Discovered Authors 2013

GOLLUM

Hi all,

I know we are not that far into 2013 but for some of you there may already be new authors you have discovered, so please let us know.

Courtesy of J-Sun's previous 2012 Authors post following are links to the previous Discovered Authors yearly posts (including J-Sun's notes) for helpful reference and/or general interest.

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/536401-discovered-authors-2012-a.html2012
2007*
2006*
2005*

* restricted to new (not just "new to you") books, with 2006 and 2007 also not having the years in their titles.

All the books I've read so far in January have been new authors for me. I'm mostly a Fantasy reader, but the last few years I've been branching out into SF. Earlier this month I read the Robot series by Isaac Asimov. I'm definitely putting his Foundation series on my list for this year. I liked Among Thieves (Douglas Hulick ) enough to watch out for the sequel. Finally, I'm about halfway through The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. I think this is going to be one of my favorite reads this year. He reminds me a bit of a Steven Erikson/Mark Chadbourn cross. I may have to pick up some of his other books which are more historical fiction.

Hi all!

I'm too a fantasy reader (mostly) and I have liked Mary Hoffman's Stravaganza books. They were great and I just found out about Hoffman and her wonderful books! ;)
HAIDI

I'm reading my first Daniel Abraham book now, The Dragon's Path, and I have my first K.J. Parker book ,The Folding Knife, on the way.

So far for me in 2013:

Bernard Cornwell - read The Winter King. I originally wished it had more of King Arthur in it, but by the end I enjoyed it for the story it was.

Jacob Berkowitz - The Stardust Revolution
Caleb Scharf - Gravity's Engines
^ These two are nonfiction authors, but they were fantastic!

Completely new authors for me so far this year:

Roberto Bolano - bit of cheat that one since I started 2666 last year but only finished it this year. Loved it and will certainly be reading more of his.
Witold Gombrowicz - thanks to Gollum for this one. Read Ferdydurke and loved it. Will probably go on to read more of his, though I suspect this one was rather different to his other works.
Mary Shelley - Frankstein of course! I did really enjoy this book though I found the two hundred year old writing a little difficult at times.
Bruno Schulz - So far I have only read the first three stories in his collection The Street of Crocodiles. Beautifully lush, descriptive writing. Again my thanks to Gollum for this one.

I also have a number of other first time (for me) authors lined up for reading during this year. So should be interesting. Unlike Larry, no duds for me so far!

Currently reading Neal Asher's Gridlined, enjoying it a great deal and looking forward to more tales of Ian Cormac.

Joe Haldeman and John Scalzi are next up.

Completely new authors for me so far this year:

Roberto Bolano - bit of cheat that one since I started 2666 last year but only finished it this year. Loved it and will certainly be reading more of his.

BEST. NOVEL. EVER. The Third Reich is also an amazing book.

Only new author I've read since New Years is Lavie Tidhar (Osama). Still reading it, so verdict is conditional, but so far so good.

I'd been thinking of The Savage Detectives for my next Bolano, but no decision made yet. too many books and too little time...
As discussed I would go next with By Night in Chile before Savage Detectives...:)

It's also a novella. so it won't take that long to read...;)

You may be interested to know that I am going to include the little known classic novel The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (admittedly the film that was based on the book is fairly well known) in my review list for this year. The significance here is that its German author is B. Travern, an enigmatic figure whose real identity remains clouded in controversy to this day but more pointedly was Bolano's model for 'Archimboldi' in 2666. Wheels within wheels as they say...

Side note: I'm trying my best to write up the review for the German anthology this weekend and then target Gombrowicz next week.

Only new author I've read since New Years is Lavie Tidhar (Osama). Still reading it, so verdict is conditional, but so far so good.
I picked up a copy of Osama in January but with my current schedule won't get time to read it any time soon. Generally winners of the World Fantasy Award are of a good standard, so I'll be keen to read your thoughts.

It's also nice to see a few Bolano fans on the forums...:)

Gah, that discussion had completely slipped my (aging) mind, Gollum. And you're right I had decided to read that one next and then promptly forgotten about it. Actually that's one of things I'm finding useful about my recent membership of goodreads; the ability to create bookshelves of books you want to read and then, if you want to, ordering them into an intended reading order. Though I confdess there is a risk I'm overcommitting a little at them moment. :eek:

Don't worry on Ferdydurke, I figured you were still busy!

...I confess there is a risk I'm overcommitting a little at the moment. :eek:
You can't escape the natural order of things. Better to face up to the reality of being a bone fide bibliophile....:D

For more bite-size Bolano novellas I would recommend By Night In Chile or if that's hard to get hold of, another in Wandering Star. His first short story collection Last Evenings On Earth is also a possibility as it would allow you to skit between the collection and other books high on your TBR pile.

As with a lot of Bolano's work references are made to real (and imagined) authors in the Latin American canon, which for someone like myself who researches literary movements (and has a particularly passionate association with that canon) becomes an endless source of fascination (and continued exploration).

On order from AbeBooks already - carpe diem!
You mean By Night In Chile?

Savage detectives by the way in spite of the hype is not one of Bolano's better books IMO. Personally apart from the longer work 2666 I think he was better with shorter forms like novellas and short stories.

Yes, By Night in Chile is the one I have ordered. I was interested in Savage Detectives as Bolano himself apparently states that the narrator of 2666 was Arturo Belano one of the main characters in that book and also, I gather, an alter ego for himself.

And shouldn't you be asleep by now, Gollum? :D

Yes, By Night in Chile is the one I have ordered. I was interested in Savage Detectives as Bolano himself apparently states that the narrator of 2666 was Arturo Belano one of the main characters in that book and also, I gather, an alter ego for himself.

And shouldn't you be asleep by now, Gollum? :D
That's correct regarding Arturo Belano being also an allusion to the author's name as you allude to.

As I'm currently 'between jobs' it's not so much of an issue burning the night candle...but as it is 1.30am here I will now retire to my hyperbaric chamber for the evening and bid you a good day...:)

Pantomine, by Laura Lam is released now. Just got my copy from the Robot Trading Co. Mysterious circus, special powers, steampunk elements -- sounds very interesting.

My only "discovery" so far this year is Paul J. McAuley. Currently reading Child of the River, the first of the "Confluence" trilogy. Enjoying the exploration of ancient alien cultures. I have all three novels in the omnibus edition. I also have a copy of the Arthur C. Clarke award winner, Fairyland, for future reading.