A Song Of Fire And Ice book titles

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
For some reason I thought Winds of Winter was supposed to be the last book in the series, but I'm sure I've seen someone suggest another projected title after (Springs of something or other).

In which case, according to the current stage of series development, are are the total projected novel titles?

So far we have:

1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords
4. A Feast For Crows
5. A Dance with Dragons
6. The Winds of Winter

Any others to add?

Do you think the title change was made because GRRM thought the original title gave away to much or was misleading?

The first one seems more plausible to me since it would be the last book, but I can see arguments in the favour of the second reason. However, I think the real reason is that it no longer fitted Martin's vision of the ending.

Dunno, but the former title certainly suggested better times for the Starks. However, I would think it's quite arguable a series less about the Starks as much as the world now, and the change of title reflects that.

I think GRRM just liked the spring title better. He said the end would be melancholic like LotR, so the title reflects the presence of hope (or at least some hope) in the world.

A Time for Wolves might not necessarily be spoilery: whilst it suggests a Stark renaissance, it could also be vengeance. The Starks may end up dead or in exile or imprisoned, but wreak havoc before they go.