Vikings (TV series)

Did anyone find Ivar pulling faces during the child birth funny? I was laughing at them, while I shed a tear for Floki losing his face. I surely thought he was going to use the use to bang the offenders head in, instead of giving him the talk

Harald's history of setting his romantic sights on women out of his league seems likely to remain unbroken.

Poor Harald. He may be a king, but he's just unlucky at love.

Ivar, Ivar, Ivar.
This god claims to want his people to love him, and yet he burns them alive for a little statue vandalism? With two enemy armies heading his way, he isn't exactly winning the hearts and minds of his own troops. Ivar's personal goon squad isn't going to do him much good when Bjorn, King Olaf and Hvitserk show up.
Hvitserk is going to be extremely outraged (although he should not be overly surprised) when he learns of Thora's fate at Ivar's hand,

Peter Franzten is the best thing as King Harald in this show these days. I love the way his emotions play across his face as he is forever thwarted in love.

This was a particularly good episode in an overall dull season. With Steven Berkoff as King Olaf what was there not to like :) I want more time with Ubbe and Torvi, King Harald, Hvitsiark and less time with Floki, no time with Alfred, his character is awful and nothing at all of Ivarr.

I want more time with Ubbe and Torvi, King Harald, Hvitsiark and less time with Floki, no time with Alfred, his character is awful and nothing at all of Ivarr
So many characters could have stepped into the central spotlight for Ragnar -- Bjorn, Lagertha, even Floki. Putting Crazy Ivar up front may have seemed topical in today's world to the showrunners, but that move could be key in the downhill path Vikings seems to be taking.

Peter Franzten is the best thing as King Harald in this show these days. I love the way his emotions play across his face as he is forever thwarted in love.

I wish you'd understand Finnish so that you could enjoy his other productions, but I also know how tall order that wish is to become reality.

Yeah, early in season 5 Ivar's rise was exciting at times. Second half of the season he has been quite tiresome. Though not as much as the Iceland storyline. It seems we are building towards another big battle at least.
Svalbard is right that Olaf was entertaining, as is is Harald still.

Yleensäkin kaikki ihmiset, jopa Suomalaiset sunnuntaiaamun horkassa, kun on kaikki paikat niin kohmeessa.
Usually all the people, even the Finns, are in the morning of Sunday morning, when there are all places so cramped?
Oops! You're correct. Even online translators don't understand Finnish. :unsure:

Reactions: ctg
So many characters could have stepped into the central spotlight for Ragnar -- Bjorn, Lagertha, even Floki. Putting Crazy Ivar up front may have seemed topical in today's world to the showrunners, but that move could be key in the downhill path Vikings seems to be taking.

Ivar is simply the character that you love to hate.

They could have made Ivar a more nuanced figure. We have only seen the inner conflict in him on a few occasions most notably at the ending of the last episode. Apart from that his actions are those of a pantomine villain.

5.19 What Happens in the Cave
...stays in the cave?
Have we really seen the end of Floki? (and the end of the tedious Iceland storyline?) I counted Floki dead after his catastrophic ladder-equipped longboat attack on Paris, but he is remarkably resilient,
How ultra-ironic would it be if Floki is entombed with the symbol of the religion he so hated in a cave he thought would lead him to his own gods? (Did he discover the hiding place the Knights Templar had chosen for the Holy Grail? ;))
For such a forceful character, Queen Judith got a minimal death scene. Last week, she announced she was dying; this week, she checks out with nothing more than long exhalation -- not even a death rattle. Lagertha got the queen's final words of wisdom for King Alfred -- become great.
The death match between Ubbe and King Frodo was epic. The rivalry between Bjorn and King Harald looked like it was going the same way until Gunnhild stepped in and ended their fight with a cuff to Bjorn's head. and told them both to behave until after they had conquered Kattegat. :lol:
Also funny was Bjorn's casual inquiry of Hvitserk as to where he was going with such a large army. The brothers' alliance was predictable, but I still wonder if the flip-flopping King Olaf will side with them or Ivar when they march on Kattegat. At least Ivar should still be under the impression that they will be fighting for him and take no defensive action.

Have we really seen the end of Floki? (and the end of the tedious Iceland storyline?) I counted Floki dead after his catastrophic ladder-equipped longboat attack on Paris, but he is remarkably resilient,

How ultra-ironic would it be if Floki is entombed with the symbol of the religion he so hated in a cave he thought would lead him to his own gods? (Did he discover the hiding place the Knights Templar had chosen for the Holy Grail? ;))

Your description is very accurate and there is no easy explanation for him finding a cross deep within the Earth, but it's hard to believe that he would last the pyroclastic flow or to be within the volcanic mountain, probably in a shaft with lava bubbling at the bottom and live through it going alive.

