Novella/Novel

fksogbetun

I need help locating a book i read years ago. I believe it was initially a short story that was extended to a novel. Theres a planet with a settlement colony that produces a commodity (I think it was some form of crystal) that was addicting and made users lose their drive. An investigator was sent to the planet to investigate a case of a child found cut up and he eventually discovers the other children cut up the child to make him become an adult (something to do with the rituals of the resident alien population). The investigator has the planet shut down to stop further production of the crystals and the children are sent off to ?prison.

The main part of the story involves one of the children as an adult who goes looking for the other children to help them find resolution (I think all the other children had died). Theres a subplot where he rescues an alien (some form of sand ?demon that was being transported illegaly) and releases it on the original settlement colony. He then learns that the children would have succeeded in the original plan of cutting up their friend if they had believed enough.

As an aside the resident alien population keeps the souls of ancestors in jars and the protagonist comes close to ending up in a jar himself!.

Weird story, but pretty well written. Any thoughts?

As an aside the resident alien population keeps the souls of ancestors in jars and the protagonist comes close to ending up in a jar himself!.

Weird story, but pretty well written. Any thoughts?
This extract of your memories is from The Conquerors Trilogy by Timothy Zahn but the rest doesn't match - think you may have bits of stories mixed up

This extract of your memories is from The Conquerors Trilogy by Timothy Zahn but the rest doesn't match - think you may have bits of stories mixed up
Some of the rest sounds like it comes from "All My Sins Remembered" by Joe Haldeman.