Meeting Richard Morgan at Picocon, London.

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
Just a quick post to say that I met Richard Morgan at the weekend. He was guest of honour at Imperial College's convension, Picocon.

If you missed it, na-na na-na na.

Actually, it felt bizarre. Richard did a reading, then a Q/A session in a lecture theatre, then signings. He started chatting to me and a small group as I handed him my books. Twenty minutes later we were still chatting, and he told us all to take seats for goodness sake. After more than hour, we were still chatting.

Later in the afternoon, I joined a group that included Richard Morgan, Steph Swainston and Anne Lyle. Another hour or so chatting.

All this was amazing. A day I'll never forget. The only downside being that I was way too star struck around Richard Morgan. For me, as an aspiring writer, the guy is an idol. My brain turned to pickled turnip and my tongue into bloated rubber. On my way home yesterday, and today, there have been a few cringe moments (i.e., "Grrrr. I wish I had said this or that. I wish I damn well hadn't said the other. F****** idiot!").

Coragem.

Mate, to me it sounds like Mister Morgan liked you or otherwise he would not have continued conversing with you all that time. Seriously. He got three chances to move away from you and yet, by according to your words, you were chatting. So don't worry, you did fine.

First convention, then? :)

I was at Easteron 2012, but this was totally different – and better. Eastercon was rammed and intense, much less easy to chill and talk.

Actually, for now I prefer to avoid too many cons. Being around great writers only gets me feeling slightly tense and pressured, too eager to reach their level. For now it's better for me to forget cons and just stay utterly focussed on "living" my own writing. So much work to do, so much to learn, before I'll really feel comfortable rubbing shoulders with RM, SS, and AL.

Coragem.

I've always found Richard to be a lovely chap. Spent my final few hours on Saturday evening at Picocon around a table in the back bar with Richard, Peter F Hamilton, Paul Cornell, Steph Swainston, Jaine Fenn, Farah Mendlesohn and others; though most of that time was spent nattering with Peter, Jaine, and Paul (Richard being at the far end of the table).

At the end of the day, writers are only human... Well, most of us, at any rate. :rolleyes: