Devastating news - Iain Banks has cancer...

Awful, crushing news. Iain isn't just a wonderful writer, he's a genuinely great bloke. Really hope that he and Adele make the most of the next few months. If there were ever the time for a miracle, it's now.

I saw this on twitter this morning. Maybe it's that I'm reading The Hydrogen Sonata at the moment but I found it quite upsetting (I have enough misery in my own life that I cloak myself from others' bad news). It doesn't seem fair that someone so talented, who's brought enjoyment to so many, should leave the world prematurely, but stupid life isn't fair much of the time.

This sort of thing puts everything else in life into prospective and I echo what Ian, (Whates) said.

Jesus, this is awful news.

And I was just thinking about dipping back into his work again, just over the past few days.

My humblest and deepest thoughts go out to him, his loved ones, family and friends.

Terribly sad and it doesn't sound like there is really any chance of recovery. If there's one author I'd like to have met and spent time talking to it's Iain Banks. He will be sadly missed by me.

Just last night I took Stonemouth off the shelf to read next, and am planning another Culture read, too. Very sad news :(

Terribly sad and it doesn't sound like there is really any chance of recovery. If there's one author I'd like to have met and spent time talking to it's Iain Banks. He will be sadly missed by me.

Vertigo, Iain is a really lovely guy. As recently as this February (six weeks ago) we were exchanging emails and discussing meeting up next year for a drink or two. Now... :(

Never got into his books, but I started reading them after I heard an interview, and he came over as a truly nice guy, with a self-deprecating humour that made me like him immediately. I hope his remaining time gives him comfort.

I am devastated by this news :(
Iain is my favortie Sci-fi writer and I'm so going to miss his work
Such a shame, but my thoughts are with him and his family, hopefully his last few months will be time enough to say goodbye to those he loves.

We will miss you Iain. Thank you for all the wonderful books.

Re: Iain M Banks - has cancer

Sad news. A good writer that (in an ideal world) should have many years yet to enthrall us with his tales.

Re: Iain M Banks - has cancer

Yep, the sad news was posted earlier in his sub-forum. I'll move these posts over to the other thread.

Horrible news. Banks is one of my favorite SF writers, and from everything I've heard, a very kind and thoughtful person as well. I hope there is some hope, and if not, then I hope he is comfortable and knows how much we fans appreciate what he's done for us over the years.

Horrible news. Banks is one of my favorite SF writers, and from everything I've heard, a very kind and thoughtful person as well. I hope there is some hope, and if not, then I hope he is comfortable and knows how much we fans appreciate what he's done for us over the years.

There's website that has been set up:

http://friends.banksophilia.com/

So that family and fans can leave messages for him and he'll post updates.

Horrible news. He's one of a kind. I wish him and his new bride as much joy as possible over the remaining months. Sad day.