Christopher Priest.

zaltys13

Hello everyone,

I recentely picked up copies of The Affermation and The Prestige by this auther. Both from the SF Masterworks series. These are the first works of his that I have read.

The Affermation I read quickly and found unsatisfying, The Prestige I have taken my time with, maybe as a direct consequence of finding the former so moribund, and I think this is a great novel, can anyone send me on the right path?

From the two novels I have read it seems that Mr Priest likes the idea of The Unreliable Narrator, he is a trickster, his stories are clever, where should I go from here?

Your thoughts are most appreciated.:)

I've not had the opportunity to read it yet, but I've heard good things about Inverted World; the concept behind it, at least, is fascinating.

I love Christopher Priest's work, one of my favourite authors without a doubt. There's another thread discussing his work here: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/526201-christopher-priest.html

I really loved "The Affirmation" but where you should go next with his work depends on what sort of thing you are looking for. His earlier work is more recognisable as science fiction. "Inverted World" is a great classic exploring the implications of life operating under an altered geometry. If post apocalyptic is your bag, you might try "Fugue For A Darkening Island" that explores the collapse of society as Africa's social troubles spread to the British Isles. I also really enjoyed an early collection of more straight up science fiction: "Real-Time World".

His later work moved away from SF conventions. I really enjoyed "The Glamour" that has a fantastic twist at the end.

Talking about Priest has wetted my appetite for his work again and reminds me I must read something else by him soon.

Talking about Priest has wetted my appetite for his work again and reminds me I must read something else by him soon.

I know that Chris is progressing really well with a new novel, FE, so it won't be too long before there's even more Christopher Priest to enjoy! :)

For those who are going to Eastercon, Chris is attending, and will be at the NewCon Press/Solaris Rising 2 launch on Friday (6.00 pm).