The Belgariad/Malloreon, Prefer Movies or Series?

The Belgariad/Malloreon, Prefer Movies or Series?

• Movies

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Series

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

Dave_qp

Hi all

Just interested in others opinions :D

After seeing Game of Thrones, I think I'd like to see The Belgariad and The Malloreon series of books turned into an HBO series rather than films

I think a series would be able to tell the story more fully (100 hours worth of story!)

If the same production values were given to The Belgariad/Malloreon as Game of Thrones it would be awesome

The only problem would be waiting the 10 years for the stories end ;)

I would think a series would work better as there are so many books but I have not read the Belgariad or Mallorean, are they any good? I did read The Diamond Throne and it wasn't bad.

For me the books are excellent, I have read them main books (10 of them) twice and then there are Polgara the Sorceress that I have read 3 times and Belgarath the Sorcerer that I have read twice and am reading again now

I would have to go with an eight part mini-series 90% CGI with live action stills overpainted by hand combined with models dropped into a series of computer generated still life locations based upon real world photographs. If you used a series of colourized black and white stills done in monotone effects, This would efforce the sense of otherness that would let you slide into the story. If you did live action you would run the risk of creating another 'dungeons and dragons' ( too halloween/ costume partyish) like pretty postcard film. If you did live action with totally CGI then you end up another 'skycaptian and the world of tomorow' ( too misty, nothing to make you think this is real world). You need a sort of seasoning of all these technigues to give enough visual interest without either pasimony or overgenerousity with any given method queering up the mix... sort of like dividing up murgos at the attack of the column of murgos upon Ce' Nedra's Army upon the plains of misrak ac thull.
I would like to see peter jackson's team or james cameron's team try this one. Pixar is a little light in the loafers for this kind of thing.

I liked the Belgariad. The Mallorean was not as good.

The problem with an epic such as Belgariad is that you'd have to cut a lot out of the books to make a single movie or even a series of movies such as Harry Potter. An HBO-like series would be much better

Not so much as you might think. A lot of the little scenes of a brief conversation about the weather with a cutting humorous jab at someone at the end doesn't really add that much to the story and so can be left out without much damage at all. When you're reading them you don't remember many of them anyway. You remember the big things.

I've been re-reading Belgarath and Polgara the last few weeks, and trying to see how they might work. I've sort of thought that they might work better as two part features. Though i'm not really sure where to split them. My first thought was that the end of Part one would be just beofre the beginning of the Battle of Vo Mimbre, since that leaves people on a cliffhanger... but then thats an awful lot of story to put into one part.

Peter Jackson could certainly do it, but I'd prefer a series to movies because there would be so much cut out to fit into movies. And though I haven't read the books for a few years, I'm pretty sure more than just a few conversations about the weather would have to be cut.

Hmmm. Now I'm also wondering about the Diamond Throne and the second series. Could they do justice to the Atans with sfx?

You're forgetting that a lot of a book is description. About the weather, the buildings, the landscape, peoples clothes, the people themselves, the way they say things, they way they enter a room, the way they leave a room, the way they attack someone with a sword, etc etc etc etc etc.
None of that gets described, it just gets seen. A few shots and the dialogue itself, and you taken care of a paragraph or two. You have half a page of that and about 30 seconds of screen time can take care of most of it.

Not as much would get cut as you think.

After the massacre of, 'The Hobbit,' (three films and the backstory changed out of all recognition) and, 'The Dark is Rising,' (Susan Cooper's book is brilliant, the film was sh*t), I wouldn't want to see either.

Frankly, I hate, 'Game of Thrones,' and couldn't care less what they do with it, but it would be too easy to turn something I actually like into a dumbed-down mess (like the company who wanted to film, 'Mort,' but leave Death out of it because American Audiences wouldn't be comfortable with the character).

Any director getting his grubby paws on the books should be flayed alive.

(like the company who wanted to film, 'Mort,' but leave Death out of it because American Audiences wouldn't be comfortable with the character).

You've got to be kidding . :confused:

Peter Jackson could certainly do it, but I'd prefer a series to movies because there would be so much cut out to fit into movies. And though I haven't read the books for a few years, I'm pretty sure more than just a few conversations about the weather would have to be cut.

Hmmm. Now I'm also wondering about the Diamond Throne and the second series. Could they do justice to the Atans with sfx?

I always think of a polynesian appearance for the Atan... don't think you'd really need to SFX them. They aren't actually giants. just tall humans

The Belgariad would work best as a tv series.