Crackpot theory: Aegon's true parentage

The Mummer's Dragon. I interpret it that the mummer is Varys, leaving it open that he still could be the son of Rheagar since Varys is clearly an actor of sorts with a very enigmatic motivation and plan.

He likely is a fake simply through merit of coming into play in such an artificial way by Varys and co. But what exactly is he, we can't hope to know just yet as we cant hope to know for certain since no prophecy is ever really all that clear and we are heavily relying on them here when we could just as easily interpret them otherwise.

There is the issue of Kevan admitting the possibility of Aegon being alive where he said that everyone just took Tywin's word for granted and nobody looked closely at the bodies. That leaves a slim possibility that he is real and well, Varys has no reason to really lie to Kevan as he is killing him anyway. Aegon could be a mummer's dragon in other ways than just a fake. He was created by Varys and he had danced his entire life as Varys played the tune and Varys still holds his strings. Dragons, fake and real, might be all the people coming there to claim the dragons like Quentyn or something yet to happen because in the prophecy given to Tyrion it says he is amidst it all and he is yet to really play the game.

There is also the question of whether or not mummer's dragon refers to Aegon since he never arrived to Meereen and Griffith might also not be Connington. It depends on dependability of Quaithe's prophecies and how she comes by them. If we postulate she could be wrong, then it can still refer to them, but if we postulate they are credible and so far we hadn't had any reason not to think them since we do take the west to go east prophecy to be true enough, then by virtue of not getting to Meereen, Aegon isn't mummer's dragon. And if we don't take them as truthful, then we can't really take her words about him being a mummer's dragon as certain either.

We don't know Aegon's true origins. We don't know ultimately where the loyalties of the Golden Company lie... But we do know that if he and they are successful, then he will reign as Aegon VI Targaryen. The Golden Company will gain great status. Their captains will probably be granted lands and titles. Their men will all gain knighthood. Maybe they fragment to pursue their indiviual goals, wealth, power, or retirement. Mayhaps the Golden Company remains as the king's elite order of knights. All I know is that Aegon will be proclaimed as Aegon VI to show the legitimacy of his rule... to show the return to normalcy... to avoid the appearance of a hostile takeover by outsiders. The captains of the GC may indeed be loyal to the Blackfyres. They may know (or have been told by Griff, Illyrio, and Varys) that Aegon is really a Blackfyre but they also know this is now their chance. They'll support a "Targaryen", but wink to each other.

One other thing, I cannot believe Griff knows. I think he's buying whatever Illyrio and Varys are selling. Truth or fiction, he's convinced Young Griff is Aegon VI. And no one will ever tell Aegon differently... like Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen he'll believe his claim is legitimate.

Regarding the visions in the House of Undying... Pyat Pree told Dany she'd see things that are, that will be, and that might have been. I assume her vision of Rhaego is the last.

Maelys the Monstrous was killed during the War of the NinePenny Kings, so how many of the current Golden Company members will actually have any loyalty to the Blackfyres? Most of them probably wouldn't care if they were following a Targaryen or Blackfyre, so long as they got lands/ titles/ GOLD!! Only a few members of the leadership (Blackheart, Illyrio, Varys {?}) would know or care about the difference, or about any hidden agenda. Connington would have to be kept ignorant as well.

World of Ice and Fire says Maelys killed his cousin Daemon to assume control of the GC. Couple of questions pop-up.

1) did Daemon have any other siblings? If so, would they have fled from the new Maelys controlled GC? Maybe continuing the Blackfyre line thru the female side, leading to Aegon? (Illyrios wife ??)
2) Daemon I Blackfyre had 7 sons. The twins Aegon/ Aemon were killed at Red Grass Field, Daemon II was captured/ died, Gaemon (?) was captured/ killed, along with Aenys (?)( betrayed by Bloodraven at the Great Council). That's only 5 sons. So what happened to the 6th and7th sons?

George Martin has gone to a great deal of effort in his Egg and Dunk stories, as well as World of Ice and Fire to "flesh" out the Blackfyres backstory. This backstory would fit nicely with the hints/ insinuations in regards to Vary's, Illyrio and Aegon (pretender), connecting them to the Blackfyres/ Golden Company.

More I read these, more it convinces me, Aegon is a Blackfyre pretender. Which would make him the Mummers Dragon from the prophecy. False dragon!

Maybe, except a Blackfyre is technically still a dragon. i'd prefer Aegon to be just a fake. Though i suppose he'll end up being a Blackfyre to make sense of it all

True enough, lol!
However, everyone refers to "dragons" as being Targaryens. So a Blackfyre dragon would be a fake Targeryen.

Next question is, would a fake or Mummers Dragon still be able to be a dragon rider. One of the three heads of the dragon?

Well yeah, during the civil war between the black and green dragons tehre where several dragonriders who weren't Targaryen or Velaryon.

Weren't they bastards, or men of "unknown" lineage from the island of Dragonstone?

