Let's talk about sex...

If a sci fi book started with sex would you

• Total voters

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
I think it's time we did. Really. :)

Anyhow, those who have read my stuff might not be terribly surprised at this question, but I class myself as a sci fi writer (of sorts) but mostly write human stories in a sci fi setting. So, close in to characters, and not so much world building and cool tech.

So my question is (and it's pertinent to my current WIP so please be honest): if a sci fi book (and this one is, actually, much more sci fiey than usual in setting) started with a scene which led up to one -- two actually -- sex scenes within the first 4000 words would you (see poll.)

If you could give some idea what genre you usually like, that would be cool. Ty.

*ps Mouse, keep it clean. :D

Hey! :p

(I uh, may have logged in especially for this thread)

I can't vote for any of those options because so much would depend on how the scenes are written -- how graphic, for instance, and how gratuitous they seemed to be. (They might be vitally important to the plot later, but how would I know?)

I can say that I wouldn't vote for liking the book better because of them. I'm only interested in learning anything about a character's sex life if I already like them and have some emotional investment in their relationships. Even then, I'd be happier if most of it was left to my imagination.

What a dirty mind you have, Mouse!

There wasn't an option I liked. I'm not that into sex (in books), much preferring violence. However, provided it didn't go on for ages I'd probably continue on.

I voted that I would not blink too much and continue but I agree with Theresa, if it was graphic just to be graphic I would probably put it down. I am not a prude by any stretch but unless it has value I prefer the sex scenes to be fairly clean. I guess I just don't have an interest in reading 50 Shades of Tremlock III but if a space opera or something had a sex scene I am ok with it.

I set up the poll, TE, mainly to keep it fun as we've had some heavy, heavy threads recently, but am interested in opinions mostly.

It isn't gratuitous, and is central to the plot -- it is the action that drives a lot of what happened in the book. I am trying for not too graphic and if I can do it gracefully will fade out (it isn't straightforward as one scene leads to the other in the same pov). It isn't there for titilation, if that makes sense, but it is in close character voice.

We have about 3500 build up to the scene, btw, which might well extend on further drafts.

It depends on how graphic the sex description is, and how long it goes on for :)

I'm a science fiction person, although I happily read sci-fi light, science fantasy and even (whisper it) fantasy. ;)
Fact is, I'm a grown-up. Sex happens. Not including it can be unrealistic.

So, 50 Shades of the Solar System? :p

I went with read on, but have to echo the others. I think the main problem with sex scenes early on is the lack of attachment we feel to the characters, since they're mostly still strangers within the first 10k. So then I'd have to ask myself, is this gratuitous? Especially if it was graphic. Of course I have faith that you're a much subtler writer than that and there would be an underlying reason for the scenes. That's the key for me - knowing that there was a reason for it being there, so the sex would have to either show me a) something wasn't right, so spur me to keep reading and find out or b) that this was somehow incredibly different/meaningful and would have a bearing on the rest of the book (or at least the immediate scenes).

edited to add: books I like usually have sex scenes in. I tend to think of ones that don't as being deliberately obscure, like I just read one (ok it was a romance)...that cut all the sex scenes to black with a bunch of flowery language about kissing and I'm just :rolleyes: What's the point? Everyone knows what's going on. Don't like sex, don't read romance! /rant

Last edited:
Sex is important. It is mechanism that has defined us as a species; we reproduce, therefore we are. For science fiction to ignore sex is ridiculous and SF presents opportunities to explore then nature of sex and sexuality in new ways, just as 1984 and The Dispossessed could create political thought experiments that you can't address in real-world fiction. To start a book with a sexual encounter is a bold statement of intent and is likely to grab the reader's attention.

People are very vocal about how much they hate bad sex in books, but it's the same rule as any plot device; if it's gratuitous and badly-written, you shouldn't have done it. You might start a novel with a gratuitously gory murder: anyone that would be offended by such a thing might stop reading, but the reader who continues is going to be gripped; you've shown them early on what the stakes are and you've made a truly fearsome villain.

Right. OK. As it looks like I'm the only perv... I would say what I did because I know the author would be springs, therefore, I know it would be decent and I'd like the characters. I'd be more inclined to the answer everyone else has given so far if it was an author I was new to.

You are very lovely, Mouse. Incidentally, I would have been leaning to your answer if it weren't my poll -- if it was gently done, I'd be intrigued (i think). But I think execution is the key looking at this.... The poor betas. :D

Damnit. Springs, I have a witty riposte but I fear it wouldn't be considered family friendly :p

I've been beta reading erotic romance in its various forms for three years so to be honest not much shocks me. At present it is a menage a trois with a variety of were folk.

If it is a heterosexual or lesbian scene it wouldn't bother me but I am more likely to skip the really mucky bits. I have however discovered a taste for gay erotic romance so write a great sex scene with two men
and you may have me gripped to my fluffy slippers and PJs until it is finished.

Right. OK. As it looks like I'm the only perv... I would say what I did because I know the author would be springs, therefore, I know it would be decent and I'd like the characters.

Don't get me wrong, if it's exquisitely written grot I will happily read on. Sex is just another form of interaction. Just like fighting, talking, standing around watching one another, etc. You could open a chapter with any of those things. A good writer could make any of those compelling, a bad one can make any of them tedious.

Come to think of it, two characters having a swordfight as an opening would pose exactly the same problem (the reader isn't emotionally involved) but at the same time it could pose a question: 'why are these people doing this to each other?' If the writer can make me care about what the answer is, i'll read on.

lol, how long is for ages?

Got me wondering what the record is for the longest sex scene in a book XD

The appropriately titled 'Endless Love' by Scott Spencer has one thats 45 pages long, according to google. Paperback pages, i'd guess.

I actually like sex in books if they are subtle and they don't go into much detail while defining things. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea to place it at the start. I know I'd be interested but it could also put off a lot of people.

At least the title gives a big hint as to what might be contained within.

By the way, is the sex at the start of Springs' book normal sex, or more, er, interesting?