Eddings as Graphic Novels?

Zombie

I asked this on the Eddings FB page but there wasn't a huge response. I know people talk of movies, and it would kinda be nice if done well enough. But that's never going to happen. And as I was rereading The Stand's graphic novel adaptation I got to thinking that this is one area where Eddings books might translate well.

What do you guys think?

i've always thought it would translate well except for the sheer length of his works. if you examine it from a scriptorial point of view there are many small vignettes that are possibly going to get lost... but that is not a major issue should you do a multi issue spread. the other problem i see with it is should you examine the thread - who would you have play the belgarad characters in a movie- then you will see that everyone has their own unique viewpiont of what exactly these characters should look like. Should you vary from their ideals ...
but as for simply drawing the scenes, David Eddings is a very visual writer whose descriptions give his characters and scenes very poignant images. Quite easy to render in that way actually. You might want to try posting up a challenge on the arts thread and see if you get any takers.

Considering the length of The Stand, I don't think it would be too hard to illustrate any of the series. My pick would be the Elenium to start off with. It's lighter if that makes any sense.

Eddings did an excellent job of filling in character descriptions, though people do have their own mental idea of what the character looks like. But that's kinda what happens with book to movie/comic anyway. I thought Ender's Game was done well, again with The Stand.

I picked up those Japanese versions a while back that have a manga style cover. Though I wouldn't like manga for the graphic novels, I just think it would be a nice way to introduce the books to more people.

yes, i definitely think that manga style would be problematic to say the best...( hyper japanese school girl style Polgara?...ummm)
Classic pencil and ink or even the new watercolor style would be a better fit. but what about permissions? I have even parsed out story boards of Eddings just for sheer enjoyment when i was not doing stuff that paid, but without permissions its pretty much a fandom thing and a nogo publicly. unless that is what you were after? a personal piece... but then more established artists pay agents to get permissions and things... Dark Horse is one of the better lines for unusual projects. there may be a few independents up to give it a go, as well. what you need to make a pitch is - well an artist on board. story board mock up with thumbnails for at least the first chapter and summary of later chapters... character makeups of key players and three line summation of entire work with projected lengths for each segment and entire book length to work up. the publishers want this information because they have to pay for the job to be done and they want an idea of projected cost estimate to help decide whether to go for it.