Devastating news - Iain Banks has cancer...

Banks is one of only a couple of authors whose works I read slavishly. What a loss. Hope he gets to drive on some of his beloved "Great Wee Roads" that he described in Raw Spirit during the next few months.

Uterly shocking and sad, sad, sad. I can't believe it. For me, speak of SF, he is the one and only. I thought his Culture would live for a very long time... What a huge loss it will be for the literature world! I hate cancer.

Banks is one of only a couple of authors whose works I read slavishly. What a loss. Hope he gets to drive on some of his beloved "Great Wee Roads" that he described in Raw Spirit during the next few months.

I'm sure that's exactly what he'll be doing!

I'll be grateful, always, for a rare vision of a future that's not dystopian, and has those damn genius AI ships...

What absolutely dreadful news. Very sad and depressing. I must read some more of his work, its been a few years since I read any culture novels.

Sad news. Banks can only be considered as an author of modern classics. This will be a great loss to the British SF world.

I just discovered this news by accident, it hasn't had a mention in the local press. All I can say is I am devastated. Banks brought me back to SF and made me love a honking good space opera. I am currently reading Feersum Endjinn, and I think I shall do him the honour of reading it again the moment I finish because it is clearly a classic of Banksian complexity and subtlety. I wish it were the world of FE where Iain had six more turns in the real world. He is not gone yet, I hope he enjoys the time left to him, that he reflects on how he brought pleasure to us all and feels it was all worthwhile. Iain, I am anticipating your next book, as ever.
- Gav

Dreadful news. Hope he enjoys his remaining time to the fullest.

I'm so sad. Ian M. Banks has become my favorite author, and I've read most of his science fiction books, and I have been in the process of looking for other authors with his depth, humor, and insight into the human condition. It's hard to believe that we won't be graced by any more of his truly universe spanning fiction.

Thanks, I will check those out. I found the "Alternative to IMB" thread too. (Can't post links until I've been here a while.)

I'm reading The Shadow of the Scorpion now. It's not lost on me that Neal Asher is from the UK too. :)

Cool. First time I'm ever visiting a SF forum! Too many books to read, not enough time ... :D