm but rough, like a serious smoker’s voice. She had an odd accent and enunciated the words one by one. She pointed to Anahita’s clothes. “It is the twenty-first century.”

“Michael, this is Caroline,” Anahita introduced us without turning to her.

“Oh, hello!” Caroline said with a sudden outburst of a warm smile as though I were her old friend. Before meeting Caroline, I had pictured her a gray-haired woman with dirty nails and black teeth, wearing layers of gypsy clothes, beads, and bracelets, and smelling like spices. But that image was completely off the mark. She looked to be in her fifties, didn’t wear beads or charms, and didn’t have messy hair at all. Her dark eyes twinkled, and her thick jet-black hair, straight and shiny, made her seem like a transformed crow. Her facial features were delicate, as though sculptured—a thin nose and thick lips. She was probably one of the few tan people in Eagle Valley, like Iryana.

She held her hand out to me, the veins visible under her skin.

“Nice to meet you,” I said and took her hand. It wasn’t soft, despite the look. When I wanted to let go, she tightened her grip, smiling as her stare pricked into my eyes.

“Precisely,” she said. I wondered if by this she meant she just had an image of me like I did of her. “Come in.” She turned on her heel. “Take your shoes off. They’d stain the carpets.”

Anahita rolled her eyes.

“Ladies first,” I told her. She bent to take her boots off. I did the same. “She’s odd.”

“Don’t pay attention to everything she does or says,” she whispered back. “You’d lose your mind.”

We put our boots beside Lyra’s shoes inside. I closed the door and followed Anahita in. The inside of Caroline’s house was far different from the mysterious expression of its outside appearance, but it was just as unique. The main door opened to the living room, which overtook most of the first floor. The walls, the floor, and even the stairs in front of the door were of black stone, and the ones under my feet were pleasantly warm. Next to the worn-out couches was a dining table, and the house was void of decorations. The noon light filtered through the dark-green curtains, providing a sleepy atmosphere.

Lyra rubbed her hands together in front of the fireplace. Caroline strode toward the stairs and pointed to her dress. “You’ll have to excuse me. Can’t stand the color.”

Is she kidding? Her whole house is freaking black.

She turned away and walked up the stairs. Lyra silently followed her. I turned to Anahita, who gave me an I-told-you-so look and went to the dining table.

Hi Aty,
An anniversary of a death can be a sad time. I wish you well and hope you feel more like yourself soon.

I'll comment on the few things that stood out to me. Leaving the technical stuff for those who know better than I.

At the end of the yard up against the mountainside sat a dozen stones that ended to a wide two-story house. The smoke coming out of the chimney, which split the house in the middle, dissipated into wisps in the chilly air. The whole structure was made of large black stone bricks.

By 'a dozen stones' are you referring to a path? Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't sure until I read that a few times.

Also, I would say to introduce the colour of the house as soon as you mention it. I read 'wide two-story house' as 'white two-story house' and got confused when I read about the black stone bricks.

Lyra slouched toward the wooden door as I walked to the fence, captivated by the view.

To me, you slouch in a chair. Not a manner of walking.

“Caroline!” Lyra shouted, hammering the wooden door

You've mentioned 'wooden door' already. Could you refer to it differently the second time?

The moment we reached the door up the stairs it swung open

Where did the stairs come from?

“In case you’re not aware,” she told Anahita, not acknowledging me. Her voice was calm but rough, like a serious smoker’s voice. She had an odd accent and enunciated the words one by one. She pointed to Anahita’s clothes. “It is the twenty-first century.”

Who's line is this? At first I thought it Lyra but then I think it's the woman in a long black dress.

Interesting imagery you're giving us here. There's a lot to take in; I feel I'm getting a better picture of the outside than the inside of the house.

Maybe asking for critiques is perhaps not the best way to cheer oneself up! Anniversaries of sad events are always difficult.

I'll echo Glitch's comments and I'll add one technical point that's easily corrected. Bricks are a material. They are different from stone. You can have black bricks (there are some famous examples in Germany; the bricks were mixed with ox blood during manufacture), but I think it's spookier to go with black stone. Not obsidian, but black granite works great. Black basalt works too. Both are uncommon enough to make the knowledgeable reader wonder what sort of person would go to all that trouble, while someone who neither knows nor cares will just think "cool, a black house". If you need to mention the shape, they can be "blocks" rather than "bricks".

@Glitch: Thank you so much for the helpful review and taking your time for this. :)

@sknox: Oh, no worries, receiving critiques always cheer me up whether it's full of compliments or it has a lot of issues pointed out.

Thanks a lot. I think you're right. Thanks for your help. :)

Hi Aty,

I have to agree, I'm not sure I'd post in critiques to cheer me up! I really liked this, though. I like that it takes its time introducing the scene and describing things. (A description lover here :) ) I echo the other's comments but I've got a few of my own too - mainly to do with the wording of things.

-----

It kind of had me reconsider my doubts in Caroline’s sanity.

This is just personal preference but I think I'd have it as 'reconsidering' in this sentence.

The moment we reached the door up the stairs it swung open, and Lyra brushed past a tall, lean woman in a long black dress.

