Discussion -- 300 Word Challenge #8

Congratulations to both Mouse & The Judge. Both excellent stories.

And a belated thanks (I've been tied up a lot lately) to Starbeast, Perpetual Man, and Victoria Silverwolf for the nice comments and especially to Phyrebrat for the short-listing.

Me too! :D

...did you happen to recognize it in my story, by any chance? I kind of picked up where it leaves off, making the assumption that he had finally decided to marry her after all, and went from there.

*rant on* I should take this opportunity to apologize (though it's no fault of my own) for the misspellings and odd punctuation of that particular "video" -- I hadn't watched it before posting it, and just wanted a link to the song itself. I don't know why it is that people who make PowerPoint presentations of lyrics on YouTube don't bother doing them correctly. It's very annoying. *rant off*

Honestly I hadn't, I had to go back and see if id made it that far reading through the thread first time round. I don't think I had. Quite liked it on its own but knowing the song makes the bit about the Spanish silver more poignant. I'll admit I didn't read it quite as you wrote it. I read it that he was planing on proposing and the sea, jealous woman that she is, marooned him. Not that all her jealous mechinations could keep them from loving one another.
Tragically heart warming. Would have made my list at least.

Last edited:
Woo! I'm back. What's that you say? You didn't even realise I'd gone? Oh.
I assumed you were ensconced with the milk chocolate hob nobs going through the list at The Book Depository deciding on your winnings... :p

And TJ? Always the bridesmaid, eh? What happened in July 2011? You won? Oh yes. Whereas I'm usually not even allowed in the church. ;)
Huh. That's years ago... And what's one measly wedding, eh? I intend to be the Elizabeth Taylor, the Zsa Zsa Gabor of the Challenges! :D

And I look terrible in pink satin, whereas white is perfect for me! (Which is appropriate, seeing as it's going to be a white wash here... :eek:)

(Apropos of one not being enough:

A fading old lady of Lyme
Married three men at a time
When asked "Why the third?"
She replied "One's absurd,
And bigamy, sir, is a crime."

With apologies to WC Monkhouse.)

I read it that he was planing on proposing and the sea, jealous woman that she is, marooned him. Not that all her jealous mechinations could keep them from loving one another.
Tragically heart warming. Would have made my list at least.

Aww, thanks! And yes, that's actually what I meant by "he had finally decided to marry her" -- he was planning on proposing, and the sea kept him from her out of jealousy, because it had always been "his life, his lover, his lady".

I went for Mouse as she got one of my votes before I left. Congratulations to both of you.

Thanks to everyone who shortlisted or mentioned my story. I had written an entirely different one but it just didn't have a kick to it and I was loath to post it. Then I saw a documentary on Circuses on the BBC Timeshift series and the story made itself. Very grateful thanks to Stormcrow, Crystal Haven and Springs for the votes. :)

pH

Well, shipmates, thanks for your valiant efforts in the voting but unless the soul-collector turns out to be a soul-and-vote deliverer, it seems the miniscule rodent was too much for us. *gazes glumly at the pink satin...* :p

Congratulations, Mouse!

Last minute rush of voters not withstanding. Congrats Mouse.
You both had excellent stories. And good work to everyone who posted an entry.

The tie-breaker poll is now closed.

Congratulations, Mouse!

And commiserations to The Judge.

Congratulations Mouse

And commiserations to The Judge

So, are we having the 300 Challenge every other month?

Congrats, Mouse, and commiserations, TJ! Pink taffeta surely becomes you. Or you become it, or you become one with it, or something like that.

***Oops, that was pink satin, wasn't it?***

Eeek! Can't believe it. :D :D

Thanks for the votes and the congrats, guys! Yay!

Congratulations Mouse! :)
(Will you get a book about food, I wonder? :p)

And, commiserations, to The Judge. (I'm told pointy heels and judicious elbows help in catching the bouquet ;))

Great stories, both of you.