Discussion thread -- 75 WORD WRITING CHALLENGE January 2013

For the first time I instantly have an idea I absolutely love! Probably going to mangle it, but if I don't and manage to harnesses it in under the word count I think I could beone of those who fuss and hone and perfect this month rather than a "Whee I got an idea under the count quick post it before it escapes" type :)

Ooh, cyberpunk, this should be fun. I always did like the cyberpunk genre. Better than steampunk or straight-out space age.

And changes? The two could go hand in hand. Now to think...this is going to be a busy month.

Interesting topic. Got an idea already, but going to think about it for a bit. Got the whole month, so no hurry. :)

This is going to be hard. I'm not techy enough for cyber, and i have a very hopeful view of history so dystopian is hard too. I will have a struggle for a story.

It need not be dystopian, Parson. What cyberpunk refers to is, essentially, a world with both magic and advanced technology. It cuts very close to science fantasy, but I believe the difference between the two tends to be the races of cyberpunk are more in tune with traditional fantasy.

Yeah, something like a story set in a dystopian sci-fi city and involving gangs, mafia, triad, or even just a corrupt government that uses thugs to deal with their issues would be cyberpunk.

I still say I prefer my version of cyberpunk. :p Equating the term to steampunk but far more advanced technologically.

Well...that's something in, already regretting it. *shakes head* I'm not entirely sure it fits the theme. I only hope the mods think it can.

Last edited:
We don't remove stories on the basis of theme and genre - after all, it can be largely subjective. Better to hope the voters think it fits!

My thanks to Teresa for kicking this challenge off. I've now had a couple of hours sleep ahead of the impending 'visit family' saga so will probably crash and burn later this afternoon.

Oh, and Happy New Year to you all!

It need not be dystopian, Parson. What cyberpunk refers to is, essentially, a world with both magic and advanced technology. It cuts very close to science fantasy, but I believe the difference between the two tends to be the races of cyberpunk are more in tune with traditional fantasy.

I think you're thinking of the Shadowrun role playing game. It had a return of magic and fantasy races into a cyberpunk world.

I'm in with a play on the robotic laws. I thought about sitting on it and polishing, but I've got to go out and get drunk so I've just posted. Happy New Year guys.

I'm experimenting with 3rd person in another story - the opening to one chapter being lifted to provide the first two lines of this month's entry. Sorry!

There was I letting the day glide by, and if I thought about the challenge it was a vague thought along the lines of it's New Years Day. Everyone will be hungover or relaxing, I bet we'll have very few entries on the first day, if any.

And we're already up to seven.

I'm quite taken with challenge this month, I've got a vague idea just not sure whether I can get it down to 75 words.

Hopefully the comments will start tomorrow.

I am posted. Interesting month. I am looking forward to everyones stories

I just posted but its been so long I completely forgot about the title. lol

You have until 00:54 GMT to add your title, juelz4sure, but to be on the safe side, add one now.