Vikings (TV series)

How do I do the spoiler thingy again? Want to get in on the party :)

In the quick reply panel, next to smiley face is a button that shows three dots. It gives you an option to do a spoiler. It'll ask if you want to title it, which you don't have to, but afterwards as you click through, you'll get an option to write within spoiler brackets. That will show to the people as a spoiler button, when you post.

That was the best episode of the season. I really enjoyed King Olav's description of Ragnarok and his speech during the battle. Poor old King Harald is really a sucker for unattainable beautiful women. The only reason he saves Bjorn is because Gunnhild is looking on. Or that is my reading of it. And all he gets is a knife in the chest for a reward. Harald the Luckless is what he should be called. Still my favourite character of the last few seasons.

Ivarr escapes. Historically he was supposed to be the founder of the Viking kingdom of Dublin but who knows where this show is going. He was also supposed to bethe leader of the The Great Heathen Army that pillaged Wessex during Alfred's reign, along with Ubbe, Guthrum and Halfdan. Will we get to see some of that now that Ubbe is back in Kattegat. His renouncing of his new Christian faith last week does not bode well for his alliance with Alfred.

Overall I would give Season 5 a B - grade. Mainly for spending too long on Ivarr, in Iceland and a rather silly Wessex storyline./SPOILER]

How do I do the spoiler thingy again? Want to get in on the party :)
1548992892700.png

Last edited:
Last episode was fun overall.
I agree with a lot of the comments above. Bjorn was exceptionally lucky to win the battle due to Ivar having angered his wife days beforehand and therefore giving Bjorn a great tip. I was hoping the next season would focus on a battle vs Harald rather than more with Ivar. Though the seasons are so long that may well happen for some episodes. Though King Harald should live on beyond the timeline of this show.

So, the next season is about to start here tonight in a few minutes. I'm beginning to debate whether or not I want to spend the time. It was good and interesting, then lost my attention, and then you know how it goes... you watch because you have so much time invested you want to get to the end. But, some of these series drag on so long and become so similar from season to season, it makes me wonder if there might be better things to do (like that's really an 'if').

Anywho, I'll see how tonight is... then I'll see. :unsure:

K2

So, the next season is about to start here tonight in a few minutes. I'm beginning to debate whether or not I want to spend the time. It was good and interesting, then lost my attention, and then you know how it goes... you watch because you have so much time invested you want to get to the end. But, some of these series drag on so long and become so similar from season to season, it makes me wonder if there might be better things to do (like that's really an 'if').

Anywho, I'll see how tonight is... then I'll see. :unsure:

K2
I had no idea when the final season was going to start. Thanks. The DVR has been set. (y)

JCfLTb5.jpg

Ivar made it all the way to China! I would have never guessed it been the case, but it kind of fits the picture as they have found graves of tall, Nordic types at Himalayan mountains. The intriguing bit about those are the fact that among the blond haired individuals were some of the ginger people, pointing out to the possibility that the Celts might have also have made it over there as well. Only this case, Ivar made his way to Ukraine, and became an Igor for the local king.

I think he's much better in the role of an advisor than holding the reins of power. On the other hand, Björn also has a problem with the same thing. Maybe the biggest trouble is that he doesn't have advisors, as Ragnar is in Valhalla and Lagatha is the next. In fact, so far, all of them have had to climb mountains of trouble in their times, so in that way Björn is no different. He just need to understand that he cannot be a king and the government at the same time. No man can rule everything.

It is an impossible task, but there also lies the problem as who to choose, what place they get, and how to power is handed down to the next generation. Maybe that's why Shakespeare like to write about the Danish courts and their ghosts. There are certainly a lot of them wandering around the Scandinavia. But it surprised me that they brought in the Russian Vikings.

I cannot recall ever reading about them, as I always assumed that those who rode down the river Volga to raid Persia were Nordics, and not Russians. Maybe the intriguing bit is that our cultural heritage fights against that thing and it might be an ancient reason why we have fought them so long time.

While they didn't showed England or France in this episode, can we start to assume that they are going to move towards the period of Norman conquests and the writing of the Magna Carte?

I've really missed this show!
The episode was quick to remind us that the era was one of incredible violence. Ivar's henchman was tortured and literally torn apart for information he could not provide.
In contrast, the hot air balloon ride was a hoot. Ivar is far from divine, but he certainly leads a charmed life.
Somehow, I don't think Lagertha is going to be allowed to indulge her longing for the past and return to simple farm life. I noticed that she didn't bury her sword very deeply.

I've really missed this show!

Wait, there's more. It was a double episode. I just learned about it this morning.

Somehow, I don't think Lagertha is going to be allowed to indulge her longing for the past and return to simple farm life. I noticed that she didn't bury her sword very deeply.

Historically they would have thrown it at water, to be done with it completely. So, I think you are right.

Wait, there's more. It was a double episode. I just learned about it this morning.

Historically they would have thrown it at water, to be done with it completely. So, I think you are right.
I noticed. They put out the first three episodes of the season here. I've only watched the first.

A26tNQW.jpg

Happy Finnish Independence day. We have been putting up our neighbors behavior for a long time and fought more wars then we would like to admit. But what you see in the small screen is what usually happens. The cold North is a harsh place and the acts causing misery is all too common. It's not just about nine months of cold and darkness, because there are awfully lot of things that becomes tragedies.

It's just the way how the life is in Scandinavia. You see outside the polished picture about everything being fine, but underneath all that glitter and smiles are dark things. Some people cannot hack that the betrayal plays in a major role. With the neighbor it might as well be in the main role, as it's the way of life.

I don't really know how far back in the history you'll have to go to get at the roots of all things, but for our Igor, the future doesn't look rosy. He might think he's in safe at the Prophet's court, but the truth is he has no friends. Only enemies. Another truth is Ivar might like being in that place, as he might even feel homey for being among a psychopath. Maybe that's why Prophet saved him and didn't execute him in the way he did to Ivar's friend.

Intriguing bit is that like in the real life, most of the Russians were shocked by the brutality, but not so much that they would have panicked. It was as if it was a common place to have a mass murder among the celebrations. It is intriguing to think that it happened over the boy, destined to become Emperor. It has never been a good place to be in Russian history. Too many of them died, or were murdered, as it is a tradition.

With them you'll have to always be strong and show your strengths, while expecting to get a knife in the back.

Björn could never navigate that sort of world, so it's good to see Igor in his element.

The question about Harald, Björn made the right decision by going for help, but in diplomacy wise he should go to see the other king as well, or at least find out about his side.

Three!!! Man, what is happening? What is surprising me is that they are showing the whole Eastern angle to the play.
I may be wrong about that. The third recording on my DVR is "Saga of Floki" or something like that. It might be just a character-centric recap, like they did with Lagertha a season or two back.

Reactions: ctg
After some fact checking, I was very surprised to find that the Rus' People were not just some fantastic tale to advance the story. Interesting... but, I'm still debating watching. It's a well executed show and all that, and I get how to each of us our community is the center of the world, but it's becoming a little tiring how everyone in the world wants Kattegat.

K2

Wow! Apparently blood is thinner than psychopathy in the Vikings family eastern branch. I guess Kiev is not the original City of Brotherly Love.
I can't imagine for a moment that Oleg has a slightest interest in restoring Ivar's rule over Kattegat. Maybe Oleg just needs a fresh group of victims to torture and slaughter.
I wonder why Ivar felt a need to entertain Igor with lame magic tricks. I'm also wondering how Igor ends up becoming Dr. Frankenstein's faithful lab assistant. ;)

I can't imagine for a moment that Oleg has a slightest interest in restoring Ivar's rule over Kattegat. Maybe Oleg just needs a fresh group of victims to torture and slaughter.
I wonder why Ivar felt a need to entertain Igor with lame magic tricks. I'm also wondering how Igor ends up becoming Dr. Frankenstein's faithful lab assistant. ;)

It would certainly be a turn of events if Ivar overturned the Russian Vikings and started raiding the Scandinavia. But in the regards of the parlor tricks, I think it's related to his role as a false god. He cannot produce the real thing, so it has to be parlor tricks.

Saga of Floki
This turns out to be more of a recap of Season 5 -- mixed with promotions for the final season.
Floki may have been given a fraction more screen time here than other central characters. It did make wonder if insanity is a help or a hindrance for a visionary attempting to form a new, improved society. The less than ideal climatic conditions of Floki's promised paradise didn't improve his odds of success.
This should have been run before History launched season 6. Maybe it ran, but I missed it.

The first 2 episodes were good. I like Oleg's character. He and Ivar are two peas in a pod. Time and distances are a bit of problem similar to other shows of this ilk. Oleg and Ivar must teleported from Kiev to Novgorod.

I wonder will they stay faithful to history with Igor. Interestingly there are some theories that Askold was actually Hvitserk or a son of Hvitserk.

I think they will focus on russia first and then swing back to Iceland and the conquest of "the wineland."