Correspondences

nerd literature

Hey all I don't know if this has been proposed before but I thought I might throw it out there. February is letter writing month and since HPL was a devotee of the hand written letter I thought it might be fun to get a group together to write letters. Is this crazy? If anyone would like to exchange letters let me know and I will PM my address.

Best, Rob

Can be cool.
And I think that we use way too much internet and new technologies. Better write a good old fashion handwrite letter !

While I certainly enjoy writing letters, it has been a very long time since I last wrote a holograph letter... probably some years, in fact. Notes, yes; and I do my manuscripts that way as well... but my handwriting is so atrocious (always has been) that people have a great deal of trouble deciphering what it is I've written. (HPL once referred to his as cacography. I think I've got him beat by a fair distance....)

Then there's the problem of postage, especially internationally. While for some this isn't a problem, even sending a letter around the world (which I've done) gets a tad pricey. So I don't know whether the scheme is feasible or not.

However... I'd say go ahead and give it a try. You never know. And I might be able to join in at some point myself, which would be nice (for me, if not for the recipient....:rolleyes:)

I used to live for my correspondence, especially in the 1970's, when I became an obsessed Lovecraft fanboy and did things so as to emulate HPL. I would write up to ten letters a day, and some of them were excessively lengthy. When S. T. Joshi finally demanded I get email so that he could work with me as my editor on my collections, I vowed that I would still continue to write letters. But that didn't happen. And now I find it extremely difficult to find the motivation.

I used to curse the Internet because of this. "You've stopped people from writing each other, you fiend!" But, when I think of it, I am just as, if not more, communicative online that I have ever been, doing my blogs, my videos, responding in forums, reviewing at Amazon. It's the same kind of activity, but through a different medium. I've grown quite fond of it. For a crippled old queen who hates to leave home, having to go to the post office is an ordeal--but coming here is so easy, and quite rewarding.

Back