James Herbert 8/4/1943 - 20/3/2013

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
James Herbert dies

Sad to hear James Herbert has died:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21870413

He was one of the first authors I ever bought into, and had quite a collection of his books at one point.

As a teenager, I loved the dark themes he touched upon - but like Stephen King, James Herbert tended to have difficulty ending his stories, his Rats trilogy excepted.

Bit of a shock this one, but it's now been confirmed that the British Horror writer, James Herbert passed away this morning at the age of 69 years.

For me Herbert will always be associated with his 'Rat' novels (Rats, Lair and Domain) but he was a massively popular author (one of Mrs Perp's favourites) and seemed to be undergoing a bit of a renaissance recently, with the successful television adaptation of The Secret of Crickley Hall, and the radio drama based on The Magic Cottage.

Only last week saw the release of his 23rd novel 'Ash' and it seemed that he had many plans for what lay ahead.

BBC Obituary

I would say Rest in Peace but I'm not sure that is what the best horror writers would want.

RIP, I loved Herbert when I was younger, Fluke was amazing. The Rats Trilogy terrified me, not many authors can do that. I recently read his last book Ash and found it riveting.

Maybe we will see some more Herbert novels, you never know he did have a liking for the afterlife.

I've not read the book, but the film version of his story Fluke makes me bawl every time.

I was given a collection of four of his stories once (Fluke and The Fog were in it). A cracking read. RIP

Checking my books I have, The Fog, The Dark, Rats, Lair, Domain, Survivor,48, The Shrine, Nobody True, Others, Secret of Crickley Hall, The Haunted, Magic Cottage, Once,Ash, Portent, Ghosts of Sleath, Sepluchre was looking for Fluke as thought I had a copy but it seems to have been misplaced.

Another favourite author of mine. I grew up reading his books, Moon, The Dark, The Jonah etc, Never read The Rats trilogy tho! Might have to put that right.
RIP mr Herbert-you will be missed!

I've read all the Rats books as I grew up and loved them, almost a right of passage for my generation. He lived to a good age I guess, writing to the last as far as I know. He left a mark, what more could you ask for.

RIP James. I too loved your books as a teenager. Thanks.

Loved his horror especially "The Fog", "The Survivor" & "The Spear".
Such a shame to have died so early.
RIP James.