Why the 1978 Battlestar Galactica Doesn’t Suck

J-Sun

Why the 1978 Battlestar Galactica Doesn’t Suck

You should read this even if you just vaguely know about this show and don't much care - as long as you can follow along, it's a pretty entertaining article and I think he's serious but who knows? :) A lot of the comments are fun, too.

I'd like to see a companion "Why the 2004 Battlestar Galactica Sucks", myself.

And, wow - three years since the last post in this forum?

I dont care if it sucks or not, the remake is better than 100% of other SF tv shows made so why i would i bother with a different version of it.

There is only one Battlestar Galactica that matters. I say that as SF tv,film fan who usually thinks the older SF are better than new ones today.

The original Pilot film was decent, but the rest of the series was pretty mediocre and forgettable at best.

It scarred my early childhood having been forced to watch it instead of the much-wanted Watership Down. I still hate it. My 7yo self won't ever let me not.

Give the Ron Moore new Galatica a try , It's a great series .(y)

There was supposed to be Battlestar feature film based on the original series, so far it hasn't happened.

On the other hand, Galactica 1980 did suck though; big time!

Finally finding the lost planet Earth should have been a climax; raising Earth's tech level and defending it from the Cylons. Instead it was time travel, Nazis, Day the Earth Stood Still and a general weirdness such as Doctor Zee.

I remember reading the novelisation of the two-part opening episode before that two-parter was released in the cinema prior to the series coming on tv. My dad then took me to see said 'film' and he slept all the way through it. I tried to re-watch it a couple of years ago and did the same :D

Wait a minute, so there are people out there who don't like the original?

Huh, you live and learn, not to say grow a little disappointed with humanity.

On the other hand, Galactica 1980 did suck though; big time!

Finally finding the lost planet Earth should have been a climax; raising Earth's tech level and defending it from the Cylons. Instead it was time travel, Nazis, Day the Earth Stood Still and a general weirdness such as Doctor Zee.

The Network bosses wanted the show to be educational.

Larson should have hired better writers for the original.

And better directors.

Having seen the trailer and read about his plans, I do believe that Richard Hatch's idea for a sequel series in the late '90s would have been quite good. I liked the original, but even as a child I knew it was ropey, I just thought it was camp and fun, and I loved the music!

Then Ron Moore remade it and it was just AMAZING! He really showed that with a bit of thought you really could turn something 'so-bad-it's-good' into something truly breathe taking.

I have no time for fans of the original who cannot appreciate Ron Moore's work. Such feelings defy logic and reason.

I read a post somewhere by some such person who whined (I paraphrase): "why do all characters have to consist of so many shades grey, why can't the characters simply be black and white?" Answer: because I'm not eight years old anymore. I am an adult and I want to watch something more intellectually challenging with a bit of depth.

Well, I enjoyed it a lot. Not that there was much choice in terms of science fiction on TV at that particular time.

Yes, it was silly and campy at times, but it was still fun. Rather like a certain British import about a guy who was travelling through time and space. Some of those story lines for the old Who were pretty absurd, not to mention the cheap sets and costumes a lot of the time. But that didn't stop it from being a guilty pleasure. It was the same with the old Battlestar Galactica. Embarrassing at times, but that didn't stop me from liking it.

I watched this a little when I was around 4 years old. It was fun for me then, but I'm not sure what I'd think of it now. It would be easy perhaps to see some of the episodes on youtube I am thinking.

May of worked if done as originally planed a series of t.v. movies rather then rushed into a series.if they kept Jane Seymore as well.

May of worked if done as originally planed a series of t.v. movies rather then rushed into a series.if they kept Jane Seymore as well.

That would have allowed for better written stories.

Last edited:
I saw this, all of the episodes, when they first came out. Like Teresa said, there wasn't much going on in Sci Fi tv world back then. Decades later I heard someone, for some unfathomable reason, was going to do a remake. I wanted to gouge my eyes out and tear off my ears to avoid the cold sweats caused by the original. No, mate, said a friend, it's all right. It's all right. And it was. Everything wrong about the original, scripting, acting (although with those scripts Lord Sir Laurence Olivier would have trouble), direction, production, the guy who served the coffee, everything, was turned on its head by the reboot. With respect to fans of the original, who would want to see, let alone see again, this unimaginably dreadful show, when the reboot is sublime. And that folks, is my two cents worth.