Would be interesting to know if only someone with Valyrian "blood" can ride a dragon. Even though there is still a lot of Valyrian "blood" around.

i know they where called dragonseeds, but is it confirmed then that they where one and all offspring of Targaryens in some way?

Guess i'd prefer the thought that anyone with the right approach can ride a dragon. Still plenty of people besides those of Targaryen descendancy should be able to ride a dragon. I mean before the doom their where other valyrian families that rode dragons. Volatis's triarch are descendants of Valyrians. Though probably not of dragonrider families.

That said, Martin has made it clear that having a drop of dragon blood in you is more than helpful when it comes to being friendly with actual dragons.

Now when it comes to dragon riders, and regarding the question of who will ride the other 2 dragons, what most people seem to fail to take into account is simple geography. It is why i don't see fAegon as a dragon rider. He's no longer in Essos. It is also why Tyrion is in part actually a good candidate. Other reasons being that he knows much of dragons, has dreamed of flying dragons and i think has a somewhat distant Targaryen ancestor, even when not taking into account the possibility of him being rapeborn by Aerys. Geography is also why a very small part of me is still pondering the theory i read about that Martell boy actually succeeding in steeling a dragon.

Last edited:
i know they where called dragonseeds, but is it confirmed then that they where one and all offspring of Targaryens in some way?

Pretty sure it says they were of uncertain lineage.

Now when it comes to dragon riders, and regarding the question of who will ride the other 2 dragons, what most people seem to fail to take into account is simple geography. It is why i don't see fAegon as a dragon rider. He's no longer in Essos. It is also why Tyrion is in part actually a good candidate. Other reasons being that he knows much of dragons, has dreamed of flying dragons and i think has a somewhat distant Targaryen ancestor, even when not taking into account the possibility of him being rapeborn by Aerys. Geography is also why a very small part of me is still pondering the theory i read about that Martell boy actually succeeding in steeling a dragon.

Quentyn Martell dies so he's out, unless you mean either Archibald Yronwood or Gerris Drinkwater. Which would be an interesting twist.

I wonder if any unclaimed dragons will follow the claimed ones to either the Nine Cities or Westeros

There is also a series (3 I think) about the Martell Master plan that actually has a lot of really solid points and comes across really well. Part of the theory is that it wasn't Quentyn who got burned up and actually died, it was one of the guards. In his POV chapter, he does get lit on fire, but how many times have we seen a POV chapter end with someone being apparently mortally wounded, only to pop back up in another POV.

I am not saying I am fully on board with this part of the theory, but check out the Martell Master Plan videos. A lot of what they say actually makes quite a bit of sense.

I suppose that's the biggest problem that particular theoy has. It has parts that make sense. Ha! Let's us all scoff in unsion at such ludicrousness. Making sense. Pfft!

If i where to tell you that Stannis his fool Patchface, whom we all know to be a descendant of Valyria, and perhaps a Blackfyre descendant itself is the actual father or at the very least uncle of fAegon, it would still be more believable. Cause it don't make sense. And theories that don't make sense are by their very definition plausible and believable. Cause we all want to wonder and believe in magic!

Why proof of Patchface nobility can quickly be found:
Malegorn: Lord Snow, who will lead this ranging?
Jon: Are you offering yourself, ser?
Malegorn: Do I look so foolish?
Patchface: I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.

Last edited:
Is this like the Wookiee defense from South Park?

"Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca!"

It seems i urgently need to put this thread back on track, and so i present to you:

Also Aegon is the son of Ashara Dayne and Ned Stark
(I feel like i should start apologising for all this nonsense, but who's to say there may be a hidden gem hiding underneath it all)

It seems i urgently need to put this thread back on track, and so i present to you:

Also Aegon is the son of Ashara Dayne and Ned Stark
(I feel like i should start apologising for all this nonsense, but who's to say there may be a hidden gem hiding underneath it all)

Aegon as the son of Ashara and Ned? Now that would be an ironic twist, since Ned killed her brother.

There is also a series (3 I think) about the Martell Master plan that actually has a lot of really solid points and comes across really well. Part of the theory is that it wasn't Quentyn who got burned up and actually died, it was one of the guards. In his POV chapter, he does get lit on fire, but how many times have we seen a POV chapter end with someone being apparently mortally wounded, only to pop back up in another POV.

I am not saying I am fully on board with this part of the theory, but check out the Martell Master Plan videos. A lot of what they say actually makes quite a bit of sense.

Barristan Seems to think it was Quentyn who died in the bed in the pyramid. Archibald Yronwood indicated he held Quentyns burning/ burnt body in side the pyramid.
Several POV's have died, true enough. But Quentyn is believed dead by those present in the chapter right after the incident.

Barristan Seems to think it was Quentyn who died in the bed in the pyramid. Archibald Yronwood indicated he held Quentyns burning/ burnt body in side the pyramid.
Several POV's have died, true enough. But Quentyn is believed dead by those present in the chapter right after the incident.
Believed dead? I need to reread this...