Italics: underline or italicise?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Originally when I started writing, italics in a story were underlined.

However, it seems to have become a lot more common for italics to be simply italicised in a manuscript, presumably because it's a lot simply and easier these days with everything being computerised.

Question is, is underline for italics still any form of acceptable norm? Is this more prevalent in the UK over the USA?

Input appreciated!

Context is a MS for submission. Here in the UK at least, my understanding has been that unnderline was the norm for italics - but that it may be falling out of use.

Doesn't it depend who you're submitting to? I'm sure I've submitted stories with italics underlined. Generally, though, people seem to prefer italics as italics now.

(@SciFrac -- when you want something to appear in italics in the finished manuscript, you (used to) underline them in the submission ms)

In the past, it was rather difficult to type in italics, so something else - in this case, underlining - had to be used to represent the required italic characters.

Now that the writing community has access to real italics (whether in a printed or electronic manuscript), it would almost be perverse to continue with underlining, unless the agent or publisher insists on it in their submission guidelines. (An editor's or agent's submission guidelines trump everything else.)

Last edited:
I say the same as everyone else. Underline was the norm in typewriter days, but not now. Now, unless stated otherwise, it's safe to use italics.

Like Ursa has said it was a convention for back in the day of the typewritten and handwritten manuscripts. Two years ago when I started submitting things like this were specified along with the fact the manuscript should be word processed. The instructions no longer appear on websites so I am guessing it is now expected that the work will be word processed and italics used.

However, like Ursa says if an agent or publisher specified otherwise I would change it or go elsewhere.

Fun days when times change. Ursa is right on the money with it that underlining is a throwback to the typewriter days that has now been phased out unless a particular agent/publisher is still caught up in those old days and prefers them for some reason.

It's the same with courier font being phased out. You can still use it, but thanks to Times New Roman being made popular by Microsoft Word, you can use that font instead. Times New Roman is much easier on the eyes.

I like Callibri and figure they're not going to trunk me for a perfectly legible font choice. I write better in it.

I don't know... I wouldn't push the issue if they spell it out clearly on their website. I've always heard that the wrong font will get you tossed out.

I like Callibri and figure they're not going to trunk me for a perfectly legible font choice. I write better in it.

So write in that and change when you sub - it only takes a few clicks.

I italicise italics, unless the subs guides say otherwise.

Sub guides trump everything else. They say send it in wing dings, they get wing dings!