Father Chains

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Is it my imgaination, or is the fate of Father Chains never discussed in Lies of Locke Lamora (TLOLL) or Red Seas under Red Skies (RSURS)?

This I find odd - he's their mentor, but aside from his absence being noted in TLOLL, I don't recall the reader ever being told of what happened.

However, in RSURS, we do get a flashback scene with Father Chains in - but again, nothing is mentioned.

It just seems decidedly odd that while Sabetha is remembered, along with the other Gentlemen Bastards (Bug, Galdo, etc), nobody thinks at all on Father Chains and what happened to him.

Or has age addled my memory and his fate is clearly laid out? Did he go the same time as the twins?

Firstly -- SCOTT LYNCH FORUM!! Have wanted this for so long. I'm sure I've made more than just the one thread about him than that single one that's currently in the Scott forum, I'll check in a moment.

EDIT. Yeah, just one other that's still in general discussion http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/529942-waiting-for-lynch-and-the-republic-of-thieves.html

As to Father Chains, he's definitely not around when they're all grown up. I think they do the wine (or whatever) honour to him -- the pouring out on the floor for absent friends, I think (suddenly realising how long it's been since I've read these books) so I think I just always assumed that he'd died of old age. Be nice if at least one character managed to die naturally :D

Last edited:
Even if he died of old age, no one - at least in RSURS - thinks of him in any way other than when he raised them.

In other words, I don't recall a sense of loss, regret, or pain, about Chains not being there. Which seems odd considering he was their mentor and shaped them.

Perhaps it's simply that he went in a just way, as opposed to the Grey King's victims.

Yeah, I can't recall there being any details of when/how and because of this I think it felt like it happened a fair while ago. I can't even recall how old Locke and co are in the later years now, maybe giving some sort of time frame.

Definitely time for a reread, I reckon!

I thought Father Chains was the most interesting character in The Lies of Locke Lamora and was sorry we didn't see more of him.

Just read all 3 back to back. There's no mention of how he dies - I guess Scott Lynch is saving it for further down the sequence???......

Back