Playing the bittern?

Talysia

Lady of Autumn
I'm up to The Lord of Chaos on my reread, and I keep seeing mentions of people playing the bittern.

Now, I've heard of a gittern, but I always thought that a bittern was a type of bird - either that, or the name of a steam locomotive or a type of salt. I've both googled it and checked Wiki, and they say pretty much the same, as does my rather ancient dictionary. Is it real, fictional, or has Jordan got the word wrong?

From what I can find on the internet, which isn't a lot, it could be a type of Turkish Horn . . . . Otherwise I'm stumped. There are a few sites referencing stringed instruments in relation to the Bittern.

I have a fair knowledge of obscure musical instruments and the h=name rings loads of bells in my head; but I can't quite place it.

It's definitely made me wonder what the bittern looks like, in this case. There was a mention of a 12-string bittern in one of the Lord of Chaos chapters I just read, but other than that, I don't remember any other descriptions.

Thanks for replying, though.:)

Is it real, fictional, or has Jordan got the word wrong?
Blasphemy! :D My writing God cannot have got it wrong. He would have known precisely the word he wanted to use, with the sounds he wanted it to have.

I quite like it when an author takes a word we know and changes it slightly to make something different...

Anywhoo. Been away, so I couldn't reply to this. But, I always thought it was like a lute, too, yet I don't know why. Anyway, the WoT Wiki says this:

"bittern (BIHT-tehrn): A musical instrument that may have six, nine, or twelve strings, and is held flat on the knees and played by plucking or strumming."

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/The_Dragon_Reborn/Glossary

I'm up to book six as well, Taly - wonderful! And the day you posted this, I just read chapter 9 - Mat's POV - where he mentions a bittern. :D

Lol! It makes sense that it's a fictional type of lute, though seeing the word used in that context feels a bit odd. I guess I'm too used to using the word as the name of a bird. I guess I've watched too many nature programmes.:eek: Thanks for the link - I haven't used that site before, and I'll definitely be having a look through it.

And what a coincidence! Glad you're enjoying the series so far, Leisha. Nearly halfway there, and still with a lot of surprises still to come.:)

And, as I keep discovering, a lot of "I knew that would happen!!!" moments to come. ;) Anything that I think is so shocking it can't happen, I now expect it to do so - and I seem to be right! I'm desperately waiting for Egwene to become the new Amyrlin Seat. I just know it will happen!!!

Whether I will be wrong is another matter, however.... :eek::D:eek:

I'm up to book 11 now on my reread, and I'm still finding things I hadn't noticed (like the bitterns - it didn't register as odd until now). There are so many small things that I now know hint at much bigger storylines later on in the series. Including one very important sentence still to come.;)

Looking back, there was quite a few things I did guess correctly, but some I didn't guess at all!:)