Do you write longhand or type it?

• Longhand all the way!

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • It's 2013, I type it.

Votes: 24 82.8%

• Total voters

shamguy4

I hope I'm allowed to post a poll.
I wanted to know how many people still write longhand like me...
I continue to do so because in college all my papers and essays did so much better when first written longhand.
It could be because I would then rewrite it onto the computer and the rewriting would fix all errors. This is opposed to me typing it straight onto the computer and then editing it by changing a few things here and there. However there is no rewrite when its already on the computer.

I am also a web developer which means using a computer has a LOT of distractions....

up top. Sorry, I think the post was made while I was still making the poll part of it.
I'm actually afriad to do it typing. I'm 24 and grew up with laptops and I have never touched a typewriter, but somehow writing on a plain paper is special... My pen somehow connects with my head better... Then again I could be crazy.

I do both. Probably type about 90% though, but I do handwrite scenes then have to type them up.

I make notes in a notepad (I keep several of them: desk, bedside table, jacket) if I don't have access to a computer. Sometimes, I type those into my phone, though - always available notepad. ;)

Otherwise, I type them in. Probably faster for me, as well, and, like springs, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to transcribe everything. Plus, a computer allows me to play about with word and sentence order, rather than using more and more sheets of paper.

I will say, I miss my old typewriter. Not so much the reams of paper - I like a screen - but there was something really comfortable about the keys of a typewriter: more solid than a computer keyboard.

Couldn't vote. I type, but not because of the year. I've typed since I was a teenager (admittedly, with aforementioned mechanical device), which was the late 80s.

I mostly type, because it's faster and easier to edit, but I always carry a notebook and several pens so I can write as the ideas come.

I type because I am a fast typist (over 75 wpm!) and yknow, I spend my time welded to my laptop. But I find that planning and brainstorming is always easier on paper, I don't know why.

I still do most of my writing with a pen and paper. I get more inspiration that way, and I find it easier to edit when it comes to typing it all up. Usually, when I start typing a story up first, I find it too easy to go back and change what I've written, and I don't get as much done.

I do a bit of both, although it seems to becoming more and more typing.

That being said one of the cool new application with touchscreen devices - my tablet for one is the ability to literally write ion the screen and the computer surprisingly accurately translates it into typeface.

In order of preference - typing if I have access to any sort of physical keyboard; Evernote for audio notes if not; pen and paper if I can't use Evernote due to location. Any sort of real writing of any length, typing all the way.

Actually, a great deal of my 'whatifs' are written by hand (I've lost a lot of ideas to poor handwriting:eek:) but the moment I start a wip, it's on the computer. I'm still toying with the idea of speech recognition, but that would still count as typed...

I type much quicker than I write, I write better when I type, and I think it would waste my time writing in paper then typing in PC. :)

Back when I was at uni I never had access to a laptop, so I was forced to write. But given the choice I'd prefer to type; it's just so much more convenient, faster and I always find writing hurts my hands after awhile because I have a bad habit of putting too much pressure behind it.

As mentioned earlier, this post was written longhand but actually writing on the tablet screen!

So it is very hard for me to vote, because I use both!

Definitely typing, but then when I want that perfect word, (I wish) I tend to write the options long hand. If anyone looked over my desk after a particularly gruesome, depressing, or any other extreme emotional part of my wip, they'd think I was a lunatic or someone to give a wide birth to.

When I have access to a computer, I type.

When I don't, I use pen and paper.

This works for me, since most of my first drafts are like film scripts, just dialogue and a few "stage directions" (smile, laugh, cry, punch character B in nose, etc).

Definitely need the computer when polishing the film script into a coherent story.

Back