This kind of made me do a double take - has Lyra just barged into someone's house without even being greeted? It might be in her character but at first glance it's a bit odd.

When I wanted to let go, she tightened her grip, smiling as her stare pricked into my eyes.

I can't decide if 'pricked' works here or not - it's an unusual word to associate with a stare, but it's also quite clever in that it implies her gaze is sharp. I would probably go for 'bored into my eyes' as it's a bit more of a traditional expression.

(Obviously all these comments are just my personal thoughts and you can feel free to ignore them! What do I know, after all. :p)

Overall I really liked it. Your descriptions are really good, I especially liked the one about Caroline's looks. Good luck with the editing. :)

This is very good. I've seen houses made of black brick, rather striking.

I agree with the comments thus far and then notice that the overall effect is to make ALL the characters and the setting, not just Caroline, seem rather strange, so is that the idea?

Also the business about the cliffs is unclear, are we in a sort of modern day cliff dwelling community or what? Could just be me.

Condolences on your loss, it never goes away but it does get better.

I didn't like the first para. It was confusing to me and I had to read it several times, "plain," and "passage," were confusing to me. However, once I got past this I thought it was avery good piece. Considering English is your second language - I'm jealous of you:)

Red = delete
Green = insert

Out of the passage was plain like the spot we'd stopped the car, I've read this a few times and think it could be clearer but large and looking like a vast yard; a fence secured the edges, and the trees and bushes were trimmed. At the end of the yard up against the mountainside sat a dozen stones that ended to a wide two-story house. The smoke coming out of the chimney, which split the house in two the middle delete, dissipated into wisps in the chilly air. The whole structure was made of large black stone bricks. The stones were worn and smooth, and they reflected the pale light of the sun. Two small balconies were positioned on either side of the chimney. All the windows were dressed with green curtains. I dont like this paragraph, I think you could be clearer. It's not giving me the scene as it should.

“Actually it’s not as scary at it seems,” Anahita said, considering the black house with me. This confused me

“It’s not scary,” I said. “It’s unique.”

Lyra slouched toward the wooden door as I walked to the fence, captivated by the view. It kind of had me reconsider my doubts in Caroline’s sanity. The cold metal fence felt pretty solid when I shook it, so I leaned more over the barrier, scanning the cliffs in the distance. We hadn’t gone as high as I thought we could had delete. The whole place was on a cliff probably higher than any of the other cliffs repeat of cliff find another word overlooking the ocean from Eagle Valley. The infinite grayish-blue water met the cold azure sky at the horizon. All in all, it was awesome.

“Caroline!” Lyra shouted, hammering the wooden door several times and shifting her feet constantly to warm herself; delete and replace with fullstop I’d almost forgotten how frigid it was up here.

“Come on,” Anahita said. She headed toward the house and I followed her delete.

“Michael, this is Caroline,” Anahita introduced us without turning to her.

“Oh, hello!” Caroline said with a sudden outburst of a warm smile as though I were her old friend. Before meeting Caroline, I had pictured her a gray-haired woman with dirty nails and black teeth, wearing layers of gypsy clothes, beads, and bracelets, and smelling like spices. But that image was completely off the mark. She looked to be in her fifties, didn’t wear beads or charms, and didn’t have messy hair at all. Her dark eyes twinkled, and her thick jet-black hair, straight and shiny, made her seem like a transformed crow. Her facial features were delicate, as though sculptured—a thin nose and thick lips. She was probably one of the few tan people in Eagle Valley, like Iryana. I love this

She held her hand out to me, the veins visible under her skin.

“Nice to meet you,” I said and took her hand. It wasn’t soft, despite the look. When I wanted to let go, she tightened her grip, smiling as her stare pricked into my eyes.

“Precisely,” she said. I wondered if by this she meant she just had an image of me like I did of her. “Come in.” She turned on her heel. “Take your shoes off. They’d stain the carpets.”

Anahita rolled her eyes.

“Ladies first,” I told her. She bent to take her boots off. I did the same. “She’s odd.”

“Don’t pay attention to everything she does or says,” she whispered back. “You’d lose your mind.”

We put our boots beside Lyra’s shoes inside delete. I closed the door and followed Anahita in delete. The inside of Caroline’s house was far different from the mysterious expression of its outside appearance, but it was just as unique. The main door opened to the living room, which overtook most of the first floor. The walls, the floor, and even the stairs in front of the door were of black stone, and the ones under my feet were pleasantly warm. Next to the worn-out couches was a dining table, and the house was void of decorations. The noon light filtered through the dark-green curtains, providing a sleepy atmosphere. Another nice description

Lyra rubbed her hands together in front of the fireplace. Caroline strode toward the stairs and pointed to her dress. “You’ll have to excuse me. Can’t stand the color.”

Is she kidding? Her whole house is freaking black.

She turned away and walked up the stairs. Lyra silently followed her. I turned to Anahita, who gave me an I-told-you-so look and went to the dining table.

@allmywires: Critiques do cheer me up, honestly! :) Thank you so much for the review. :)

@JoanDrake:Thank you so much for reading it. And thanks for the condolences.

@Gary: Thank you so much Gary. Glad you liked the two description. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.