How to format a manuscript in Microsoft Word?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I find myself getting confused on how to properly format a manuscript in Microsoft Word (I'm using 2007).

I know I had an option box somewhere that popped up and I inputted figures that seemed to make sense. Can't find it now!

Now I'm looking at the "Page Layout" tab and wondering if I can do most everything from there.

It looks as though I can set left and right margins using the "Indent" section under the Page Layout tab. Fine.

However, I've got an odd issue where everytime I press return at the end of a paragraph, I have a full line space between paragraphs.

Left formatting, text type and size all seems simple enough - am used to that.

Does anyone have any quick pointers on what's required to specifically set up Word formatting so that it's in MS format?

To date, I've tried to ensure I'm basically writing in maniscript format, but with single line spacing instead of double line - so that point can be easily changed.

However, despite normally being used to computers and Word, I'm not so confident with the formatting options!!

I'm not sure about setting it up fully in manuscript format but the paragraph issue you mention is one I can help with.

For some reason it seems to be the norm with Word 97 to put that annoying space in every time you hit return, but on the Home menu, if you access the full Paragraph options, there is a little box on the bottom of the screen that allows you to remove the line if you tick it - whether this can be made as default I don't really know, but if you tick it at the start of a manuscript or highlight all you have typed then do it, it removes the line.

You aren't gonna be rejected because your manuscript is slightly different to the norm in one way or other if your story is good enough. I prefer 0.3" in indents instead of the standard 0.5", and I can't see that anyone would complain... I also prefer Times New Roman to Courier New, and would use that unless an agent specifically asked otherwise.

But the simple "Page Setup" and "Paragraph Options" are what you're looking for. Specifically, these settings will make your MS look like what agents/editors are after:

1_zpscdb76c9c.jpg

The "spacing before" and "after" are what's giving you the line after each paragraph.

2_zps9045e7cf.jpg

3_zpscb2dd080.jpg

I once pressed the "Default..." button on each page after I'd set the options as above, so whenever I start a new Word document, my settings default to the ones above (except my 0.3" indents instead of 0.5").

EDIT: I should point out that if you don't select all your text first before making the above paragraph changes, it won't do anything. Ctrl A first, then change your "Spacing" and stuff.

Oh, and here's the button where you find your paragraph options:

4_zps3ac51c87.jpg

And one that shows where all options are:

5_zps7bb54835.jpg

Last edited:
It's one of my pet hates that Word 2007 has a line after paragraphs by default. It's incredibly annoying.

It's one of my pet hates that Word 2007 has a line after paragraphs by default. It's incredibly annoying.

Yes, I agree. Whenever I start a new document, that's the first thing I change; the spacing after the paragraph.

I find Word automatically defaults to 1" margins for me though.

On the subject: how the flippin' heck can I set any new word document to open in Times New Roman 12? It always defaults to Tahoma 11, which is danged annoying...

BTW thanks Leisha, you answered I Brian's questions that I'd been wanting to ask for a while!

Leisha is the new "Brains."

Thunderbirds are go... well not quite. She's still got her lippy and eyeliner to do:eek:

Glad to help!

Boneman, go here...

6_zps6b448712.jpg

...and then set the font to Times New Roman, size 12, then hit the "Default..." button, which will ask you if you want to change the default Word template to these settings. If you press yes, Word will always open with that font. :)

Or use the template Phyrebrat has provided above. :)

Hope this helps. now I'm off to bed! G'night, everyone!

Once you've got it all to your satisfaction, save it as a 'style' (mine is cunningly called 'book'). Each time you open a new doc, go to styles and formatting, click your saved style, bingo.

On the subject: how the flippin' heck can I set any new word document to open in Times New Roman 12? It always defaults to Tahoma 11, which is danged annoying...

Try Googling the question. That's what I did and found the answer. Sorry I can't remember how, but I think it was an easy fix.

EDIT: Pipped to the post!

Last edited:
I really don't understand Microsoft's need to change the default font. They used Times New Roman for years, and it became the standard, and now they go and set Calibre as the default font in the latest versions of Word.

I wonder if a few years from now Calibre will be considered the standard because of this, instead of TNR?