Publication Search Engines

Heck Tate

The Fleet Footed
Long time no post for me. Duotrope has recently changed over to a subscription system where you have to pay in order to use their search engine and view the statistics they've gathered about the publishers. I've really come to like these features, especially the average response times and average acceptance/rejection rates. Does anyone else know of a site with similar functionality that I can still use for free, or will I just have to start paying to use Duotrope?

I'm in a similar boat. I have two stories out there for consideration and when they're rejected, I've saved details of my next four options.

I may pay eventually. Given the small number of stories I have, it doesn't make pure financial sense. I'd have to spend sixty of your Yankee dollars per year but would be unlikely to make much more than that. But it's not really about the financials, except that getting paid makes me feel like a real writer (and getting paid very little would make me feel even more like a real writer), so I'll probably cave in when my next four options run out.

Collective searching? It feels like cheating, but if you change that coffee for a blueberry muffin...

You're on... It isn't cheating, just targeted market research. Yes, that's mangement jargon, but a useful one. :D besides, isn't that what changing the service will drive more to? Market demographics etc.

I like Duotrope and I'll miss it's search capabilities. I can't afford to subscribe at present, but there is always Ralan, which is free.

It's a different set-up, being more of a listings site, with separate sections for different markets (professional, semi-pro, token, etc.). However, the amount of information on-site is good, with links to the publication sites and regular updates.

Duotrope make you pay now?! Barstewards! Pah. They can jog on then. Yeah, I'd second Ralan.

Thanks, I'll definitely have to check out Ralan. I was surprised that Duotrope wouldn't even let me submit the stuff I had lined up before they switched over. They won't even take my market research for free.

I've always favoured Ralans over Duotrope. Both do the job admirably, but the latter is more clinical and professional, the former more quirky and friendly -- which seems more in keeping with genre fiction somehow; but perhaps that's just me.

I've always favoured Ralans over Duotrope. Both do the job admirably, but the latter is more clinical and professional, the former more quirky and friendly -- which seems more in keeping with genre fiction somehow; but perhaps that's just me.

Same here. I always found Duotrope a bit confusing, but then I confuse easily:rolleyes:. Always have used Ralan.