Crackpot theory: Aegon's true parentage

Agreed with Tywin, dragon blood is dragon blood. Remember Tyrion called Brown Ben out on just having a drop, and he got along swimmingly with Dany's dragons. Though Ben may have had Targ blood, I can't remember.

As Rhaegar's BFF, Connington seems too faithful to Aegon to just be passing him off as an imposter Targ knowingly. No, Connington is being duped by Varys and Illyrio. Aegon himself may not be the wiser.

As for Septa Lemore, there has been speculation that she is one of the sandsnakes mothers or Ashara Dayne. What was her tie to Rhaegar, chamber maid to Elia? Is Ashara related to Dark Star (sp?), who's trying to foment war between Dorne and Kings Landing. Perhaps he is trying to soften the landing for the Golden Company too, similar to Varys trying to keep the inept Cercie in power.

I am of the mindset that you are correct, A-roc. Lemore being Ashara Dayne seems interesting, as does Dark Star. He seems like a really interesting character to me but we know so little about him. I am also intrigued by the new head of the church in Kings Landing. There is more to that guy than we know and I have the hunch he isn't who people think he is.

Also, when will we see Howland Reed? Apparently he is the only person alive who knows the truth about Jon Snow.

New High Septon --> I smell a faceless men theory brewing
(Srr, old joke)

Tywin, we'll see. I don't buy it, but neither do I reject it either. The biggest reason is that Quaithe's prophecy has those people coming to Dany.... yet, Aegon has gone away from her. But we'll see, mayhaps Griff will bring Aegon to her in KL.

Kiwi, I don't recall you stating a theory that Varys is Illyrio's brother in-law before. So Varys is a Blackfyre? I've wondered before why Varys seems interested in a Targaryen return... Is he a ******* of the Mad King? Blackfyre seems better.

Varys. Vaerys. Viserys. Varys could be a nickname for Visaerys.

Tyrion asked Varys who he is. Varys claims to be a eunuch; castrated by a priest of R'hllor or some dark god. Is that story true? Did the priest know of his Targaryen roots? Melisandre wanted (and still wants) the blood of a king in order to perform more magic. Did the priest want a royal member to enhance his magic?

Why is Varys bald? Is it to hide the fact that he has silver-blonde hair?

Also, all the notorious Blackfyres had nasty nicknames... Bloodraven, Bitterstell, Monstrous... Why not add The Spider to that group?

Kiwi, can you expand more upon the Visaerys "Varys" Blackfyre/Illyrio's brother in-law theory?

I had the same crackpot theory as Kiwi but there I found nothing to support that. I was thinking of Varys as Aerion Brightflame's ******* as I remembered he was sent to Lys, exiled by Maekar in THK.

It was in ADWD that it was mentioned that Varys befriended a young bravo, Illyrio and started a "lost and found for a fee" business. They grew very rich....

Illyrio was shunned by the Prince of Pentos who is the father of his first wife when he took for a wife a Lyseni courtesan.

Btw, is Varys a true Lyseni or Lyseni-born?

Aside that Varys and the Mad King where all chummy chummy?
I can't really say i can list parts of conversations and stuff.
It's too far away from my mind, what remains after all these years are the overall story, and the impression certain characters/connections made upon me.

Varys has been chummy with others besides the last Targ king. I'm not sure that would count as evidence. His name does have Targ undertones, but then....if you're a "little lost boy" from some far off place you can call yourself anything. Just ask Arya...she's got a dozen aliases.

It was the Mad King who 'heard' of his talents and brought him to King's Landing.
From the moment the Targs fell, Varys has been working on getting them back to power. So he has only been chummy with others to further his own goals.

Found this passage hidden in one of Connington's chapters of ADWD:

"Your father's lands are beautiful," he said [remembering Rhaegar]. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes were a deep purple, darker than this boy's.

Seems to support the theory that Aegon is not Rhaegar's son.

The shade of purple in the eyes, and exact silver/gold coulouring has been knwon to be different from Targ to Targ. How could it not be.

Strictly speaking, of course it would be different....genetics are not finite. But the way that GRRM treats genetic traits in ASOIAF, the DNA seems to behave differently. I didn't say it was proof, but it could be a hint.

but remember that Aegon is still only half (or fractionally more than) a Targ even if Rhaegar and Elia are his parents. there are several mixed targs in THK that don't display any traditional Targ traits.

For all I know this Aegon could be Aerys's ******* :D

I think I smell a new crackpot theory brewing, and maybe not a bad one.

Mad King Aerys also seems to be inferred to be "Rapist King Aerys", at least on these boards. I know I've seen theories that he's actually Tyrion's father based on that. Do we have any evidence of who else he may have raped in the period shortly before Jaime Lannister killed him? Is there anything we have that might tie Septa Lemore back to him?

Yeah, he is the Raper King as his own sister-wife, Rhaella was also said to have been raped by him. I must have read it somewhere in AFFC or ADWD. I'm still halfway through with my reread of ACoK.

I think there's this that the Mad King have been to Tywin's and Joana's bedding. I can't remember who has said it or it might be Barristan who thunk it ;)

My list of possible victims:
Joana Lannister -- thus the incestuous twins Cersei and Jaime (I so wanted Tyrion to be Tywin's get, a real Lannister as what his aunt, Genna, told Jaime)
Ashara Dayne --"miscarried"
Elia Martell -- Aegon
Lyanna Stark -- Jon Snow

He sure did do a lot of rapin' for a guy who couldn't sit 5 minutes in his chair without getting cut. I hadn't considered the possibility that he raped Elia, it's definitely a possibility. If it's true he also raped Lyanna it would mean all three heads of the dragon are actually children of the mad king.

I still favor R+L=J personally.

I believe the R+L=J argument. As far as Aegon is concerned, it is certainly possible that Aerys might be his father instead of Rhaegar. I don't know how much stock I put in that but it is possible.

I don't offhand recall the location of the reference, but I do seem to remember that Aerys raped a number of women of common birth, as well...you know whenever he was sick of raping his sister-wife. Quite a catch, that one.