travel between alternate realities book or short story

bleve97

Way back when I was a kid 20+ years ago I read a lot of sci fi ... One story I would love to find again involved people trapped and traveling between alternate realities by going down a tunnel with doors/portals that opened into parallel worlds that were sometimes close to the 'real' earth, with people trying to find their way home, some settling on worlds that were close enough. I can't remember much more than that, it sounds kinda Philip K Dick-ish, but I read a lot of Asimov as a kid ...

Any ideas?

Damn that is ringing bells. Do they have to uncap the portals? It's not just a question of opening a door, it takes lots of effort to open them? And there are bad guys (why do I think Mongol hordes?) ranging up and down the tunnel too?

Damn that is ringing bells. Do they have to uncap the portals? It's not just a question of opening a door, it takes lots of effort to open them? And there are bad guys (why do I think Mongol hordes?) ranging up and down the tunnel too?

I think so, sounds familiar. I think a lot of it was the journey down the tunnel, which was very difficult.

It could be, I'll need to have a look. It's 1985, which is about the right time.

Back