Also the cup he found doesn't fit the grail description. It was too rich in detail and showed almost no patina.

The death match between Ubbe and King Frodo was epic. The rivalry between Bjorn and King Harald looked like it was going the same way until Gunnhild stepped in and ended their fight with a cuff to Bjorn's head. and told them both to behave until after they had conquered Kattegat. :lol:

Well, Brunhilda hasn't taken sh*t from anyone. Least from the gods. So, putting herself in between the blades and then giving a good bollocking on both lover was right. I laughed my ass off on the scene, and then on the decision, "maybe we shouldn't fight."

It's just ever it's going to be very hard for Harald to now act properly when he's in need. There's not going to be a good fight, when all he can think is shagging the lady or stabbing Björn so that he can have sex.
The brothers' alliance was predictable, but I still wonder if the flip-flopping King Olaf will side with them or Ivar when they march on Kattegat.

Don't be afraid Ivar hasn't been in Olaf sauna. Olaf is not going to turn. As soon as he sees Ivar's statues and hears tales from the citizens he will be confirm. Buddha won't disappoint.

H6TPVeB.jpg

All hail King Björn!

It has been a long time making but finally Björn isn't without a kingdom. Although I don't think he ever believed that he would reach the point, where the people would call him as a King. It's even stranger custom that one would be crowned after a battle, but I guess that's how it happened.

We are just so custom these days that the Royalties don't change after clashes. We are even more custom that those crownheads don't participate in the breakthrough battles, because of their sensitive status. Yet, back in the day, you'd hardly have a conflict without some noble taking part into swinging swords, or barking orders at the barriers.

I guess war changes. It certainly isn't like that at modern times. Vikings are lucky that they didn't invent gun powder or ventured far enough into the east to steal it from the Chinese, because that sort of war would have terrible. No walls could have stopped their advance, and our world would look certainly different.

Maybe it is a luck that we have such a low birthrates, because if the North had been full of people, the world would have changed more quickly. Can you imagine what North America would look like after the Viking invasion?

I certainly cannot.

I am extremely disappointed that Ivar escaped. I'd hoped for some new conflict in the final season.

When you lose your powerbase, how do you build up from it? Most of the people in Norway, Sweden and Denmark would have heard about Ivar the snake, and they would recognise him through his limping. He would have to stay in the shadows, out from sight of anyone who would recognise. It is not an ideal position for recruiting, but it is ideal if you can make yourself to be a criminal mastermind.

In that way you might get enough of men, especially skilled in assassinations, but it would be very hard to push yourself up and back to be a god at Kattagat. Why would those people elect him to be their leader again?

I couldn't believe that Hvitrserk, especially after learning of Flora's (Thora?) fate, didn't tear all of Kattegat apart until he found Ivar and executed what he believes is his destiny.
It was also lamentable that Freydis did not live to see Ivar die, which is bound to happen eventually. Apparently she had a death wish, or she would not have remained in Kattegat after her betrayal. The strangulation scene went on too long, for my tastes.
Speaking of secret back doors, how could a mind capable of conceiving a surprise second gate
fail to post at least one guard on such a weak spot in the defenses? Further proof that Ivar is not the military tactical genius he thinks he is.

Last edited:
It was also lamentable that Freydis did not live to see Ivar die, which is bound to happen eventually. Apparently she had a death wish, or she would not have remained in Kattegat after her betrayal.

Hell hath no fury over woman scorned... you must have heard that phrase before. That is how I see it. Ivar killed their son and she could not forgive. She knew what she was doing when she went into the opposition camp. She knew the risk and she was willing to take it for a revenge.

Speaking of secret back doors, how could a mind capable of conceiving a surprise second gate fail to post at least one guard on such a weak spot in the defenses? Further proof that Ivar is not the military tactical genius he thinks he is.

Freydis said: "Ivar built it for himself."

What I don't understand is why Björn had not learned from the Paris assault? They went into Kattagat without much of plan, completely believing that they could crash through the gates and just take it. Why is that we had lost the knowledge of how to build warmachines, like ballistas and catapults?

If it had not been that secret exit, they would have lost, because by the time Björn was retreating he had lost his faith, and leader without a faith is no winner. He should had shown more fury, now his victory is a bit lessen as he was willing to give up. Ivar wanted to fight, but he lost all his men, and he saw that the gamble was too more.

He could have taken Björn in 1vs1 but not all of them.

How do I do the spoiler thingy again? Want to get in on the party :)