keeping track of ideas

I am a bad writer. I don't really do anything! I have a notebook by my bed to scribble stuff in so I don't forget it come morning, but that's it. Because this notebook's upstairs and I do my writing downstairs, I usually don't bother going up to get it to see what I've written in it anyway.

Oh, one thing I do do, which might help (if you're lazy like me and don't like looking in lots of different places), is write notes at the end of the actual doc you're writing your WiP in.

For general stuff, background etc I have an imaginatively titled "Notes" file. For specifics, I make red notes on each printed chapter and/or in my draft doc on the computer. I try to transfer rough notes to at least one of these asap. I also make full use of hyperlinks to link items in my Notes file to any Research notes or web sites.

Whatever works for you.

Mouse, I do that. I do it with To Do Lists (one for a specific chapter and one for the whole story for more complex changes), and for first drafts if there's something I want to remember for later.