Patrick Rothfuss and the sex fairy

I liked the 2 books, enough for a second read - but Kvothe was getting bloody annoying second time round.
He's pretty much perfect at everything

• amazing wizard - check
• amaziing fighter - check
• amazing singer - check
• sex fairy conqueror - check

Really got on my nerves, but they are still very well written and I will get the third book...

For me there are a couple of things that mitigate the above:
- Kvothe is telling the story; its not an objective viewpoint
- As the framing story makes clear; all of the above doesn't stop him making a total mess of things.

Heh, sometimes I feel like the only person do doesn't mind a bit of explicitness in books - its certainly nothing that would prevent me buying a book (wouldn't convince me to buy it on that alone either - i'm not a Shades reader!)

I have no problem with explicitness, provided it serves the story (and it very well may in this instance, but I'm never going to find out). My problems with Rothfuss go far beyond a little slap and tickle.

I'll pretend I didn't see the two mods up above actively participating in thread derailment...

Yeah...that was a problem for me.

Generally speaking, though, The Name of the Wind was just, well, not my favorite book. Not my least favorite either, to be fair--Rothfuss is certainly a good writer, much better than most published fantasy authors. But I found Kvothe to be a really annoying protagonist, and felt the whole "wizard school" thing was a bit too Wizard of Earthsea/Harry Potter derivative for my tastes. People whose taste I respect love the series, but it just didn't do it for me.

And as if that isn't derailment enough... under 'Why doesn't Patrick Rothfuss have his own Forum? this was posted by Ursa....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Edgerton
Unfortunately, it's not practical to start subforums just because writers are popular or highly regarded. There needs to be sufficient interest here at the Chrons. Unless the writer is a member here (and is therefore assumed to generate and maintain interest in his or her own books), the current measure of sufficient interest is 10 threads devoted to that author, at least one or two have to be currently active.

So, look around and see if there are any threads, start one or two about some of his works that you like, and see if you can generate enough interest.

There are more than 10 threads on PR's work, and this one is currently active... he deserves his own subforum... fairy nuff?

Name of the Wind keeps coming up on my radar as a big recent fantasy debut, and one I should read as part of my exploration of the epic fantasy genre.

However ... something that puts me off is a piece I read before slamming his "sex fairy" section. Where the hero, Kothe, outsexes a sex fairy.

It's not that I'm averse to reading about sex, as much as that it sounds like completely ridiculous, easily on a par with Terry Goodkind's "evil chicken". The thing is, at least there's room to claim the evil chicken represented something philosophical. What's the claim with the sex fairy?

I mentioned it to a couple of friends who'd read it, and they did have a laugh about that bit, though they otherwise enjoyed it.

Think is, it is kind of putting me off reading Rothfuss. :)

Am I really missing out that much?

The Felurian segment really has very little to do with sex. I'm not familiar with the critique you're referring to, but I'd humbly like to submit that anyone who thinks it was a pointless diversion of the narrative has probably missed the entire point of the experience.

This was a pretty funny thread to read through. Sex fairy... I never really found it to be graphic or disturbing. At least I dont remember him writing the Chapters in a raunchy way.

I have to be careful sometimes, I can read a book and not be affected by the sex, violence or language. I have recommended books like GRRM to my brother who is very religious but loves fantasy books. Shame on me for disregarding the sex, incest, murders and brutal violence.

Sex seems to be something that typically wasn't in Epic Fantasy until the past decade or so. Or I just was reading the lighter stuff. I am pretty sure Feist, Eddings, Brooks and the like never had any chapters about out-sexing the ultimate fairy siren.

But now the language seems to have grown up with authors like GRRM, Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, taking books to a place they never went in the genre before.

And I don't mind any of their nature but I am still a big fan of politically correct, adventure fantasy as well. They all have a place in the world.

About the only problem I have with this section of the story is yet again the lead character proves to be able to amazingly survive things that are the bane of everyone else. The lead character's lack of failings can be a little irritating at times :)

I know I'm really late replying on this thread, but I'm right in the middle of the Felurian Bit, listening to the audio books at work. I must admit it's going on and on a bit now, I'm kind of wondering when it's going to end. I don't mind sex in these sorts of books at all but it's so kind of... cheesy, I guess. Or sappy. I can see how it might be relevant later on, but he's taking his sweet time getting to the point.

If I was actually reading the books, rather than listening to them, I'd probably have started skimming ahead a few chapters ago. But apart from this Felurian thing, I've been really enjoying this series.

I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but for people saying that Rothfuss's books needed a tighter edit, I disagree.

He spent a lot of time editing those books, and making sure every little detail was important to the story, whether for plot, foreshadowing, atmosphere, character development, etc. There isn't any spare writing in there.

To me, the fact that TOR has put up a roughly 200000 word analysis and reread (here...of all of the little hints and plot bits and stuff...well, that indicates that he's made a pretty tight story with a lot of thought put into it.

If I had to pick a bit that was less crucial, it'd probably be the Felurian bit, but judging by the role of the Fae (Bast...Auri(?)) in the whole thing, it'll probably turn out to be pretty important.

It's been over a year since I read Wise Man's Fear, but I don't remember being bothered by the subject matter of the Felurian section. What did bother me was that it felt like it dragged on and on...and on. If there was one section in either of his books that I thought could be cut down, it would be that one.

I've just finished the book so its still on my mind.

I was actually waiting for some steamy action in the first book, but disappointingly nothing, and then WHAM the whole Sex fairy scene, which was a bit of an overkill! I would have been happy at that point with some light snogging. Its not that the scene was particularly raunchy or explicit. I think it was the whole 'thousand hands' and other various names (already forgotten) for Kvothe's sexual prowess that made me cringe! who does that please!

I heard you the first time!!;):)

What's somewhat disappointing about the Felurian bit, is that it's actually believed by the others, and the proof of the pudding is the serving wench at the Inn...! The cloak and the talking tree are obviously going to be very important later, and I quite liked this section on its own.

BUT: she's a legend, of the fae, thousands of years old, why aren't people flocking to see Kvothe, once the news gets out??? It's barely mentioned again, apart from when he discusses it with his friends (about how old he is, for goodness' sake!) and with Elodin who recognises the cloak he's wearing. It's as though 'plot point 4: ticked, let's move on to something else'. I can't help thinking it would have been better if Kvothe caught up with them at the Inn, and made up a plausible story that he kept on running and eventually found himself back in the forest a few hours later, that kind of thing. He must know that every scribe, every sun reporter, every storyteller, every musician in the world is going to be chasing him for the rest of his life for an account of his time with her.

Well he did have witnesses who saw him run after Felurian in the wood, so I guess that would explain why others believed him. But yes.. how could a serving wench tell a man's sexual prowess by the look in his eyes! ridiculous!! Still saying that I didn't find the whole Felurian scene dragged on and on or anything.

I agree the talking tree is important so I guess he had to make the trip to the Fae world and lets face it he had to lose his virginity sooner or later, so killing two birds with one stone kind of thing! plot point 4 ticked.

I think the whole Felurian thing was mentioned again, he wrote a song about it which is now circulating the local taverns. Denna purposefully didn't mention it which is self explanatory as to why! And I can understand why no one else (outside the tavern) would believe him, most of the stories about him are untrue, and he's only 16 - just a boy really!!

If there are things that annoy me about the book, its not the Felurian scene, its how amazingly good he is at everything! Which I guess would be a different thread?
Still I really enjoyed the book, and can't wait for the next one, although maybe waiting some time!

I don't know, I think I quite like a book with a main character that is 'annoyingly good at everything' sometimes... maybe I'm just a bit weird but it satisfies the perfectionist in me!