Gilbert & Sullivan and sf authors and fans

Extollager

Over at the GroffConklin anthologies thread

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/539121-reading-around-in-groff-conklins-anthologies-6.html

I commented on Poul Anderson's story "My Object All Sublime...," the title of which is from G&S's Mikado.

My impression is that knowledge of G&S used to be common among sf fans and writers. However, I don't think that's nearly so much the case now.

I'm not lamenting this. I have to admit that I'd have liked to like G&S -- their work was recommended to me by my best friend at the time, who shared an interest in sf -- but I just don't seem to care for it. But I'm sure that lots of sf folk did.
laura-howell-doctor-who-gilbert-sullivan.jpg

If anyone wants to comment on any aspect of G&S, but perhaps especially in connection, in some way or other, with sf stories, authors, fans, filk songs, etc., here's a place at Chrons to do that.
event_198659082.jpeg

http://www.meetup.com/The-Geek-Club-South-Bay/events/101376232/

I always seem to like them when I hear them, especially "I am the very model of a modern major general." Can't think of any sf connections right now but for what it's worth my first exposure to G&S was Cap'n Crunch commercials.:eek:

I just mentioned in another thread that Asimov was a big fan. Don't really have anywhere to go with that, but there it is. :)

As a child, in the '60's; my parents often hied me off to the Geary Theater in San Francisco, for a lovely evening of Operetta. Fascinating to see on stage. Hilarious music and witty Lyrics. I enjoyed those shows immensely.

Not quite so fun to try to enjoy an audio-only recording.

Next most memorable song, after dask's Modern Major General; appurtenant to many a current current event: I Have a Little List A jolley little ditty about people who need to be done away with. Timeless.

Regarding the SF connection... Fritz Leiber comes to mind. His parents were thespians, and Fritz was immersed in the world of theater, lifelong. Many of his stories reflect the sense of theatrical delusion, at least obliquely. Explicitly, in the case of the '64 story Four Ghosts in Hamlet.