Perdido Street Station

Lord Captain Woden

Rather than turning the Book Hauls into a discussion thread I thought I'd start a new one for this book I've just ordered. Now as some of you know I'm currently making my way through the SF Masterworks series so this is a bit of a deviation from that but I happened to be in Waterstones today and seen this, read the first few pages and thought it was something I'd really enjoy it.

So I was basically wanting to get you lots opinion on this book and other works by this author.

I think it's a fantastic book, but not without its flaws (which I won't mention here before you've read it). Very atmospheric with well-drawn characters. It made me want to read more of his, including the books which came before PSS.

Got to agree with alc - it has its flaws, but it's a very good book (fantastic, even, when it gets going), and quite unlike anything else I've read.

I read it recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Given that you folks don't want to ruin the OP's reading experience I'd be very interested if you could kindly PM me with your thoughts on the flaws in the novel.